The Sky Crawlers

###The Sky Crawlers

[quote]Genres: action, drama, psychological
Themes: aircraft, death, military
Objectionable content: Significant
Plot Summary: The story unfolds in another ‘possible’ modern age. The main characters are youngsters called “Kildren”, who are destined to live eternally in their adolescence. The Kildren are conscious that every day could be the last, because they fight a “war as entertainment” organized and operated by adults. But as they embrace the reality they are faced with, they live their day-to-day lives to the full.
Running time: 121 minutes
Vintage: 2008-08-02[/quote]
ANN Info Page

RightStuf Link
Sky Crawlers DVD (Hyb)

So anyone see this masterpiece yet? When I first saw this it left me speechless. It quickly became a favorite movie of mine. It’s a very smart flick. Well written and directed too. It’s all very emotional. And the themes it deals with are very pressing. Not to mention all the messages it sends out, and the ways in which it does so just leaves me in awe. It’s very layered, and there’s a lot going on under the surface of the basic plot. And the pace is Godly. Don’t even get me started on the breathtaking artwork and stunning music. There’s not a thing about this that I did not love. Why isn’t this talked about more damn it!?

I highly recommend this. If you haven’t seen it please do yourself a favor and watch it. It’s not an action movie however, so keep that in mind while watching. This is a mature movie, something that really makes you think, and pulls at your heart a little bit (very small spoilers) It’s very emotional, which is a bit ironic actually in retrospect . I don’t think the younger crowd would enjoy it, they might find it boring. But this is a must watch for the older fans. We need more movies like this.

(Some Random thoughts about the movie in spoiler below. Don’t read unless you finished watching the movie)

spoiler

I really liked the use of handguns in this anime. I’m not sure why but the scenes when a character is aiming a gun at someone (or themselves) really hits me hard. More-so in this anime then most. And that one scene in the car Kusanagi with the gun…is so…wooah. That’s a scene alright :blush: . She’s really hot in that scene :wink:

:unsure: It is already out?

It just came on demand on TWC like last week!

It was in the movies awhile ago (December 08 I think?), and came out on DVD and Blu-Ray in May man. Where have you been? Had no idea this was on On Demand though.

Regular on-demand…let me see if it is still there. It said pre-screening…guess it was a year late. :huh:

Nope…it’s gone, but Push and Inkheart are still there. :frowning: I just went to Walmart for Pocky too.

lol pre-screening. Little late. Perhaps it was a mistake on their part? It wouldn’t be the first time. Well anyway I highly recommend it. Just be aware many consider the paceing too slow. I found it perfect though.

Is it slower than the thing it reminded me of? Last Exile.

I’ve only seen a handfull of episodes of Last Exile so far. But so far that series has very little similarities to this movie. The only thing they both share are weird plane like things. IMO they are very different types of anime. The pace may be about the same as that though, or maybe a little slower, But it held my attention better if that makes any sense at all.

:angry: I am too tired to go back to Walmart to see if they have it. Guess I will have to find the money for it, and it somewhere now you have ocnvinced me to get it.

It’s a great movie, I’m sure your’ll like it. You won’t be disapointed.

I liked it okay, I like the ending(which apparently is different from the original story) and for once I agree with a message that Oshii pushed.

The flying scenes were nuts though.