When did you know?

Hey I’m Stefan. New to the site and thought I’d introduce myself as well as ask a question to any who happen by. When did you know you were an anime fanboy(or girl)? What was your “in”?

For me, it was Last Exile. I had watched a lot of anime before it on Adult Swim (this was in my newbie days), such as Trigun and Inu Yasha, but I KNEW I was hooked when I happened across Last Exile on what used to be G4TechTv. It was the one that did it for me.

Now I’d have to say my current favorites are:
Last Exile (of course)
Eureka Seven
Elfen Lied
Shuffle!
Angel Beats
Bleach
Excel Saga
Blue Gender
FMA Brotherhood
Darker Than Black

Nice to meet you. Welcome to TAN. If you have any questions, let us know.

As for my in, it was Descendants of Darkness. I bought the first disc on a whim and after watching it, immediately ordered the rest from Amazon. That was back in 2002. I’ve buying ever since. :slight_smile:

First anime I saw was G-Force around 1979. I was a big fan of Star Blazers and Robotech. The anime that made me a full fan was Dominion Tank Police when it was shown on the Sci-Fi channel in the early 90’s. It was the first anime I ever bought.

Hello! Welcome to TAN! Enjoy your stay!

I used to watch random episodes of different anime that were airing on Adult Swim as far back as maybe 2002 I think? I was around 11 years old so that makes sense. I always enjoyed anime over american cartoons whenever I watched it. So I guess it was back in 2002 that I realized that I really like anime. The first series I ever watched in its entirety though was Fullmetal Alchemist in 2007, though I already really liked anime before that. I had never bothered to watch anything more than a few episodes of a series though, and most of that was what Adult Swim showed on any particular night (back when they actually showed anime every night they were on).

Hello, welcome to Anime Network.

Although I knew anime before then, the anime that made me a fan (or “in” for that matter), was when I watched Mahou Sensei Negima when it first came out in 2005, that basically sealed it for me as regards anime, even though I had Adult Swim back then as well. Trigun would be the other thing that got me into anime as well, cuz Vash happens to be my favorite character.

Welcome to the Board!!! :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Once Ikari Shinji said the words “Don’t Run Away” I was destined to be an Anime fan. Cause he looked directly at me and said it…or maybe he was looking at the ground but anyway sounds better that way^^

Hope you enjoy your time and please keep it touch! Look forward to reading your posts :slight_smile:

Welcome to TAN! I’m Newshawk, the lovable but cantankerous Otaku Grandpa of the group, a TAN Casting Sensei (along with LadyOfWicca, PretearHimeno and Mystic), the benevolent dictator of the Claim Your Bishoujo/Bishounen game and compulsive list maker (not to mention the internationally-renown author of that classic in the making, “Bokuto Precinct of the DEAD”). You’ve made it to the best little slice of anime heaven this side of the Pacific!

As for the question on the table… for me, it was Please Teacher back in about 2005. That series was totally not what I expected it to be. It was sweet, funny and told a rich, full story. It had excellent characters, authentic settings and (most importantly) a heart.

I watched my first anime back in the mid to late '60s- Astro Boy, Speed Racer, Gigantor, Marine Boy and my then-favorite, 8th Man. Back then, if it was called anything, it was called Japanamation.

Warm welcomes, no trolls. Good first impression.

I hope I can carry on with that. :wink:

Hello and welcome to these great TAN boards, Stefan!! :3 Sounds like you have quite a few share-able favorites, especally Brotherhood. :slight_smile:

Well, what did it for me was Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, and you will see that it is my favorite show if you follow me around long enough (or just look at my signature and avatar :stuck_out_tongue: ). I knew I was hooked then, and as I went on to Gurren Lagann it solidified me into the fan I am now. ^-^

Anyway, I hope you have an awesome time on here posting around and making many new friends!! :lol:

srender07 wrote:

Nah, we don’t have many trolls here, and they keep to themselves for the most part… for example, I only troll Tager. :evil:

Hornet65 wrote:

[quote]srender07 wrote:

Nah, we don’t have many trolls here, and they keep to themselves for the most part… for example, I only troll Tager. :evil:[/quote]

You really are something, aren’t you? :dry:

Well Stefan, as long as you know the difference between sarcastic humor and trolling, you should be fine. :wink:

Iron K. Tager wrote:

[quote]Hornet65 wrote:

Nah, we don’t have many trolls here, and they keep to themselves for the most part… for example, I only troll Tager. :evil:
You really are something, aren’t you? :dry:

Well Stefan, as long as you know the difference between sarcastic humor and trolling, you should be fine. ;)[/quote]

Sarcastic humor is so much fun!

We keep most of the trolls locked in a special “not as fun” section of Slowhand’s dungeon when they get out of hand.

Hello and welcome to you. My first anime was a horrible bootleg copy of Akira on VHS and I was still hooked.

Welcome to you!

I guess my first was the Adult Swim block - InuYasha, Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, etc. I fell in love and never looked back! I probably watched more before then as well without even realizing what it was.

Enjoy the site!

hey there welcome, it seems like a lot of us got the same start into anime that being adult swim, same for me. the show that got me was scryed adult swim had played it for awhile then took it off air before i could watch it from start to end so i bought the box set

I watched old school late 90’s Adult Swim but the show I remember was Boogiepop Phantom on Tech TV back in the day. That is a crazy anime. I also saw Ninja Scroll on HBO a long time ago.

Welcome to the forums!

I hope you enjoy your stay!

Hmm this might be a difficult question for me to answer.

I could say from the first anime I watched, which were Sailor Moon (DIC version) and Pokemon. I immediately loved the different art style and contextual plot of a continuing story, rather than the singular events of an episodic series.

However, I knew for a fact once I saw Eureka Seven on adult swim. It was so good, I bought all 12 individual DVDs (keep in mind, I was at my fist job then so I didn’t have that much cash lol :sweat:) which I still have today, including the somewhat rare disk 11 :grin:

1 Like