Anime Suggestions!

A ménage a trois :blush: of classic sword and fantasy

Record of Lodoss War

Bastard!!

Heroic Legend of Arslan

I can get behind that as ADV was the king of S&S type shows, though they were generally comedic. Better that Sentai/Maiden get it than (shudder) Discotek (if Discotek were to get them then their cover art wouldn’t even look as good as these tiny images in this thread…).

My suggestion for a license rescue is

Scrapped Princess

The reasons why I think Sentai should do a license rescue is:

-It already has a dub

-It’s by Ichiro Sakaki, who also created Polyphonica. Outbreak Company and the upcoming Spring 2014 anime Hitsugi no Chaika (Coffin Princess Chaika).

If Media Blasters doesn’t have the license anymore, or if they’d be willing to let you all do a Blu-Ray Release of the OVA series (Blu-Ray was recently released in Japan last year) This would be one of the few I would upgrade to BD if it were available.

hey still fairly new to the anime thing. had a question, what all licenses does Anime Network own/use? and a 2nd question is there any chance of them getting MANGA entertainment? thanks in advance

While not a complete listing, you can see most of the titles Anime Network has Blog / Important Notice for Anime Network Online Users - Anime Network.

As for your second question, do you mean acquire the whole company or just some titles from Manga Ent?

[quote=“Slowhand” post=163092]

While not a complete listing, you can see most of the titles Anime Network has Blog / Important Notice for Anime Network Online Users - Anime Network.

As for your second question, do you mean acquire the whole company or just some titles from Manga Ent?[/quote]

oh sorry Slowhand meant titles from MANGA like Chrono Crusade, Dirty Pair Flash, etc

[quote=“Animefan34” post=163161]

As for your second question, do you mean acquire the whole company or just some titles from Manga Ent?

oh sorry Slowhand meant titles from MANGA like Chrono Crusade, Dirty Pair Flash, etc[/quote]

Tragically, despite being done by ADV (a company related to Sentai/TAN), Chrono Crusade has been snatched up by Funimation and they aren’t streaming it on their site.

I see celestial, thanks for the info on that. didn’t MANGA also do the street fighter 2 and alpha anime series’/movies? granted, they would prolly have to get Capcom’s permission as well to view them.

ok one more question and I will be done. this will more than likely be moved to the Hulu section, but I was just wondering who I talk to about maybe possibly getting more dubs on there or at least, have like a little thing in parentheses on which ones have an English dub. thank you for your patience and have a good day

Did you look at the Blog / Important Notice for Anime Network Online Users - Anime Network page I linked you to? Although it’s not specifically for Hulu, it will give you an idea which shows are dubbed.

Also, here’s a list of https://www.theanimenetwork.com/component/option,com_kunena/Itemid,183/catid,4/func,view/id,117437/, it lists the anime that has all episodes for free, by Subtitled and Dub.

[quote=“Slowhand” post=163191]

Did you look at the http://www.theanimenetwork.com/Watch-Online/AZIndex page I linked you to? Although it’s not specifically for Hulu, it will give you an idea which shows are dubbed.

Also, here’s a list of https://www.theanimenetwork.com/component/option,com_kunena/Itemid,183/catid,4/func,view/id,117437/, it lists the anime that has all episodes for free, by Subtitled and Dub.[/quote]

I looked at the shows page, but these are for premium members though right? I just want another option besides Netflix to watch anime on, Netflix only gets Funimation anime and rarely updates anymore. now Slow those shows from the link you posted above, are the dubs also on Hulu or on AN only? thanks in advance. oh and BTW, maybe a suggestion for adding in the future, ever heard of an anime called Medoka Magica?

Puella Magi Madoka Magica is an Aniplex of America (http://www.aniplexusa.com/) license, so the chance of it ever showing up here is rather slim.

I see Toradora will be released this summer dubbed. Will AN be getting rights to stream this from NISA? I still do not fully understand how the rights aquiring work, but I like Toradora so was curious.

Also, I had seen somewhere (was a while back though) that Mayo Chiki might be getting a dub. Has this been confirmed as well? If so, will AN keep it’s rights for it and stream the dub version as well?

Not very likely.
It’s super rare that TAN picks up anything from other US licensees.
The general rule of thumb is: if it doesn’t come from Sentai or Maiden Japan it generally won’t be streaming here.
Meaning, if another US licensee holds the R1 rights, the chance of being here is rather slim.

Mayo Chiki! is indeed getting a dub ( https://www.theanimenetwork.com/component/option,com_kunena/Itemid,183/catid,4/func,view/id,158355/ ) and expected out around August 2014.

Seeing as how it’s coming from Sentai, the chance is rather high that the dub will be streaming here some time before the release of it.

No. The Blog / Important Notice for Anime Network Online Users - Anime Network page lists all, including the free ones.

For the shows on the https://www.theanimenetwork.com/component/option,com_kunena/Itemid,183/catid,4/func,view/id,117437/ list,

• Those in the section Subtitled - Complete Anime have the dubs (if any) on TAN only; subtitles on both TAN and on Hulu.

• Those in the section Dubbed - Complete Anime have the dubs on both TAN and on Hulu.

• In either case, viewers without subscriptions will be able to watch episodes on TAN’s Online Player, although they will be connected to Hulu’s servers, which shows commercials. (Premium subscribers get a commercial-free experience.)

-Joe

thanks Joe really appreciate it, I was just so confused on which shows were dubbed on Hulu and all.

[quote=“SpaceCobraJoe” post=163943]

No. The http://www.theanimenetwork.com/Watch-Online/AZIndex page lists all, including the free ones.

For the shows on the https://www.theanimenetwork.com/component/option,com_kunena/Itemid,183/catid,4/func,view/id,117437/ list,

• Those in the section Subtitled - Complete Anime have the dubs (if any) on TAN only; subtitles on both TAN and on Hulu.

• Those in the section Dubbed - Complete Anime have the dubs on both TAN and on Hulu.

• In either case, viewers without subscriptions will be able to watch episodes on TAN’s Online Player, although they will be connected to Hulu’s servers, which shows commercials. (Premium subscribers get a commercial-free experience.)

-Joe[/quote]

first off sorry for the double post, 2nd off Joe you said TAN’s online player is connected to Hulu Plus’ servers right? well I have a subscription to Hulu Plus and was wondering how you get the thing to play the dubbed versions of the anime? the reason I ask is I tried to watch an episode of High School of The Dead the other day and it came up subbed and I KNOW it was on On Demand at one time dubbed. also checked the list and it says it has an English dub, so how do I fix this? thanks so much in advance

You can always edit your own post. Look for the purple button in the lower right corner of the posting.

For shows from The Anime Network, the only thing that matters is whether or not you have a premium subscription from TAN. The dubbed episodes you are interested in are not uploaded to Hulu.

For some shows, like Highschool of the Dead, the dubbed video files were available via VOD for a short time.
But to watch them now, you’ll need to either purchase them on DVD/Blu-ray or purchase a TAN subscription.

-Joe

Hey Animefan34,

It is just like Joe has said. Hulu does not have the rights to stream the dubbed version of many series. Hulu only has the rights to stream what is available for free here at TAN. Anything else, including the dubbed version of High School of the Dead, requires an Anime Network Online premium subscription to stream it here and here at TAN only.

Having a Hulu Plus subscription does not carry over here unfortunately. The Hulu servers only handle the free content offered here and nothing more. If a series here at TAN has a dubbed version that requires an ANO premium subscription, that version no longer uses the Hulu servers and switches over to the TAN player instead.

Feel free to ask any questions that you still may have. I do agree with you that Hulu should mark what version of the show you are watching though beforehand. It seems like Hulu only marks anime series as ‘Episodes’ unless there is actually more than one version available to them. After that then it seems that Hulu will mark the episode header as subbed and/or dubbed.
:slight_smile:

I have a suggestion (or better yet a question) for something new for VoD do you guys have all the Gintama episodes? or just up to episode 50 and Gintama the movie?