Attack on Titan / Shingeki no Kyojin

Considering all the 80’s remakes in recent years, I’m surprised Jem hasn’t been touched. Hasbro has gen renewed the trademark but has yet to do anything with it.

I’d rather we jump “ahead” to the 90s and at least finish releasing The Real Adventures of Jonny Quest, if not giving it a HD version with redone CG (Even the staff who worked on the show originally admit that the CG is an embarrassment lol).

As have I (even 1st & 2nd tier networks eschew BD for some of their shows, to my chagrin), but with the Japanese I really don’t expect this to be happening, and I certainly don’t expect to see SD content for a modern, HD anime series. Especially with anime. That the Japanese anime otaku even accept modern SD content, particularly downgrades of their HD shows, is saddening; they also aren’t living up to their stereotypes when they do so :laugh: .

I know what you mean. I got their Serial Experiments Lain as soon as RightStuf sent it to me and, due to the controversy over these very issues with it, my copy is still cocooned in its shrink wrap. I’d been avoiding Funi dubs for a while, only dipping my toe back in recently with Geminar (which IMO they nailed), but I’m sharing your concerns on dub quality after their recent trailers. I’m nervous about watching Haganai’s dub when it releases tomorrow…

Episode 8 –

spoiler

Armin comes up with a plan. He wants to use the killer Titan. If they can figure out how to lead it to Headquarters, it might defeat the Titans that are there and then they can get to their supplies. Connie protests, but Mikasa thinks it’s worth a try.

Meanwhile, Jean is still leading the others towards Headquarters. Once again, there are losses, but some make it into the building. Many others have taken refuge there as well and Jean thinks their situation is hopeless as the Titans begin to break through the wall. Jean watches in shock as a Titan suddenly attacks the ones trying to get in. I guess Armin’s plan was successful!

The killer Titan takes care of business as Mikasa and Connie arrive with Armin in tow. Jean is surprised to see them alive and Connie explains about the Aberrant Titan as he congratulates Armin on his successful plan. Jean is surprised to hear about a Titan that isn’t interested in eating humans – Aberrant or not. The plan now is to use this Titan in order to escape. Jean can’t believe this, but Mikasa assures him that it will happen. They need to keep fighting and if they can use this Titan to do so, then so be it.

Everyone is curious about the killer Titan fighting others of his kind outside, but their priority is to resupply and escape. Armin comes up with another plan to get to the supply room downstairs. I think he’s finally found his place – he makes an excellent tactician! The smaller class Titans are wandering around the supply room as the plan is put into action. Success! And with no loss of life. Now the resupply can begin.

They are finally ready to leave and Armin finds Mikasa on the roof watching the killer Titan. They are both surprised to make another discovery. The killer Titan is surrounded by others and they are eating him! So these Titans also practice cannibalism. Another interesting fact is that the Aberrant isn’t regenerating. Mikasa had hoped that knowledge of the way this Titan is could have helped them in their fight, but that won’t be possible now. However, some of the others join her and agree that understanding this Aberrant may help them. They decide to return a favor and help this Titan by killing those eating it alive. With help, it may actually survive.

But before they can do anything, the Aberrant that had eaten Thomas arrives on the scene. The killer Titan seems to recognize him and he breaks free of the group eating him in order to attack this other Titan. Armless, and yelling in rage, the killer Titan bites the Aberrant in the neck. Afterwards, it seems he might regenerate, but instead falls to the ground, exhausted. The others watch in fascination to see a spot at the top of its back open up and someone emerges from this opening. It’s Eren!!! I am covered in shock and disbelief – just as the others must be!

Mikasa jumps down from the roof as the others protest her going. She hits the ground running, leaps up on the fallen Titan and takes Eren in her arms. She cries her heart out as she holds the unconscious Eren tightly to her. She is soon joined by the others and they take Eren back to Headquarters. But Mikasa still hasn’t released him. Armin can’t believe this – not only is Eren alive after being swallowed by a Titan, but he’s regained his severed limbs! He takes Eren’s hand and begins to cry as well. Everyone has questions and so do I. I wasn’t sure if Eren was really dead or not, but I wasn’t expecting this!

Plot Prediction Powers, Activate!

spoiler

Ok here are a few theories:

1. Eren is now a Nascent Titan, follows the “Become the very thing you hate” meme. They all are wondering how Titans reproduce, and it also kind of synchronizes with Eren’s foreboding dream he had about his Dad, basically his Dad is innoculating him so he won’t become a Titan. It would explain his arm and leg regeneration as well.

2.The only other way that Eren could have survived the way he did was because he was exposed to the Colossal Titan’s gasses when he sliced it open. So when the other one swallowed him , it triggered some sort of reaction that caused Eren to be able to take over the Titan. When you think about it, that’s the only thing that’s different between him and everyone else that’s been eaten by Titan’s.

• Oh and anyone else get the Mythological significance of Eren’s return?

Wow. I didn’t realize that y’all had put this stuff in spoiler tags as the email system sent it all to me. That said, going by the unintentional spoilers I’m getting that this show has suddenly taken a turn for the worse. Has it?

Or am I just being paranoid because I’ve yet to find an anime that uses a time-skip in its narrative structure to not suck?

The time skip isn’t really all that noticeable, it’s used in let’s shorten the time between the First attack and Mikasa , Eren and Armin deciding to join the military. Then it’s used to show the highlights of their training. Then we get back into the story. Here it’s used effectively in my opinion.

Attack on Titan Episode 14 to Be a Recap

posted on 2013-06-08 13:15 EDT

Sheesh, more problems?! Maybe Gen Fukunaga can get his investment group to buy a controlling interest in this capital-starved startup so that they have the resources to do this show right?

Although perhaps the problem isn’t money but talent: I wouldn’t be surprised if animators who can draw at Titan’s level are in short supply after the industry spent about a decade of anime being little more than generic moeblobs. Until Titan I was starting to believe that madhouse had a monopoly on non-blob art :wink:

Recap episodes are a crime. We all know it.

In case anyone’s wondering, The German at the beginning of the Opening Theme song translates to “Are they eating?, No! We are the Jaeger!”

Ep 9

spoiler

Seeing Eren’s transformation at the end, makes me wonder who the Colossal Titan is. The Transformation is similar

read the manga

I just did today, was nice to see my instincts were right.

Well I finally got far enough into this show to see the really glaring animation shortcuts that I was warned about, where Titans and backgrounds go from crisp & detailed to blurry and vague during the same episode, and where lacking CG is used to try and cover some lapses.

The horrible, unnecessary CG of the bell ringing in ep 5 did not need to be there. I can accept, begrudgingly, the CG of the wall used during the Titan fight therein but that bell shot was superfluous and poorly done to boot: if they’re going to use filler shots, at least make them look good.

But the real issue is that everyone who said that the animation/art waxes and wanes during this show was spot-on. It still has the best art IMO of any show I’ve seen this season, and it is still the best show I’ve seen this season, but I was really hoping that the visual lapses were exaggerated (like rumors of a certain someone’s demise lol) but they weren’t.

In fairness, the CG of that bell was vastly superior to the very poor CG used for Chamber in Gargantia.

Is Crunchyroll still not streaming in HD to all Android devices? I haven’t been watching much on there, but when I try to-with my paid account-watch on my Android phone through their app, the show looks sub-HD. Far worse than when I watch it through the Funimation Android app.

The subs between Crunchy and Funi seem different. I find that interesting.

It’s not uncommon for Crunchy to have different subs. They usually use different translators and end up with slightly different scripts. The Sentai shows are usually the exception, as they are licensed from Sentai and usually use the same translations. Since the subtitle tracks are different, CR must be Iicensing this one directly from Japan. Apparently, Funimation didn’t get exclusive streaming rights.

I rarely watch a show subbed, let alone from 2 different sub providers, so this is a novel experience. I can’t say that I really enjoy it for, even though the translation differences are slight, they change how I perceive the characters.

This dual streaming works out: Funimation can’t stream to the PC (its website is to problems as Mr. Burns is to diseases) and Crunchy can’t stream to Android so, taken together, all my bases are covered lol.

Did Crunchy never sub the theme song? Funimation did, although they didn’t translate (that I saw) the German into English; they just left it as German.

I just went through 2 intros on Crunchy and neither was subbed so I’m wondering.

EDIT: Sigh. Crunchy is being lag-tastic and unable to stream real-time HD video AGAIN. I’d almost be willing to pay a bit more so that they can get “teh bandwidths” that they’re lacking, because having my epic Titan fight scene turn into a slide show during its best moments is brutal. Too brutal.

Episode 9 –

spoiler

It was nice to see more characters from the Survey Corps. It was also interesting to see Eren’s view of the things that happened to him. Perhaps it was his rage that saved him and turned him into something that could kill Titans. But it makes me wonder if this has happened to others as well.

Eren comes to and he’s with Armin and Mikasa, but the situation is not good. They are surrounded by their own soldiers and the soldiers are treating them as the enemy! They are being accused of treason. Eren is confused. They are asking him if he’s a Titan and looking at him like he’s a monster. They are all so afraid of him. Apparently, there were too many witnesses that saw him emerge from the Titan’s back.

I can understand their fear, but what do they think this little kid is going to do? Even if he turned back into a Titan, I’m sure that he would just keep killing other Titans and not bring harm to the humans. On top of that, Eren can’t even remember what happened to him and has no idea what’s going on. He begins to question his own humanity. However, he screams out that he’s human, but the Captain doesn’t believe him and it’s the same idiot from the training camp.

There is no proof that Eren is human, so the Captain is about to order their deaths. Mikasa grabs him to take him up the wall and Eren remembers something that his father had said. He gave Eren a key and a promise to show him what was in the basement. Eren still has the key, but never got to see the basement before disaster struck. Oh, hell! Was it his father that made him a Titan? He had impaired Eren’s memory, but told him that the truth is in the basement and that he must get there someday. He tells Eren that to save everyone, he must master the “power”.

As the canon fires upon them, Eren bites his thumb hard enough to draw blood. When the smoke clears, all can see a skeletal torso and within the rib cage are Armin and Mikasa! Does this mean that Eren can transform at will? I just don’t know what to think!

Only ep 9? You’re falling behind :lol:

Do you write these as you watch the show?

…I feel as though there was another show where someone had to activate his power in the same way that Erin activates his Robert Louis Stevenson ability. Is it Darker than Black? I dunno, it just seems really familiar.

Erin is kinda like Naruto + Kira (Light Yagami) at this point. More the former than the latter but still B)

Saw this on the crunchyroll blog and had to post it here:

Sasha and Food: