Avatar: The Last Airbender / The Legend of Korra

…which is exactly what they don’t tell us in the first book of Korra.

Which brings me back to what we’ve both said: if Amon takes away bending in a manner like this, then shouldn’t any healer be able to undo it? Certainly Katara could defeat a blod clot, she was practicing resurrecting animals in the first series. If she can bring the dead to life, then there’s no reason she couldn’t break up a blood clot. Yet Katara couldn’t do jack to restore benidng taken by Amon.

Ending the first series without even attempting to explain Amon’s power was ridiculous, as was Amon as a character. A villain who was “evil for evil’s sake”; unlike his second-in-command/chief supporter, he didn’t have any respectable or logical motivation. He had a kick-ass power, sure, but in the end he was just a punk with some sort of (again, unexplained) god-complex. That, of course, was a total let-down IMO.

Speaking of Amon’s power, I found it interesting that in the flashback to his father they had testimony in the court room that his father could bloodbend at will, and only did not do so when it was a full moon, yet his kids do not have that restriction, and he was able to show his kids how to bloodbend both with and without a full moon. That raises some serious, though not too consequential, questions. It’s also sketchy that no one else knew about his power, and few believed it could exist (namely Sokka), when it seems obvious that there are other people with that power, in even greater versions. Amon didn’t learn his bending removal from his father, so unless another lion turtle decided to be a jerk and gave him the power (or he figured it out himself) the only explanation seems to be that Amon learned his bending removal from someone else. Could that mysterious mentor really not be known to the bending world? I know that [spoiler]water-benders[/spoilers] have always had their head buried in the sand, pretending that their “dark arts” don’t exist, but still…

I guess a lack of logical explanations runs in the family as they didn’t have any explanation as to why Amon’s brother went from being a peaceable guy who hated violence and manipulating people to a power-hungry, crazed, manipulative nutcase. He went from not even wanting to bloodbend animals to bloodbending anyone who opposed him.

IMO it was good, but it could have been so much better.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2012/08/21/paramount-opens-the-door-for-a-legend-of-korra-animated-movie

[size=15]Paramount Opens the Door for a “Legend of Korra” Animated Movie[/size]
Paramount Pictures looks to Nickelodeon to stock up animation schedule

Entertainment industry trade magazine Variety recently profiled Paramount Pictures’ efforts to ramp up their animation division. In addition to new projects from producers Mary Parent and J.J. Abrams, the studio is looking to fill up their pipeline with IPs from sister division Nickelodeon. While Paramount didn’t name names, Variety identifies the list as potentially including Dora the Explorer, Monkey Quest, and… wait for it… The Legend of Korra.

Though Paramount’s animation slate is currently a bit empty, with 2014’s The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie 2 dominating the focus, new attention is being paid to filling in features for summer 2013 and beyond.

Viacom president-CEO Philippe Dauman has backed the effort to produce more animated features, with the guide of keeping budgets around $100 million or less, along the lines of Illumination Entertainment’s Despicable Me ($69 million), and the fourth Ice Age ($90 million). Headcount will be 30-40 people. Paramount Pictures considers their previous big budget effort, Rango, to be only a modest success since it took in $245 million worldwide on a hefty 135 million budget.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2013/07/19/video-legend-of-korra-book-2-spirit-trailer

[size=15]“Legend of Korra - Book 2: Spirit” Trailer[/size]
Series returns this September

Later even than some of the voice actor were expecting, The Legend of Korra - Book 2: Spirits is now slated to kick off on Nickelodeon·this September. Beyond a new trailer for San Diego Comic Con, it was also announced that The Walking Dead’s Steven Yeun joins the cast as Wan, the first Avatar, who story from 10,000 years in the past features into two episodes.

James Remar (Dexter) joins as Korra’s father, Tonraq. Aubrey Plaza (Parks and Recreation) and Aaron Himelstein (Joan of Arcadia) play a pair of waterbending twins, while Lisa Edelstein (House) is Kya, Aang and Katara’s daughter.[/quote]

I wish they’d stop doing “celebrity” casting, where the celebrities are TV live-action actors and not veteran voice actors as too often it produces a sub-par dub. I will admit that Bud Bundy did a better job than I expected.

Besides, when they get established voice actors it improves the show: Amon was infinitely better than he should have been because he sounded like GTO (and ever other Steve Blum role as he’s a man of one voice lol). I guess a recast of actress for Korra would be too much to ask?

I hope that they made this season have a better ending, villain and have gotten rid of the bad Kim Possible elements. I believe that is what is known as a “pipe dream” though…

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2014/06/11/video-the-legend-of-korra-book-3-official-trailer

[size=15]“The Legend of Korra: Book 3” Official Trailer[/size]

Nickelodeon offers an early look at what they’re promising is "an epic new season filled with new characters, adventures and more!"

You’ve seen the fan trailer for The Legend of Korra - Book Three: Change. Now seen the genuine article as Nickelodeon offers an early look at what they’re promising is “an epic new season filled with new characters, adventures and more!”

Despite his tragic past, Aang was pretty cheerful, mellow and wise beyond his years. Korra, as a show, doesn’t really have a character like that. IMO the “half-cocked emotional rollercoaster” characters only work with a more stoic foil and there’s a lack of stoicism in Korra. Hopefully this season will give us an Uncle Iroh-esque character (and cut out the love triangle nonsense).

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2014/06/21/legend-of-korra-book-three-premiere-date-announced

[size=15]“Legend of Korra” Book Three Premiere Date Announced[/size]
Only one week to new season’s debut

Wow. That escalated quickly. A couple of weeks ago, it was radio silence on the next Avatar. Then came the leaks. Then came the official trailer. Now, IGN reports Legend of Korra: Book Three - Change will debut Friday, June 27th at 7pm on Nickelodeon.

The first two episodes of Book Three air from 7pm-8pm ET/PT, followed by a special bonus presentation of the third episode of Book Three, “The Earth Queen", at 8pm. There will then be a break for the Fourth of July holiday, before new episodes resume in the show’s regular timeslot, Fridays at 8pm, beginning July 11th.

Bad news everyone. According to Nam, The Legend of Korra Book 3 Changes premiered to horrible ratings. The 7:00 P.M hour got 1.504 million total viewers while the 8:00 P.M half-hour earned 1.298 total viewers.

Reason? Nickelodeon didn’t announce the date until a week before the premiere. This is their problem.

The bright side is that now people should be aware the show has resumed play and maybe those ratings can be recovered as we progress. Fridays at 8.

You are so right. They didn’t advertise this very well.

hell i never saw the final episodes of the Sozen’s Comet until long after when it re-aired. i still ahven’t found the final episode of korra not even on VOD.

they don’t advertise anything after it being off for so long then returns unannounced. why would anyone look?

this is the same thing that happened to Stargate, and then it returned as some garbage called “Universe”. I don’t know if there is new Myhtbusters since 2012 either.

had a free preview of Showtime this past weekend, and found out about it at 10pm on Sunday. nothing was on that two horu block so ignored it. these people need to learn that app-world doesn’t exist for many that still watch TV and the apps are only good for people watching things on those apps and need advertise their programs on the TV like they always have. you watch a channel for longer than 4 hours on TWC and the screen goes black. for some reason they think you should be changing your channel more often, so why would anyone watch a channel forever to try to find a new season. i had no idea until now there was going to be a new season of korra.

:angry:

It’s an outright embarassment considering Disney Channel’s Zapped and Girl Meets World scored over 5 million each for their premieres. Even CN premieres do way better than that (Korra). Needless to say Nick belongs in the doghouse for this.

[quote=“Snowy Stampede” post=171504]Bad news everyone. According to Nam, The Legend of Korra Book 3 Changes premiered to horrible ratings. The 7:00 P.M hour got 1.504 million total viewers while the 8:00 P.M half-hour earned 1.298 total viewers.

Reason? Nickelodeon didn’t announce the date until a week before the premiere. This is their problem.

The bright side is that now people should be aware the show has resumed play and maybe those ratings can be recovered as we progress. Fridays at 8.[/quote]

Is that the only reason? It wouldn’t surprise me if a factor were also people losing interest after the extremely lackluster Book Two. Korra certainly doesn’t have the magic of the original, that’s for sure.

BTW are these the ratings that don’t take into account time-shifted viewing?

…I don’t want to believe that “Girl Meets World” actually happened. A new level of sad for Disney.

After watching Book 2 in its entirety, I agree the Spirits season wasn’t good but I think if I were to give an opinion on this matter now, I think the number who might have lost interest could be limited. I haven’t given up yet. Enough time has past to where that sour taste should be long gone by now. I see what you’re saying. That could factor into this but we have to see how the show holds up throughout Book 3. If ratings don’t improve, there could be significant truth to people losing interest assuming of course Nick begins promoting Korra like their lives depended on it. We’ll see. TVBytheNumbers should have Korra ratings I hope.

The is still the thing where nobody knows what is going on. 1st only 14 episodes, then a second season out of nowhere, now a 3rd unannounced… who can keep up interest when nobody knows what is going on while it is drug out over 4 years? the kids that started watching Avatar: LIB probably moved on to things like Pretty Little Liars or something by now too.

ALL TV channels need to learn to advertise if they want people to see the shows, because they cut season to 4~6 episodes, move the times and nights, and onyl air once a year… nobody can keep trck of this. others (TAN) advertise things that will never even come on as “this month” (always for FVOD the ad is wrong and a lie.)

any way to watch the final episodes of the whole convergence bit before Friday?

[size=15]The Legend of Korra: Animated Series Not Cancelled But…[/size]
Published: July 24, 2014

Tomorrow’s episode of ‘Legend of Korra’ is the eighth installment of ‘Book Three’ and will supposedly be the last one to air on Nickelodeon. However, the show isn’t being cancelled. The remaining five episodes will roll out on Nick.com, Hulu, and other sites starting August 1st.

What’s more, according to co-creator Michael Dante DiMartinto, there will be a ‘Book Four’ as well. On Facebook, he wrote, “I appreciate all the support for the show and share your frustration. But the good news is, you will be able to see the rest of Book 3 of Korra… And there is most definitely a Book 4. All the pre-production is done and Studio Mir is hard at work on the animation. So this was a disappointing development for sure but as long as you all are able to see the show in some capacity, I’m grateful.”

Additional details are expected to be announced at Comic-Con in San Diego tomorrow.

TV Series Finale

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2014/07/24/legend-of-korra-moving-to-digital

[size=15]“Legend of Korra” Moving to Digital[/size]
More details are expected from San Diego Comic Con panel

It looks like Legend of Korra might not be long for the broadcast TV airwaves. While a full explanation is expected from the animated series’ San Diego Comic Con panel on Friday, what’s shaping up is that this week’s eighth episode of Book Three: Change will still air Friday at 8:00pm, then the rest of the season will be presented streaming online.

Following fan talk that the series was leaving Nickelodeon’s schedule, co-creators Bryan Konietzko and Michael Dante DiMartino have posted on their Tumblr and Facebook.

The latest iteration of the cult series has been struggling with ratings this season, which ranged from as high as 1.5 million on the first episode to as low as 1.1 million on the fourth and fifth episodes.

Nobody knew it was coming, so what do you expect? I didn’t even see the end of the convergence because it didn’t air in my area at the time my reminder was set for.

Who would want to watch episode 2 without seeing episode 1 of the new one? Who knew it was coming? Why isn’t it On-Demand?

Nick is just pewing the scrooch on this one. They are already lucky people came back for Korra after that M Night idiot bastardized fire-bending in his crappy movie.

It isn’t just Nick, but EVERY station that takes too many breaks for too long between series in NA, and then they change the time or day, so nobody would know where to look and move on to something else.

IF these people would stop trying to abandon the TV with air-times and schedules for digital to just jump on the digital bandwagon, then they would have competent people making a schedule, advertising the on-air programming in advance so people know to expect it, and have things done in a timely fashion with enough shows in a season.

Remember when a season was 13 episode, and you got 2 a year with a rerun after each season? that makes for 52 weeks. Just happens to be the same number in a year. Now they have short seasons of 6~10 episodes, try to create so many new shows that shift attention, then complain when nobody wants to keep trying to guess if/when a show will be back, like Korra.

Guess they are learning that the twitter, facebok, and app users that they are doing all the advertising on are NOT the ones watching TV because they are doing all those things on their “mobile devices” and computer, and you need to advertise your TV program on TV, for TV viewers to know at it!

Has the whole world just gone stupid and unable to do anything with any common sense anymore because they have neglected what works and why it works for so long trying to change for the sake of change? Is the answer too simple for these people that they think it is impossible to be that simple? OR, is it neither, and they are just too damn lazy to think about what they are doing?

:angry:

At least Korra will have the opportunity to finish somewhere instead of being taken out back and shot unlike my Friday nights now. Maybe Netflix will show interest in it one day.

I’d prefer that crunchyroll pick it up TBH. Netflix has content retention and delivery issues that crunchy does not. I also wouldn’t want to get back on Netflix, especially since Netflix is throttling/being throttled by Verizon (just a bit ago it was Comcast and who knows which ISP will be next).

The only advantage that Netflix could offer me is HD on Android.

Supposedly there will be a book 4 and it will be online only too. Online only is only getting the die hard older fans of the original series. I also don’t see why this isn’t run at normal kids cartoon times.

I agree that us TV puts its programs on hiatus and reschedules them too often and with too little notice. Nickelodeon, being a network channel unaffected by political and sports coverage “needs”, is supposed to be immune to that.

Didn’t M. night screw up a lot more than fire bending in that movie (which I paid to see in theaters)? Personally I thought fire bending was always shafted as people got hit by giant balls of fire and were almost always fine. Earth benders could blast people with rocks, water benders could crush them with jets of water-even air benders could literally blow people away-but fire couldn’t do much of anything besides look flashy.

Saw an commercial over the weekend that Season 3 will air on Nick for 3 weeks in September. :huh: