Brain Drain

Does anyone ever just think about language? Isn’t it weird? Are there any other species of animal that can’t understand one another because they are from different places? Do you think a polar bear would understand a black bear? Those are technically different species though, aren’t they? And in my anthropology class I learned that humans are the only ones who have language as such but other animals have ways of communicating obviously.

How about squirrels? Squirrels live almost everywhere. Do you suppose a French squirrel would be able to talk to an American squirrel? Do squirrels live in France? I don’t see why they wouldn’t. I’ve thought the word squirrel so many times it doesn’t sound like a real word anymore, why?

When you think about it, language is just a bunch of noises. And we can make the noises in so many different patterns and so quickly and we process the meaning as we are hearing it. Isn’t that amazing? Unless they are speaking a different language, then we don’t know. Even though all humans fall under the same species category.

Speaking of species, how can a husky and a chihuahua be the same species but there is thousands of different types of frogs for example. Why aren’t they breeds of frogs? Most frogs have more in common than some breeds of dogs. And how come humans are races and not breeds? Is it purely a political thing? I suppose it would be bad to refer to a human in the same way as a dog. But I think its kind of the same thing, maybe not.

Thoughts?

2 Likes

I’m one of those people who have memories that go almost all the way back to being born. I don’t remember that, but I do remember being in the incubator. I remember learning to pull up on things, learning to walk and to the point learning to talk. I was excited to learn the name of that blue stuff that was in the metal boxes in the various rooms of our house, it was called fire. They were what I learned later to be gas heaters. I remember learning what to call my parents, my grandmother’s names ( Different for each of the two. ) and my brother’s name ( Nickname actually, but he will always be Butch. ).

I would imagine that animals don’t have much trouble communicating within single species, but they don’t have a means of or need to relay information with the level of complexity that humans do. Which is why human language is so fractured, everyone has taken a different path to reach a given level of communication.

Mark Gosdin

2 Likes

Oh I did not just almost use a ladle to scoop out ice cream. I’m really losing it.

I saw a car on fire today, and it got me thinking, how do engines catch on fire and basically become a bonfire? I didn’t think there was enough flammable stuff in that area of the car to burn like that. Once it hits the passeneger area, sure, but the engine area, isn’t most of it metal?

1 Like

I thought a breed meant something that was bred, specifically created by the “hand of man” as opposed to occurring naturally? Perhaps at one time there was such a concept as “breeds” of people: there’s the old pejorative “half-breed” from older movies/tv and all of those old Spanish terms for racial composition.

Same way Danny DeVito and Shaq can be?

Maybe the fire gets the plastic and rubber components of the engine bay hot enough to burn, in addition to the oil and whatever gas is making its way to the fire? Rubber burns for a very long time.

Baking a cake today and I’m ashamed to admit that it took me almost 10 minutes to find my mixer. :sweat_smile:

If only hubby would just mention that he’s going to rearrange things, that would make my life so much easier.

2 Likes

It is frustrating when you can’t find things that should be in their proper place.

I wouldn’t think it would be so hard. Unless you live alone, guys need to learn a kitchen is a woman’s sacred place. You mess with it WITHOUT ASKING, it will not end well.

Not that these situations always wind up to be a big deal but I saw a similar situation happen (Construction AND moving stuff) and the finish job was so badly thought out and hated that you wondered if he even thought about his wife at all. The answer was no. Being pissed doesn’t even begin to describe the aftermath.

2 Likes

That’s the thing, @Snowy_Stampede - I’m not the cook, my hubby is. I only use the kitchen occasionally to bake the good stuff. The kitchen is really HIS domain.

######Still wish he’d tell me when he moves stuff however.

3 Likes

Oh I see. I guess that does flip the situation but you’re right, a little heads up is appropriate.

Time is baked goods. :smile:

2 Likes

We have 4 people sharing family cooking duties, only my youngest ( Who does cook for himself. ) doesn’t cook as part of the group. So nothing gets moved without a good bit of advance warning.

Mark Gosdin

2 Likes

This page explains how my work days are sometimes.

Somehow I got the role of “Family IT” in our IT office over the years.

1 Like

Two days a week me and a couple of others teach a science class for third graders at the elementary school. One day we were doing a lesson on mammals and we were talking about different mammals in different places and how, for instance, a zebra would live in a warm climate and not a cold one.

When I said the word zebra one of the students, a hyper little girl named Celeste, jumped out of her seat and loudly exclaimed “Zebra’s don’t exist!”. I calmly explained, that yes zebras do exist. But she would not have it. She said her mother told her that zebras were just white horses that someone painted black stripes on for conspiracy. And she actually used the word “conspiracy” which is pretty big word for a third grader.

That was weeks ago and no matter how many pictures or videos I show her of zebras she refuses to believe me. She thinks I’m blinded by the great “zebra conspiracy” And I honestly don’t know what to think about this. Shes starting to make me doubt myself.

I need some validation! Tell me that zebras aren’t just painted horses!

1 Like

Yes, Virginia, zebras do exist. No conspiracy here!

This is a paint horse (breed) -

And this is an actual painted horse -

No zebras here! That little girl is very misinformed, but you aren’t. Just keep telling her. She’ll be very embarrassed someday. LOL She sounds adorable too. Good luck!

1 Like

http://m.memegen.com/ncbzsj.jpg

4 Likes

I just love it when I’m in the middle of working and my computer decides to sign me out. No warnings, bells, or whistles, just logs me right out.

2 Likes

It gives you that weird feeling like your computer puts a Kick Me Out sign on your back.

Much hard work died in the process.

1 Like

Oh usually there’s a reason for it kicking you off and shutting down / rebooting. Problem is that the programmers that created the OS are not good at explaining anything. They all graduated from the “Clear only if already understood” school of documentation writing.

Mark Gosdin

3 Likes

I have been vindicated!

I don’t think my hubby really believed this was happening to me.

Today, he was doing a backup and, yep, it kicked him right out. He wasn’t even touching the machine when it happened, he was just looking to see how far along the back-up was.

ANYWAY, he did some investigating and think he knows what the problem is (hasn’t shared it with me however).

3 Likes

It’s always better when it happens to someone else. :grin:

I hope things work out.

2 Likes

2 Likes