Computers & Technology

Wow Intel, just wow.

This will leave only the Core i7 950, 965 and 975 variants. This means the entry-level price for the i7 will now be $650 for an i7 950.

So this is basically a ploy by Intel to get people to adapt to the i5 platform and socket 1156 easier. Hey, maybe having TWO sockets at once will work out well for them. I mean, remember AMD’s sockets 754 and 939? That worked out so well …oh wait.

Well, I think they are shooting themselves in the foot with this whole thing. It effectively kills the upgrade path. Also the only mobo chipset available for i5 is the P55. As expected, P55 mobos PCIe x16 slots will run crossfire (yeah, no SLI on P55 boards) at 8x/8x, completely gimping the performance of many recent graphics cards.

I hate sitting in front of a computer 8 hours a day, especially crappy CRT monitors. I have a feeling they’re the reason why my eyes hurt nowadays, and especially for the fact that I’m spending less and less time on my own computer. So despite the fact that I’m on a computer all day, I actually am spending less time on things that I actually want to do. aff-kcm

Anyone else notice the new Apple promotion? Buy a Mac for college and get a free iTouch (via a rebate). Not a bad dea. I know earlier I said that the new Aluminum MacBook was stupidly expensive, but if you subtract the cost of the iTouch from the Macbook it comes out to around $1000, much more reasonable. Well, that is with the education store discount anyway.

They’ve done this for years now, I can’t forget what model of ipod though, I think they’ve been using the nano for awhile though.

Google Chrome has finally become a viable option for me, since I can now click down on the scroll wheel and move my mouse around to hover. Which is something I’m nearly dependent on. Now the only other thing that I really need is to find a similar foxy tunes type of option. I having to bring foobar up to pause my music.

I haven’t used that hovering thing for years… xD

Personally, I’m waiting for Firefox 3.5, which is said to be twice as fast as 3.0.

Well this is just incredible. the 4890 will drop from $250 to $200, the 4870 from $200 to $150 and the 4850 from $150 to $100. Never before have we been able to get this much graphics processing power so cheap. =O

First off, I have to say, it’s great AMD put the squeeze on Nvidia this time around forcing price drops all around. If Nvidia still had their way, we’d still have to pay $300+ for cards similar to the 4870 1GB. Heck, more likely $400+.

Just over a year ago I paid $175 for an Radeon 3870. That was on sale from $200. Geforce 9600GT was about $180. The 8800GT was around $220. The 8800GTS 512mb was $250+ and the 9800GTX was $300+. And compare this to the amazing price/performance ratio we get now!

This is just plain amazing, my card is now half the price then when I bought it (I was an early adopter of the 4850). Now my problem is just seeing if I can find a reference design of the 4850 so I can go crossfire. I remember checking newegg quite a few months ago, and seeing that they only had two manufacturers still making reference designed 4850s. If I could use a non-reference one, that’d be nice, then that’s one aftermarket HSF I wouldn’t have to invest in… this card is still LOUD!

sweetkeith wrote:

As far as I know, you don’t need to have two identical cards for crossfire. You should be able to use your reference along with a non-reference.

Okay, so we all knew Asus was making the dual GTX 285 monster of a video card known as the Republic of Gamers (ROG) MARS edition. I knew it would be expensive, since it’s boasting two GTX 285 GPUs in a single card. So it sure must be expensive, I thought. I figured, $600 or $650, sounds about right. $700, tops. No, no, no; how wrong I was. This monster of a video card will be priced at a whopping http://www.techpowerup.com/97054/ASUS_Prepares_Custom_R.O.G._Mars_285_Monster_Video_Card.html Nope, that’s not a typo, it’s $1700. So my response to this?
WHAT. THE. F**K.

Recently, Apple revamped their MacBook line. The Aluminum MacBook is gone. It has been replaced by a new 13 inch MacBook Pro. The MacBook Pro features a better processor, an SD card slot, a firewire 800 port (something many Mac fans were angry at losing on the MacBook), and a standard illuminated keyboard for $100 less than the Aluminum MacBook.

And I am a proud owner of one :slight_smile: A 13" MacBook Pro 2.26GHz with 2GB DDR3 RAM and a 160GB HD. My dad bought it for me for college as a graduation gift (way better than a car and cheaper too). I’m also getting a free iPod Touch (engraved with my name and senior quote) for free. Yay.

So far the only gripe I have about it is the glare. It is pretty reflective in sunlight. Nothing an anti-glare cover-thingie can’t fix, or at least reduce. Otherwise it is fast, quiet, and looks good. The huge multi-touch trackpad is awesome. And the illuminated keyboard is great, especially for someone like me who has to look down at the keyboard often. I did poorly in typing class in middle school :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyway I end my self-indulgence now. I just want to tell people because I’m so excited.

Enjoy your bastardised linux box! :wink:

Oh man, Newegg is having a sale on a 20in LG monitor for 139.99. I’m thinking about jumping on that, since I haven’t been able to find a worthy enough monitor to match my current monitor for a dual setup…

The only perceivable problem I can find is that the recommended resolution is 1600x900 which doesn’t match my current monitor’s resolution of 1680x1050, and my OCD says that they must match.

Oh wait, it’s a 16:9 instead of 16:10 ratio. I missed that earlier, how come I can’t find good 16:10 20in monitor anymore, at least one with a good 2ms gtg…

Buy two and ebay the old one. :laugh:

sweetkeith wrote:

[quote]Oh man, Newegg is having a sale on a 20in LG monitor for 139.99. I’m thinking about jumping on that, since I haven’t been able to find a worthy enough monitor to match my current monitor for a dual setup…

The only perceivable problem I can find is that the recommended resolution is 1600x900 which doesn’t match my current monitor’s resolution of 1680x1050, and my OCD says that they must match.

Oh wait, it’s a 16:9 instead of 16:10 ratio. I missed that earlier, how come I can’t find good 16:10 20in monitor anymore, at least one with a good 2ms gtg…[/quote]

How about http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009143? There’s nothing wrong with a 5ms response time, and no human in existence would notice the difference between 5ms and 2ms grey-to-grey. The reason you are having trouble finding a 1680x1050 is because most monitors that res are 22". xD

Not when I bought my 20in monitor, there were plenty of options back then.

sweetkeith wrote:

[quote]

Not when I bought my 20in monitor, there were plenty of options back then.[/quote]

So then… you’re saying you already have an LG 20" 1600x900? Otherwise I don’t see the problem with the one I linked to, it’s 20", 1600x900. :unsure:

I mean most of the specs of the monitor, mostly being same size and ratio, but I have an unreasonable obsession with this refresh time thing.

sweetkeith wrote:

2ms Grey to grey is not the same thing as a true 2ms response time. Grey to grey is the time it takes for pixel to change between two shades of grey. This is just something manufacturers use to make response times seem faster than they are. A true 5ms response time, however, means that it takes 5ms to go from black to white and then back to black. GTG can be useful, but sometimes 2ms GTG can be a slightly slower response time than 5ms black to black.

I wonder just when the DX11 GPUs are gonna be released…

I can’t wait to see what the HD 5870 (assumed name) will have to offer.