Computers & Technology

From this, Boeing learns to not allow third-world airlines with extremely poor training to perform maintenance and pilot their technically-advanced new planes?

It doesnā€™t matter how well trained the pilots are when the plane is programmed to do something radical with only a few seconds to override it and no one has bothered to inform them. No the error is entirely with Boeingā€™s engineering & management ā€¦ this time.

Mark Gosdin

What of the report from a whistleblower that Lion Air lied about the maintenance it performed on its own 737 MAX before it crashed?

Really sketchy is that the plane had malfunctioned after the ā€œmaintenanceā€ already, in the exact same manner that it would on the flight of the crash. In that first instance, the pilots were able to fight the computer and save the plane, but apparently Lion Air was too busy saving a few bucks (rupiah?) to fix the problem it failed to fix the first time.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-10-15/pictures-raise-specter-of-fake-evidence-in-737-max-crash-probe

Also, this reminds me of an old Discovery Channel video on the Airbus A320 where its newfangled computer system that prevented pilot error was put to the test by commercial jet pilot (and frontman of the band Iron Maiden) Bruce Dickinson. In it, he deliberately tries to stall the plane by spiking its nose up into the air without increasing the throttle and the plane is ā€œsmartā€ enough to increase the throttle to prevent the stall.

Seems rather the opposite of how Boeing designed their system.

Having the planeā€™s computer do something in response to stall conditions makes sense, Boeingā€™s mistake was in having a flawed stall detection process along with a poorly designed response. Nevermind that, yes, the airline may fail to maintain the plane properly. Only makes it worse.

Note : For many reasons Iā€™m getting tired of the term ā€œWhistleblowerā€, I think it is on itā€™s way to becoming a 4-Letter word.

Mark Gosdin

1 Like

I find it interesting that Airbusā€™ response to pitching the nose up too steeply seemingly wouldā€™ve prevented this; having the plane try and point its nose down just strikes me as a recipie for disaster.

According to that article, the plane had an issue, Lion Air ā€œfixedā€ it, and then problems persisted until they became fatal. That Lion Air didnā€™t ground the plane when it knew it had serious problems has me thinking that they should share in culpability?

I do agree that Boeingā€™s design seems deeply flawed, if thereā€™s a single sensor that is a lynchpin of the system that keeps the plane from plummeting to ground, it ought to be a sealed, ā€œgood for the life of the planeā€ deal. So it seems to me.\

ā€¦Did the stealth bomber programs lead aviation astray? As I recall, they were the ones that legitimized the paradigm of a plane that can only be flown by wire as their design is too inherently unstable for true human control.

1 Like

Oct. 27, 2019 06:00 am JST / Japan Today

Converse Directly With Megumin from KonoSuba on Your Phone with ā€˜Isekaiā€™ Smartphone App

October 28, 2019 5:01am CDT
Megumin can also use her magical explosions to wake you up!

Tachikoma Take the Wheel with Ghost in the Shell-Inspired GPS

October 28, 2019 8:06am CDT
Sakiko Tamagawa returns as the voice of the talkative tanks

1 Like

I feel like Microsoft and anything military related that needs to be secure should never mix .

Of course why the military and government just does not make their own proprietary systems Iā€™m not sure .

2 Likes

As anyone should know, anyone who could create such a proprietary unbreakable system more than likely isnā€™t working for the Government unless theyā€™re forced to

3 Likes

Did not think about it and anyone forced means they got caught so probably not be the best choice .

2 Likes

2019-10-30T05:00:00Z

1 Like

October 31, 2019 / SoraNews24

November 4, 2019 / SoraNews24

1 Like

Nov. 5, 2019 05:57 am JST / Japan Today

Hi. Here is a video talking about the Japan made NEC pc-98 PC. Iā€™m really into this machine, and until around the 2000s it was the dominant pc in Japan. There are some great games on this machine with its colorful graphics and great sound! I simply adore it.

https://youtu.be/xlOkCgGLvZc

Steins;Gateā€™s Amadeus Kurisu AI Makes Her Real World Debut

November 14, 2019 9:07am CST
NTT R&D Forum 2019 hosts the big reveal

1 Like

2019-11-19T21:01:00Z

Amazon sues Pentagon over loss in cloud deal

2019-11-23T10:39:00Z

Magic circle wireless charging pads from Japan make juicing up your devices a mystical ceremony

2019-12-04T15:00:00Z

2 Likes

December 20, 2019 / The Asahi Shimbun