Discotek Media News

IGPX: Remaster FAQ

FAQ

Hey everyone, I’ve been getting a lot of excited fans asking about the recent announcement that I’m working on IGPX. First, thanks for the kind words, they mean a lot, but there seems to be a lot of confusion about what exactly is going into this release. So to clear things up, I thought I’d try to answer some of the questions I constantly get here. (Note to would-be video nerds, don’t use the screenshots presented here as an indication of video quality, they’re for aspect ratio demonstration purposes only.)

1) Which versions of IGPX will be included on this set?

This set will include:
a) Original Japanese uncut version
b) English dub of the uncut version
c) Toonami version that aired on TV in the US, remastered to be properly displayed in 16:9

2) Wait, does that mean you’re cropping the Toonami version?

Not really. IGPX was produced in 16:9 HD from start to finish, however when it was brought over to the US, Cartoon Network did not have any choice but to air IGPX letterboxed for 4:3 screens. This led to the Toonami version always being presented with black bars on the top and bottom for all the episodes. For the DVD, we’re simply removing the bars and presenting it basically the way it was always meant to be presented. If Toonami really wanted to, they would have cropped the show to be 4:3 for American TV. Since then on home video the Toonami version’s been presented in 4:3, and it’s return on Toonami recently was stretched out 4:3. So think of this as presenting it as it was supposed to be presented, just never done that way before.

3) Weren’t there graphic borders on the top and bottom for the episode intro/previously on/next time segments where the letterbox would be?

Yup, there are, and we’re adding them to the sides now as well. We are cropping those SLIGHTLY to make the picture inside (you know, the important part) bigger and more presentable for wider TV’s. And before you go apeshit, this change was approved by DeMarco, so producer/writer on the show >>>>>>>> you.

Original broadcast version borders

Remastered broadcast version borders

4) Is there going to be a re-dub or replacement of voices for the remaster?

Nope, the dub will not be affected by the remaster.

5) Will the Ninja Tune music be replaced?

Hell no! Ninja Tune music will still be apart of both the uncut and Toonami versions. We’re not changing a thing.

6) So how are you remastering this exactly?

Overly technical answer incoming, so head’s up. Using a combination of the DVD masters which are properly in 16:9 (no letterbox) and the broadcast masters, I’m cutting them together to basically recreate the Toonami version’s cuts. Certain shots in the Toonami version (like this composited shot below) isn’t in the uncut, and rebuilding is probably too time consuming, so in cases like those, we’re simply blowing up the shot to remove the letterbox and filtering it somewhat to make it look good.

Episode 6, original uncut version shot

Episode 6, original Toonami version in 4:3, as presented on TV

Episode 6, remastered Toonami version presented in 16:9

There’s also the question of color timing. The Toonami version, for whatever reason, looks a little more saturated overall, so I’m color correcting to make sure it matches and doesn’t vary from shot to shot (using the broadcast master as the ultimate guide, color wise).

7 Will the 5.1 tracks from the previous Bandai discs be coming over?

Yup, in fact, I’m actually syncing my video to those tracks.

8) Will the special features from the Bandai release be coming over?

Discotek has told me that they are, so all the commentaries, interviews, IGPX micro-series episodes/movie cut, Comic-Con panel, promos and IGPX music video will be coming on over (I don’t think I missed anything).

9) What about the new special features? What can we expect from those?

Well, I’ve already done 2 interviews, one with writer/producer, Jason DeMarco, and one with editor/music supervisor Sara Hardy. The interviews in total are about 35 or so minutes long.

I plan on producing more features, like some new commentaries, but we’ll see about that! No firm plans have been made for new features as of this writing (other than the completed interviews), but I’m simply concentrating on getting further in the remaster, for now.

10) Blu-ray?

Probably not. I mean, ultimately that’s up to Discotek, but there’s no plans currently. The show was made in HD, according to Jason, but we don’t have access to those masters. I assume they’re over at Production IG, but again, we don’t have them, so we can’t use them. We’ll see what the future holds. Maybe if this set sells really well, that might give us more leverage to get IG on-board… so, you know, buy the DVD… and buy 18 copies of it for your friends. And then buy another copy for your parents. And then one for your cat, because secretly, all cats wish they were IGPX pilots like Luca.

11) Will this remastered version air on Toonami?

Well, that’s not really up to me! I personally have 100% no problem if [adult swim] wants to take this new version and air it on TV. I would personally make sure it would be upscaled properly to 1080i for broadcast. Ultimately, that’s up to the powers that be if that’s possible, or even if Toonami wants to air it again!

12) Is Toonami involved in the process of the remaster?

Yup. They’ve been very cooperative in providing masters and feedback, and lucky for me, they’ve liked the work I’ve done. Overall, they’re giving me space to work.

13) Is Discotek involved in the remaster process?

If they had said “No,” that basically would have been the end of it. Thankfully, they’ve been extremely responsive and supportive, providing the DVD masters for me to use. And frankly, Discotek knows how to put together amazing releases, and I’m not just saying that because I’m working on this set, I’m saying it as a fan. I mean… they released Mad Bull 34 and put Castle Of Cagliostro on Blu-ray! The amount of cool stuff they’ve put out is staggering!

14) Will you autograph my set?

Sure, but it’s not like my name’s in the credits.

15) How did you even get involved in all this?

Short story: Networking. Most powerful tool in the media industry.

Long story: Pitched Jason an idea about doing new features and a 16:9 Toonami version (which I created a demo for using my own DVD’s). He said he wasn’t involved with it, and told me to talk to Discotek. After numerous attempts, I finally got in contact through some of my connections and friends, and presented those same materials (along with the interviews to prove I was serious). I was told, “yes.” I got to work immediately, only stopping to work on the trailer for MoMoCon.

16) If I have any more questions, can I contact you?

I don’t mind, but I can’t guarantee I’ll have an answer. I might not know, or I might not be in a position to divulge that information, so please try to understand. Best way is to tweet me, @Jose_CNN.

Hope that answers a lot, and thanks for reading. Look forward to the full release… whenever it has a date!

Does not compute :frowning:

Discotek Media
Work in progress cover for the Descendants of Darkness collection

https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xft1/v/t1.0-9/s720x720/11428004_1102068576488902_1489773816946974515_n.jpg?oh=0da4fe011d12a34331c23f34125245fb&oe=55FB0676

Discotek Media
Go Nagai World work in progress cover

https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtf1/v/t1.0-9/s720x720/11391108_1102069809822112_4365855794561920194_n.jpg?oh=e6264146562e3e19d7d7f7007f382023&oe=55F72191

1 Like

http://jeargumedo.tumblr.com/post/122259848994/igpx-remaster-update

IGPX Remaster Update

To paraphrase a friend of mine; we’ve got ourselves a bad news, good news situation here.

The bad news is the IGPX Remaster will be starting over from episode 1 after I had finished most of the first season.

The good news is the reason we’re starting over is because we have brand new masters from earlier in the production chain that look much better! Without going into too much technical detail, this is gonna result in a slight delay in the remaster since it requires me to redigitize all 26 episodes from tapes, but the process should actually be much less labor intensive and actually faster to complete in the long run (not to mention, you get better looking DVD’s out of the deal).

IGPX. Coming soon. Only Discotek.

1 Like

Still no bluray?

was/is it really huge and popular enough to warrant them to spend on the BD rights?
It did bomb during it’s broadcast and physical release run, if I remember correctly; I could be mistaken.

Why not? The show was made in HD and they’ve got higher quality masters now. Didn’t the industry get past the “bluray is too expensive” hurdle when Sentai started releasing sub-only blurays?

I don’t know if it bombed during its broadcast run-I know I didn’t watch it-but I do know that I’d be a lot more interested in this if, assuming no new commentaries (though that ANNcast from a few months ago is almost a commentary for it), it were on bluray.

If they actually have quality HD masters now but still aren’t doing Blu-Ray then it’s likely that their license doesn’t allow for that. Bummer.

Mark Gosdin

Looking good. :thumbsup:

###Viewster Adds DNA²
posted on 2015-07-10 05:19 EDT

Discotek Media September Solicitations
(Amazon listings)

Robot Carnival DVD
Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust BD

Wasn’t Strike the Blood originally scheduled for release June 23? Did They delay it or what?

[quote=“Series5Ranger, post:95, topic:2366, full:true”]
Wasn’t Strike the Blood originally scheduled for release June 23? Did They delay it or what?[/quote]
Can’t find any info on it at all.
Looks like the last news on it was in February.

Discotek Media @ Otakon 2015

10:03:19 < bay|Ota|Discotek > discotek on bluray
10:03:46 <bay|Ota|Discotek> and our next release is in September and will be this
10:03:52 <bay|Ota|Discotek> Shin Getter Robo vs Neo Getter Robo
10:03:56 <bay|Ota|Discotek> this will be sub only(?)

10:03:59 < bay|Ota|Discotek > Samurai Pizza Cats
10:04:04 <bay|Ota|Discotek> all 52 episodes in English
10:04:13 <bay|Ota|Discotek> standard definition on blu-ray
10:04:32 <bay|Ota|Discotek> every episode in regular SD quality on a single blu-ray
10:04:24 <bay|Ota|Discotek> there are no HD masters for the series
10:04:56 <bay|Ota|Discotek> we’re experimenting with this
10:05:08 <bay|Ota|Discotek> we want to know if fans are interested in this (SD on BD)
10:05:22 <bay|Ota|Discotek> there is a bug on the disc which says that it’s in SD
10:05:37 <bay|Ota|Discotek> october 2015

09:53:40 < bay|Ota|Discotek > Gaiking
09:53:52 <bay|Ota|Discotek> all 44 episodes Japanese with English sutitles
09:53:54 <bay|Ota|Discotek> coming in 2016
09:54:00 <bay|Ota|Discotek> release details TBA

10:21:36 < bay|Ota|Discotek > Darkstalkers
10:21:39 <bay|Ota|Discotek> the complete ova collection
10:21:40 <bay|Ota|Discotek> early 2016
10:21:58 <bay|Ota|Discotek> all 4 classic ovas
10:22:06 <bay|Ota|Discotek> in English w/ subtitles and dubbed in English
10:22:11 <bay|Ota|Discotek> newly remastered
10:22:20 <bay|Ota|Discotek> we have new masters which are better than the old ones
10:22:24 <bay|Ota|Discotek> coming early next year
10:22:38 <bay|Ota|Discotek> old master vs new master

10:27:39 < bay|Ota|Discotek > “Yes, it’s uncut”
10:28:04 <bay|Ota|Discotek> Street Fighter II Movie
10:28:10 <bay|Ota|Discotek> coming soon in 2016
10:28:14 <bay|Ota|Discotek> yes, it’s uncut
10:28:29 <bay|Ota|Discotek> we got the japanese original one

###ANN: Discotek Adds 1976 Gaiking, Wicked City Anime
posted on 2015-07-26 13:39 EDT

Discotek Media @ Otakon 2015 - Continued

10:31:30 < bay|Ota|Discotek > now, the man on my far left has been waiting… IGPX
10:31:57 <bay|Ota|Discotek> coming soon
10:32:03 <bay|Ota|Discotek> newly remastered
10:32:09 <bay|Ota|Discotek> anamorphic widscreen
10:32:17 <bay|Ota|Discotek> if you weren’t aware, it was originally made in widescreen
10:32:20 <bay|Ota|Discotek> it was aired in 4:3
10:32:25 <bay|Ota|Discotek> we’re getting rid of that so you can watch the original
10:32:53 <bay|Ota|Discotek> all 26 episodes including both uncut and Toonami versions
10:32:56 <bay|Ota|Discotek> packed with extras
10:33:19 <bay|Ota|Discotek> november 2015 release date (tentative)
10:33:29 <bay|Ota|Discotek> i know people ask about the micro series, cause there are 4 versions
10:33:37 <bay|Ota|Discotek> as of right now, the plan is to include them all

10:34:46 < bay|Ota|Discotek > on BD for first time
10:37:47 <bay|Ota|Discotek> Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust
10:37:51 <bay|Ota|Discotek> Coming soon to DVD and BD
10:37:55 <bay|Ota|Discotek> newly remastered for BD
10:37:59 <bay|Ota|Discotek> includes the original English dub
10:38:17 <bay|Ota|Discotek> licensor declined to iclude Japanese dub, ut remember this fil mwa sproduced in ENglish
10:38:18 <bay|Ota|Discotek> sept 9 bluray
10:38:21 <bay|Ota|Discotek> sept 22nd dvd

10:42:30 < bay|Ota|Discotek > Iria: Zeiram the Animation
10:42:33 <bay|Ota|Discotek> original japanese with subtitles
10:42:34 <bay|Ota|Discotek> english dub
10:42:36 <bay|Ota|Discotek> new cleaner master for DVD
10:42:43 <bay|Ota|Discotek> extras (tentative)

10:38:44 < bay|Ota|Discotek > so how about another license announcement?
10:40:30 <bay|Ota|Discotek> back on DVD… newly remastered…
10:40:47 <bay|Ota|Discotek> featuing both streamline (usa) and manga (uk) english dubs
10:40:52 <bay|Ota|Discotek> Wicked City
10:40:58 <bay|Ota|Discotek> coming in 2016
10:41:08 <bay|Ota|Discotek> original japanese with subtitles
10:41:09 <bay|Ota|Discotek> both dubs
10:41:14 <bay|Ota|Discotek> working on extras…

10:43:02 < bay|Ota|Discotek > night on the galactic railroad
10:43:05 <bay|Ota|Discotek> jp with subs
10:43:06 <bay|Ota|Discotek> english dub
10:43:10 <bay|Ota|Discotek> extras (tenative)
10:43:12 <bay|Ota|Discotek> new for bluray
10:43:15 <bay|Ota|Discotek> novemeber 2015

10:43:27 < bay|Ota|Discotek > descendants of darkness dvd sept 29th

10:43:36 < bay|Ota|Discotek > the little mermaid (sept 29th)

10:30:04 < bay|Ota|Discotek > Discotek on Crunchyroll
10:30:09 <bay|Ota|Discotek> we’re doing stuff with Crunchyroll
10:30:15 <bay|Ota|Discotek> you can watch some stuff on Crunchyroll
10:30:21 <bay|Ota|Discotek> we’re partnering with them to release some of their titles
10:31:44 <bay|Ota|Discotek> 5 Centimeters per second, Free, Galilei Donna… (rest of list, other two coming soon)

Any mention of IGPX being on bluray? No update on Strike the Blood?

I guess it’s cool that Disco is taking a page out of Maiden Japan’s book and releasing a show with the incomplete English dub included but I wish that they (and especially MJ) would have a new dub made for the whole series.

what? a new dub for an all but forgotten obscure series?
you funny…

Why not? Sentai is doing it.

Yes on Orguss and Wicked C.
Mayyybe on Gaiking…mayyybe…

Keep on Truckin’ my man.

I can’t say I know much about any of these. DVD only is very disappointing, since Discotek tends to focus on releases that would see drastic visual improvement from HD blurays. Why no bluray? :cry:

I don’t know much about Orguss but that trailer has a “Voltron Vibe” to it.

The original Gaiking show might be better than the more recent one but, going by the trailer, the more recent one has a better theme song, kinda like GI-Joe of the 80s versus its 90s incarnation.

Wicked City looks a bit weird but I could be interested. I’d be more interested if it were on bluray though. Hopefully they won’t bungle the DVD video like Funimation has.

1 Like

DVD is cheaper both in licensing and printing, unless you want a one disc BD.

[quote=“celestial_being, post:105, topic:2366”]
“Voltron Vibe” to it
[/quote]don’t you mean Robotech/Macross vibe.

1 Like