Favorite Other Quotes

Share your favorite quotes from any other media besides anime.

“It would degrade me to marry Heathcliff now; so he shall never know how I love him: and that, not because he’s handsome, Nelly, but because he’s more myself than I am. Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same; and Linton’s is as different as a moonbeam from lightning, or frost from fire.”

Catherine Earnshaw - Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

“Listen to them. The children of the night. What music they make.”

Count Dracula - Dracula (1931 movie)

“It took us 15 years and three supercomputers to MacGyver a system for the gate on Earth.”

Samantha Carter – Stargate SG1 (TV pilot)

“I am NOT a merry man!”

Worf - Star Trek: The Next Generation (Qpid)

“Do you want to tell me what’s bothering you or would you like to break some more furniture?”

Deanna Troi to Worf - Star Trek: The Next Generation (Birthright)

How about a favorite quote From Star Trek, as seen on a bumper sticker in 1987?

“He’s dead, Jim. You get his tricorder, I’ll grab his wallet.”

:laugh: :laugh: I love it!

'You are drunk Sir Winston, you are disgustingly drunk. ‘Yes, Mrs. Braddock, I am drunk. But you, Mrs. Braddock are ugly, and disgustingly fat. But, tomorrow morning, I, Winston Churchill will be sober.’

Guess who that’s by? I’ve been waiting for years now for an excuse to use that on someone…

Jayne:You know what the chain of command is? It’s the chain I go get and beat you with ‘til you understand who’s in ruttin’ command here!” - Firefly ep. 2 “The Train Job”

Susan Ivanova:On your trip back, I’d like you to take the time to learn the Babylon 5 mantra: “Ivanova…is always right. I will listen to Ivanova. I will not ignore Ivanova’s recommendations. Ivanova…is God. And, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out!” Babylon Control out. [sighs to herself] Civilians. [looks up] Just kidding about that God part. No offense.” - Babylon 5 ep. 18 S2 “A Voice in the Wilderness”

1 Like

Movie Name: Wristcutters: A Love Story (2006)
Quote:
Kneller: Once upon a time there was a crooked tree and a straight
tree. And they grew next to each other. And every day the straight
tree would look at the crooked tree and he would say, “Youre
crooked. Youve always been crooked and youll continue to be
crooked. But look at me! Look at me!” said the straight tree. He
said, “Im tall and Im straight.” And then one day the lumberjacks
came into the forest and looked around, and the manager in charge
said, “Cut all the straight trees.” And that crooked tree is still
there to this day, growing strong and growing strange.

This is one of my favorite movies of all time with many great quotes but most of them make no sense out of context.

Back in the mid 60’s Robert A. Heinlein wrote Glory Road-a glorious fusion of sci-fi, fantasy and social comment. I read it when I was in high school and have re-read it since and it hasn’t lost it’s charm.

About this time, I started an affectation where I would read the last line of a book first. The idea was to engender curiosity as to how the author gets you to that last line. It only really worked for me with Glory Road. That last line was:

*Got any dragons you need killed? *

Sinclair:No. We have to stay here. And there’s a simple reason why. Ask ten different scientists about the environment, population control, genetics, and you’ll get ten different answers, but there’s one thing every scientist on the planet agrees on. Whether it happens in 100 years or a thousand years or a million years, eventually our Sun will grow cold and go out. When that happens, it won’t just take us. It’ll take Marilyn Monroe, and Lao-Tzu, and Einstein, and Morobuto, and Buddy Holly, and Aristophanes…[and] all of this…all of this…was for nothing. Unless we go to the stars.” - Babylon 5 ep. 4 “Infection”

ShawnMerrow wrote:

[quote]
Susan Ivanova: "On your trip back, I’d like you to take the time to learn the Babylon 5 mantra: “Ivanova…is always right. I will listen to Ivanova. I will not ignore Ivanova’s recommendations. Ivanova…is God. And, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out!”[/quote]

This is one of my all time favorite B5 quotes. I thought of it as soon as I saw the title of this thread…lol

Here’s another great one from Babylon 5:

“To live on as we have is to leave behind joy, and love, and companionship, because we know it to be transitory, of the moment. We know it will turn to ash. Only those, whose lives are brief can imagine that love … is eternal. … You should embrace that remarkable illusion. It may be the greatest gift your race has ever received.”

-- **Lorien to Ivanova in Babylon 5:"Into the Fire"**

This was the one of the final lines in the series and perhaps the best:

“Babylon 5 was the last of the Babylon stations. There would never be another. It changed the future … and it changed us. It taught us that we have to create the future … or others will do it for us. It showed us that we have care for one another, because if we don’t, who will? And that true strength sometimes comes from the most unlikely places. Mostly, though, I think it gave us hope … that there can always be new beginnings … even for people like us.”

-- General Ivanova in Babylon 5:"Sleeping in Light"

Also another great line from Ivanova in Season 4:

“Who am I? I’m Susan Ivanova, Commander, daughter of Andrei and Sofie Ivanov. I am the right hand of vengeance, and the boot that is gonna kick your sorry ass all the way back to Earth, sweetheart. I’m death incarnate and the last living thing that you’re ever going to see. God sent me.”

-- Ivanova in Babylon 5:"Between the Darkness and the Light"

One more and I will lay of Babylon 5 for a while:

*“I’m delirious with joy. It proves that if you confront the universe with good intentions in your heart, it will reflect that and reward your intent. Usually. It just doesn’t always do it in the way you expect.” *

--G'Kar in Epiphanies (Season 4)

Three quotes from various seasons and incarnations of Doctor Who:

First things first, but not necessarily in that order.

There’s no point in being grown up if you can’t be childish sometimes.

What’s the use of a good quotation if you can’t change it?

Dr. Rumack: "What was it we had for dinner tonight?"
Elaine Dickinson: "Well, we had a choice of steak or fish."
Dr. Rumack:Yes, yes, I remember, I had lasagna.
- Airplane

Bluto:Over? Did you say “over”? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!
- Animal House

Because somehow, nobody has posted it yet…(If it counts)

Duke Nukem: “I’ve got balls of steel!”

Super Troopers

“The snozzberries taste like snozzberries.”

“Luckily Alfalfa was an orphan owned by the studio.”

–Moe, The Simpsons

Taggart: "What do you want me to do, sir?"
Hedley Lamarr:I want you to round up every vicious criminal and gun slinger in the West. Take this down.
[Taggart looks for a pen and paper while Hedley talks]
Hedley Lamarr: "I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, shit-kickers, and Methodists!"
Taggart: [finally finding a pen and paper] “*Could you repeat that, sir? *”
- Blazing Saddles

“I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass… and I’m all out of bubblegum.”

George Nada
They Live

From Casablanca:

Rick: How can you close me up? On what grounds?
Captain Renault: I’m shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here!
[a croupier hands Renault a pile of money]
Croupier: Your winnings, sir.
Captain Renault: [sotto voce] Oh, thank you very much.
[aloud]
Captain Renault: Everybody out at once!