Funimation News

[quote=psychopuppet]

[quote=Newshawk]
Perhaps Funi will have to adopt Sentai’s strategy and won’t be able to do so many dubs now. I wonder what that will do to the Funi diehards…[/quote]

Funimation is like the only company that has not adopted the sub only for lesser sales expectation series. Course Funimation is also the company picking up more of the more higher sales expectation series. Then they are also kind of like the Nintendo of the Anime world. Using as many gimmicks as possible to try and keep sales going. It works for what it’s aimed at ,but eventually even those people grow tired of it.

Some of the anime fans kind of keep complaining about them getting peanut butter in their chocolate. Peanut butter = DVD and Chocolate = Blu-ray. In other words people are complaining about combo packs. :huh: That unfortunately is the way the teddy bear panties fall. Not everyone can have them and some just don’t want them without the girl inside.[/quote]

PP, your dry, technical writing style is uninspired. You need to be more colorful in your descriptions. :laugh:

I think the combo packs were an excellent idea. I can watch anime on DVD at home and when I go to my friend’s house I can watch it on Blu-ray.

[quote=ZakuAce]
I think the combo packs were an excellent idea. I can watch anime on DVD at home and when I go to my friend’s house I can watch it on Blu-ray.[/quote]

I don’t mind them, but I hate the fact that they use DVD packaging for them. It reminds more of the super cheap combo packs that Anchor Bay put out, not an anime release that you are paying a premium for. But Funi rarely releases anything I have an interest in these days, so I suppose it doesn’t really matter.

First I don’t have it and don’t know who does.

I would like to know what they do to content that isn’t in HD, what do they do to the stuff that was 4:3? Do they leave it 4:3 like most HD channels (SyFy, USA, FX, Disney). Or do they distort the picture so they can fill the whole screen (like TNT, TBS, Cartoon Network)?

I watch Bleach, Kekkaishi, and FMA: Brotherhood. But since these shows are not actually in HD Cartoon Network stretchs the picture so it fills the whole screen and that makes it unwatchable on the HD channel so I have to switch it to the SD channel. The picture quality on the SD channel is not as good (4:3 on SyFy HD looks better than 4:3 on SyFy SD).

I ask because we have a tier that has HD only channels that have no SD counterpart (HDNet, HDNet Movies, HD Theater, MGM HD, Palladia, Universal HD). That tier is $7.99 a month for 6 channels. I want to request Funimation and if the HD channel doesn’t distort non-HD content (leaves it OAR) I only need the HD version (wouldn’t need the SD version). I probably have a better chance if it’s in that HD only tier since it costs so much for only 6 channels.

[quote=SGRSBSKIER]
First I don’t have it and don’t know who does.

I would like to know what they do to content that isn’t in HD, what do they do to the stuff that was 4:3? Do they leave it 4:3 like most HD channels (SyFy, USA, FX, Disney). Or do they distort the picture so they can fill the whole screen (like TNT, TBS, Cartoon Network)?

I watch Bleach, Kekkaishi, and FMA: Brotherhood. But since these shows are not actually in HD Cartoon Network stretchs the picture so it fills the whole screen and that makes it unwatchable on the HD channel so I have to switch it to the SD channel. The picture quality on the SD channel is not as good (4:3 on SyFy HD looks better than 4:3 on SyFy SD).

I ask because we have a tier that has HD only channels that have no SD counterpart (HDNet, HDNet Movies, HD Theater, MGM HD, Palladia, Universal HD). That tier is $7.99 a month for 6 channels. I want to request Funimation and if the HD channel doesn’t distort non-HD content (leaves it OAR) I only need the HD version (wouldn’t need the SD version). I probably have a better chance if it’s in that HD only tier since it costs so much for only 6 channels.[/quote]

You’d probably get these answers better from the source, and that would be Funimation. Anime Network has nothing to do with Funimation, so they really don’t have most of those answers.
Slick

We have SVOD TAN but I would also like a 24/7 channel. I know TAN has nothing to do with Funimation that’s why I posted it in the other anime section. And I couldn’t find a forum on their website (maybe I missed it).

I would ask Funimation but I have asked TNT before and they act like there is nothing wrong with the way they show non-HD content. That is why I am asking if anyone has it and can tell me. I have family that has Verizon that has Funimation but not the HD.

How can you miss it??
It’s a link right at the top of the page on their homepage.

I was on the Funimation Channel website. I was just not paying enough attention to try the Funimation website.

FUNimation Reschedules 18 Releases

Posted by Chris Beveridge - Thursday, June 23rd, 2011 at 05:19 PM

So much for getting Spice and Wolf 2 and Eden of the East movie 2 at Otakon.

Agg.

Not to bad really all ,but a few of them are only a week to a few weeks. This probably has a lot to do with the current situation going on. Only one I’m effected by is Eden of the East Movie 2: Paradise Lost.

I’m actually kinda glad that EoE got pushed back. It means I’ll have more money when It’s released.

[size=16]Funimation, Niconico to Jointly License Anime[/size]
posted on 2011-10-14 15:30 EDT
New joint venture, Funico, formed to handle streaming/home video licenses for 2 firms

[size=16]FUNimation Entertainment And NICONICO, Inc., Forge U.S Partnership[/size]
Oct 14th 2011

[size=16]Funico - What Does it Mean?[/size]
by Christopher Macdonald (ANN CEO), Oct 14th 2011

Sounds ok except for not liking the way Christopher Macdonald worded some things and it reminded why I am not to keen on ANN sometimes.

I think we might see more of this in the future.

Hellsing Ultimate OVA Joins Adult Swim’s Toonami Block

posted on 2014-08-23 14:00 EDT
1st episode will premiere on September 13 at 3:00 a.m. ET/PT

[quote]FUNimation Entertainment Announces New Acquisitions at Anime Central

Flower Mound, TX – April 28, 2012 -FUNimation Entertainment announced today at Anime Central it has acquired the home media rights to the feature film King of Thorn and series Eureka 7: AO (Astral Ocean).

In addition, FUNimation has acquired the simulcasts rights for Eureka 7: AO. Full episodes will begin on www.funimation.com during spring 2012.

A brief synopsis for each series is listed below:

Eureka 7: AO (Astral Ocean) – The story is set on Okinawa’s isolated island of Iwado, which has seen a growing movement advocating a return to an autonomous government. Ao Fukai, a 13-year- old boy with a missing father, lives on the island with an old doctor named Toshio and is about to enter middle school. Ao’s mother was taken away a decade ago by unknown individuals. Naru Arata, Ao’s 13-year-old childhood friend and the story’s heroine, lives with her father, older sister, and grandmother. She has a “Yuta” power awakened within her due to an incident when she was young. A mysterious entity called “Secret” suddenly appears and launches an attack on the Scub Coral lifeform on the island. Ao launches a certain military FP called “Nirvash” aboard a Japanese military transport in his fervent desire to protect the island.

King of Thorn: Panic spreads worldwide as the Medousa Virus—a fatal pandemic that solidifies the body to stone—threatens to wipe out the human race. 160 infected individuals are selected to be cryogenically frozen while a cure is developed. Kasumi is one of those chosen for the experimental program. Forced to enter without her twin sister, Shizuku, her distress multiplies when she awakens to find the facility overrun with thick, thorny vines and ravenous monsters. As Kasumi and six others fight a losing battle to escape this labyrinthine nightmare, questions cloud her distorted mind. Where is her sister? Why did their only salvation mutate into a deathtrap? If they survive, how much longer do they have to live? [/quote]

There is more but this was the only one I cared about at the moment.

I’ve never heard of King of Thorn. Funimation has a preview of the dub up, and one of the bit characters is totally being voiced in a hilarious (IMO) Arnold Schwarzenegger impersonation. Maybe the dub will be well done; with Chris Bevins as the director there is hope. Though I admit that I was reminded a bit of Blue Gender from the preview, and I remember how horrid the Funimation Blue Gender dub was (surprisingly, that was a Sabat dub, and he has done some stellar stuff).

I have to admit that I’m surprised to see Funimation with this. I thought that Sentai was the king of anime sci-fi movies these days??

I’m not too surprised about Funi getting E7, but I’m kinda disappointed.

I can’t wait to buy this in like 3 years.