Funimation News

Technically, it’s one complete continuous season.
They’re just broadcast dubbing the second half. Mostly likely because the stream numbers were better than they expected.

That being said though, since FUNi licensed the entire series, it’ll likely get a full final dub later.

Hopefully, for Funi, this does’t peter out like their other initiatives: Nico Nico, co-productions, Guardians of Luna (even if they were only distributing), their pre-paid debit cards with their licensed characters.

one more day to go…

Going by these really short clips, I’d pick Death Parade as the better of these first batch of dub-casts.
Now for the other eight! A lot of sore throats by the time this is over perhaps. Hope that doesn’t start to show during the series’ run.

So, today was the day that all of this kicked off, right? How was it?

EDIT: So, it would seem that indeed it was only the Dubbletalk talk show that was on Twitch. Looking at the saved video of it, it looks like there were technical difficulties as the actual show doesn’t start until 8:40 into the 53:32 video.

I saw episode 1 of Death Parade dubbed. Not terrible, though it was rather melodramatic.

Dunno about the show though as it was both cheesy and ultra-cynical.

ANN ARTICLE: Funimation Announces The Rolling Girls Anime Dub Cast

###Funimation Blog: Rolling Girls Cast Announcement
Posted by Michelle on 02/20/2015 at 4:00pm

Leah and Rinehart + Clink FTW.

Assn Classrm needed ADV-era Patton or Rob Mungle. Krillan’s voice ain’t bad but he lacks comedic timing. Secret to comedy, after all, is…timing.

Significant lack of Caitlin Glass in the castings which increases her chance of being cast as Yona to about 90%

what…you mean we’re not hearing complaints about how many of the VA are being cast on majority of the shows…?

Why I find that odd? :wink:

Dunno: I’m concerned that the vocal “stop casting the same peeps” crowd may have shot both themselves and the dub community in the foot here as the veteran/noob actor ratio is off in some of these and I’m seeing some definite missed casting opportunities.

Kamisama Kiss 2 looks to have the best dub cast, balance-wise (solid vets outnumber both the weak vets and the 2 noobs). Too bad it is the second least likely show for me to watch of all the Broadcast Dubs lol.

…maybe Funimation should have looked to Freeman or Rinehart for Koro-sensei as they have demonstrated comedic timing and delivery in dubs. Or is it just the writing/direction folk gimping Strait (I guess Clink, their comedy dubber, couldn’t be brought on)? Hopefully they’ll work out their issues with that dub stat.

Hopefully they’re learning trying to dub 10 shows back-to-back in one season in not the smartest of moves.

I guess I did expect too much from it. I was actually hoping that I just didn’t see the humor that the show intended to have (easily possible as I don’t “get” most modern US comedies) but the Japanese track kinda dashed that. :disappointed:

Recently I watched the commentary track for Karneval where Funimation’s Chris Bevins said, quoting Funi/NGP’s Talesin Jaffe: “The subtitles should tell you what the joke is. The dub should make you laugh.” but the opposite is happening here for me. :open_mouth:

This is definitely leaving me with mixed feelings on Operation Broadcast Dub. :confounded:

I haven’t laughed at a US Broadcast TV comedy in 20+ years, they just aren’t funny … at least to me. I watched a lot of CN shows with my sons and those were funny up to about 8 or 9 years ago. Now I watch comedy in Anime and I can laugh at it, even when it takes knowing something about Japanese culture to understand the joke. :wink:

The thing about Funimation’s broadcast dubs is will they rework them prior to a physical release? There are going to be mistakes made no matter how hard the VA’s & Producers try, so some rework is inevitable and complete do-overs may be needed. :worried:

Mark Gosdin

Supposedly, Funimation claims that they will do call backs and rework the dubs prior to physical release, since they get cut scenes etc that aren’t included in the broadcast dub. Let me see if I can find the article…

Here it is:

Funimation Broadcast Dubs Announcement

important part Quoted here:

[quote]
Following the release of the FUNimation Broadcast Dub, FUNimation will continue to produce a final English dub for the DVD/Blu-ray release, using materials from Japan’s DVD/Blu-ray release. This final version can be different from the broadcast version, including uncut footage not seen in the broadcast.[/quote]

I’m finding it’s the reverse for me. A good majority of TV shows, both live action and animated, I’m finding just don’t hold up years later. Movies seem to be safe, for now. He-Man was awesome then, now I can’t watch it without rolling eyes and sighing at the situations. Thundar’s is still cool. Adventure Time captures the exact spirit of He-Man.

I’m not sure that I follow that, but I didn’t see too much of He-Man (by this point, I’ve probably seen more of it in those Honda commercials than I ever did in actual episodes lol). :smile:

I’m starting to wonder again if perhaps Funi should have enlisted outside help for this Broadcast Dub initiative as Death Parade's dub still isn’t coming together properly-no “gestalt”-after 3 episodes and they “copypasted” the bulk of the actors 'n staff from Psycho-pass 2 on it (no time for regular casting procedures?).

Even if Funi’s broadcast dubs themselves are a bust, they’ve spurred AoA into similar action now and that’s a boon as it will enable me to see an AoA dubbed title without the normal AoA barriers of entry.

So far as I’ve gotten, I’m enjoying this Rolling Girls dub. It might be the best of the Broadcast Dubs.

[size=16]Funimation Announces Yurikuma Arashi Broadcast Dub Cast[/size]
posted on 2015-03-12 15:18 EDT
Alexis Tipton, Monica Rial, Jamie Marchi to star

Finally at Tatum role (and an “ironic” one at that) in a broadcast dub.

Yuri Bears is a show that is so metaphoric, and the metaphors are so blatant, that you can’t just watch it for the story (or the animation: this is almost Clutch Cargo-style limited): If you’re not interested in the director’s views on a Japanese social issue then the show ain’t for you, that’s what I found out the hard way. :frowning:

I still would have preferred Tatum to have been cast as Decim. If that would have precluded him from Yuri Bears (though Jad Saxton is in at least 3) then Ian Sinclair could have tagged in on Yuri Bears.

The biggest Question I really want to know, is who’s going to play Yona?