Funimation News

I must be the only one on this forum who can’t tell the difference between a good encode and a bad encode. :unsure:

[quote=ZakuAce]
I must be the only one on this forum who can’t tell the difference between a good encode and a bad encode. :unsure:[/quote]

Your not the only one. I have yet to notice all these horrible video problems in any of the Funimation DVD I have watched. I have watched several of the 13 episode collections and they look just fine on my TV.

[quote=ZakuAce]
I must be the only one on this forum who can’t tell the difference between a good encode and a bad encode. :unsure:[/quote]

You’re not.

[quote=ShawnMerrow]

[quote=ZakuAce]

Your not the only one. I have yet to notice all these horrible video problems in any of the Funimation DVD I have watched. I have watched several of the 13 episode collections and they look just fine on my TV.[/quote]

Some people need an excuse to dislike Funimation, disliking the encode is one of them. so they can look really smart since most people would be like “whaat! are you talking about?” Another one is not liking official subs they want FaN Subs, but that makes them look dumb.

[quote=ShawnMerrow]

[quote=ZakuAce]

Your not the only one. I have yet to notice all these horrible video problems in any of the Funimation DVD I have watched. I have watched several of the 13 episode collections and they look just fine on my TV.[/quote]

Nor have I, and never have.
Nor have I ever noticed a clarity differential (though I watch everything upconverted these days).

Now freezing on my old DVD player because of thir old way of encoding the text titles, that’s another thing.

[quote=chrisc]
Some people need an excuse to dislike Funimation, dislikeing the encode is one of them. so they can look really smart since most people would be like “whaat! are you talking about?” Another one is not liking official subs they want FaN Subs, but that makes them look dumb.[/quote]

In my case since I still spend at least $200.00 a year on stuff from them I’d not call it a excuse ,but more of someone that has watched more then most people seeing an issue. I believe a slight issue of this aliasing is what I see though it could be called something else. If you don’t know what you are looking for it hard to see. It’s something that I use to see in a lot of older DVD’s. Looks like p What made me facepalm is for a good bit there the BCI release of the 1983 cartoon He-Man and the Masters of the Universe looked better then Funimation’s releases. Maybe Navarre should have moved the BCI encode staff to Funimation.

Back to the topic at hand: I am at least glad Kaleido Star and Chrono Crusade will still be on the market for future buyers. Just a shame the company that made them great is no longer the ones releasing them. Though really there is no more ADV so guess the point is moot now.

[quote=chrisc]

[quote=ShawnMerrow]

[quote=ZakuAce]

Some people need an excuse to dislike Funimation, dislikeing the encode is one of them. so they can look really smart since most people would be like “whaat! are you talking about?” Another one is not liking official subs they want FaN Subs, but that makes them look dumb.[/quote]

I have entirely different reasons for disliking Funimation, and they have to do more with behavior some of their “reps” have exhibited online and in the marketplace, particularly when talking about their competitors. And that’s about all I can say in a public forum on that.

But video problems are a legitimate excuse. Until I bought a higher quality HD set, I never noticed them either, except for Gunslinger Girl and Fruits Basket which look bad even on CRT TV. It should be noted that video quality is highly variable on a number of factors. The quality of your setup can impact it quite a bit, meaning two people with HD setups can get completely different results with the same DVD or bluray. However, a well encoded DVD or bluray should yield impressive results regardless of the setup. Most of Funimations sets over the past year don’t.

[quote=chrisc]

I don’t need a reason to dislike them. I don’t like their back room dealing and wheeling. I still have a gut feeling that they, and ARM, set ADV up to fail. They both knew that they would be taking all of those titles off ADV after all of the hard work was done with production and dubbing.
As for fans subs, you watch them, so what does that make you?
Slick

I think chrisc is also missing one important thing. When Sentai was releasing all subtitled sets, as most successful new anime companies do when they start out, they were Funi fans rooting for them to go out of business. Some said they were boycotting all their releases until they would dub EVERYTHING. Others even made death threats against John Ledford and Matt Greenfield on ANN.

Even the few of us here that dislike Funimation aren’t going that extreme. We don’t like certain aspects about how the company conducts business, or how they treat some of their releases. But if they are shows we still want, we still purchase them to support the makers of the show and that so they are part of our collection. Not even myself, Psychopuppet, Slickwolfie, or Dragoon want them out of business. Nor do we wish any harm to come to Fukunaga or others.

Regardless of our feelings on any of the companies, I think most of us can agree that it’s a bit far to threaten harm to others, or wish people out of work in this economy because they aren’t doing things the exact way we like them; especially when they way they are conducting business is the way many others prefer it and could be quite profitable for all we know.

[quote=slickwolfie]

[quote=chrisc]

I don’t need a reason to dislike them. I don’t like their back room dealing and wheeling. I still have a gut feeling that they, and ARM, set ADV up to fail. They both knew that they would be taking all of those titles off ADV after all of the hard work was done with production and dubbing.
As for fans subs, you watch them, so what does that make you?
Slick[/quote]

If you don’t remember ARM was shut down right after they pulled the licenses.

I only watched Angel Beats fan subs and its been like over a year since last one I watched. I am also a Crunchyroll member. If Angel Beats gets licensed I would watch it with subs again if I had to. It woud be better with official subs.

[quote=dragonrider_cody]
I think chrisc is also missing one important thing. When Sentai was releasing all subtitled sets, as most successful new anime companies do when they start out, they were Funi fans rooting for them to go out of business. Some said they were boycotting all their releases until they would dub EVERYTHING. Others even made death threats against John Ledford and Matt Greenfield on ANN.

Even the few of us here that dislike Funimation aren’t going that extreme. We don’t like certain aspects about how the company conducts business, or how they treat some of their releases. But if they are shows we still want, we still purchase them to support the makers of the show and that so they are part of our collection. Not even myself, Psychopuppet, Slickwolfie, or Dragoon want them out of business. Nor do we wish any harm to come to Fukunaga or others.

Regardless of our feelings on any of the companies, I think most of us can agree that it’s a bit far to threaten harm to others, or wish people out of work in this economy because they aren’t doing things the exact way we like them; especially when they way they are conducting business is the way many others prefer it and could be quite profitable for all we know.[/quote]

The thing that was pissing people off before was big titles was going sub only if Clannad never got licensed or went right to dub, not many people would have complained. I thought it was a sick joke at first, I couldn’t believe it. Before the announcement I couldn’t wait to buy 6 volumes at over $120 for Clannad. Toradora I just don’t care anymore.

[quote=chrisc]

[quote=dragonrider_cody]

Regardless of our feelings on any of the companies, I think most of us can agree that it’s a bit far to threaten harm to others, or wish people out of work in this economy because they aren’t doing things the exact way we like them; especially when they way they are conducting business is the way many others prefer it and could be quite profitable for all we know.[/quote]

The thing that was pissing people off before was big titles was going sub only if Clannad never got licensed or went right to dub, not many people would have complained. I thought it was a sick joke at first, I couldn’t believe it. Before the announcement I couldn’t wait to buy 6 volumes at over $120 for Clannad. Toradora I just don’t care anymore.[/quote]

Big titles to YOU, not necessarily big titles in the market place. What are often big titles in japan and in the hardcore fan group will quite often underperform in the US. The thing with Clannad that’ s funny is that we got a bilingual release just as quickly as if Funi licensed it, given their usual turn around speed.

Regardless, threatening someone is going too far over a damn DVD release. The “fans” that that did so are just pathetic.

[quote=dragonrider_cody]

[quote=chrisc]
The thing that was pissing people off before was big titles was going sub only if Clannad never got licensed or went right to dub, not many people would have complained. I thought it was a sick joke at first, I couldn’t believe it. Before the announcement I couldn’t wait to buy 6 volumes at over $120 for Clannad. Toradora I just don’t care anymore.[/quote]

Big titles to YOU, not necessarily big titles in the market place. What are often big titles in japan and in the hardcore fan group will quite often underperform in the US. The thing with Clannad that’ s funny is that we got a bilingual release just as quickly as if Funi licensed it, given their usual turn around speed.

Regardless, threatening someone is going too far over a damn DVD release. The “fans” that that did so are just pathetic.[/quote]

Clannad is Sentai Filmworks best selling anime, Yes its a big title. Threatening someone is going to far, but Sentai Filmworks biggest mistake was not telling us up front it was going sub only we had to wait until we saw it listed at Rightstuf as sub only. I didn’t even know what the “S” ment at Rightstuf on anime listings before. that was what I was mad about at first.

If you want to read my first reaction when we found out. http://www.rightstuf.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/11592/1.html

Lets get this back on topic. So do you think when other anime licenses expire they wouldn’t get relicensed by Sentai Filmworks?

Wow! I wasn’t got to comment but man this thread has gone all over the place. First I like Funimation and I have no problem with them or encoding. I like Section 23/Sentai Films also but we don’t totally know what with licensees when Sentai was created from what was left adv. So I am not going to just get made because Sentai maybe passed on older titles and Funimation got them when given the chance. I look this way 3 good titles are now going to be still available out there for fans and not disappear into the night like some titles. Funimation whatever you want to say unlike for some other companies tried to get the cast back together for shows (Slayers Revolution/Evolution-R, DBZ Kai, Eva Movies, Full Metal Panic: TSR, Tenchi Muyo Third OVA, FMA: Brotherhood) You don’t like funimation and some of what they do (i’m no fan of everything they do or some other companies do either but support anime). That is fine but don’t try to mess it up for everyone else. I watch the Anime and as long as they put some good stuff that is all that matters to me.

[quote=Supermutant]
Wow! I wasn’t got to comment but man this threat has gone all over the place. [/quote]

It would have been fine, if chris would have kept his mouth shut like he said he was going to in the first place. He likes to stir things up.

I had to laugh at “I didn’t even know what S meant” … I think that says enough right there.

If old titles have to change hands to make way for new ones, so be it. Funi isn’t going to make much money from these anyhow, for various reasons already mentioned. If we get some new content sub only, so be it, subtitles don’t bother me a bit.

[quote=ShawnMerrow]
I’m a fan of anime before any company. I’m just glad they will remain available.[/quote]

[quote=Supermutant]
Wow! I wasn’t got to comment but man this thread has gone all over the place. First I like Funimation and I have no problem with them or encoding. I like Section 23/Sentai Films also but we don’t totally know what with licensees when Sentai was created from what was left adv. So I am not going to just get made because Sentai maybe passed on older titles and Funimation got them when given the chance. I look this way 3 good titles are now going to be still available out there for fans and not disappear into the night like some titles. Funimation whatever you want to say unlike for some other companies tried to get the cast back together for shows (Slayers Revolution/Evolution-R, DBZ Kai, Eva Movies, Full Metal Panic: TSR, Tenchi Muyo Third OVA, FMA: Brotherhood) You don’t like funimation and some of what they do (i’m no fan of everything they do or some other companies do either but support anime). That is fine but don’t try to mess it up for everyone else. I watch the Anime and as long as they put some good stuff that is all that matters to me.[/quote]

Well said, both of you. Every company that relicenses a title is doing the same thing: trying to make a buck off someone else’s work. Whether it’s Chobits, Lost Universe or World of Narue, it’s all the same.

I already have Chrono Crusade and I have no interested in the other three, but it’s good these titles will remain available for new fans to enjoy.

I hope Chrono Crusade & Kaleido Star can get a blu-ray release now. ADV already flooded the market with these titles, we should thank Funimation for keeping them in stores. Sentai Filmworks probably didn’t even want them.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Meanwhile in…

Seriously though why does everyone want what their up-scaling DVD player can do just fine and in some cases probably better?

[quote=psychopuppet]
Seriously though why does everyone want what their up-scaling DVD player can do just fine and in some cases probably better?[/quote]

The pretty blue cases, perhaps? :dry: :unsure: :blink: :wink: :laugh: