Funimation News

Funimation October 2021 Solicitations

July 15, 2021

LINKS NOT UP YET

October 5, 2021

• C3 – The Complete Series (Sub Only) – Essentials (Blu-ray + Digital)
  • Golden Kamuy – Season 3 (Blu-ray/DVD + Digital)
  • TAMAYOMI: The Baseball Girls – The Complete Season (Blu-ray + Digital)

October 12, 2021

• Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear – Season 1 (Blu-ray + Digital)

October 19, 2021

• The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-Chan – The Complete Series – Essentials (Blu-ray + Digital)
  • Dragon Ball Z – Resurrection ‘F’ (Blu-ray/DVD)
  • My Hero Academia: Two Heroes + Heroes Rising – SteelBook (Blu-ray + Digital)

October 26, 2021

• GOBLIN SLAYER – Season 1 – SteelBook (Blu-ray + Digital)
  • Haibane Renmei – The Complete Series (Blu-ray + Digital)
  • Higurashi: When They Cry – GOU – Season 1 Part 1 (Blu-ray + Digital)
  • The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya – Seasons 1 & 2 – Essentials (Blu-ray + Digital)
  • Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans – The Complete Series (Blu-ray + Digital)
  • Wandering Witch: The Journey of Elaina – The Complete Season (Blu-ray + Digital)

RightStuf Links

1 Like

Hmmm…

C3 was pretty good.

Maybe I’ll pick that one up…

2 Likes

Haibane Renmei if it’s not a we were given this and just threw it on a disc release ,

Others later maybe .

2 Likes

Already have the Goblin Slayer Steelbook on preorder from Best Buy. Nothing else for me.

2 Likes

Want:

Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear

2 Likes

I’m told that this show was surprisingly dark and showed the consequences of the main character’s carefree meddling as she travels about. Almost the opposite of Mushi-shi or Kino’s Journey. But I haven’t seen more of it than some clips that support that argument.

Why doesn’t the steelbook include the movie? I’m tempted to pick it up as I did not pick up the series’ original release…and everyone knows that steelbooks are metal.

Is this going to be a trend, that Funi will re-release its shows on steelbooks ~2 years after the normal cardboard release?

Same here. Otherwise I’ll keep on keeping on for a while longer with the Funi DVD release I bought from their convention booth (talk about a relic).

2 Likes

Ergo Proxy: Purpose in the Apocalypse

by Matthew Roe, Jul 30th 2021

Ergo Proxy: Purpose in the Apocalypse

1 Like

Definitely a Top 10 show IMHO, they don’t make 'em like that any more. As I recall it was an anime that was not only early HD but was made for a paid TV network in Japan. And they managed to do it without getting sued into oblivion by Evanescence :rofl:

Now, while I do agree that Ergo Proxy can come across as a discount Texhnolyze…

I’m not sure that I can agree with this, as while there are some starting similarities (FTR I really liked Texhnolyze), Texhnolyze is very inaccessible (that first ep…) and has a very different arc and ending. From a Western perspective, Texhnolyze is an uber tragedy while Ergo Proxy ends on an uplifting note.

“Discount Texhnolyze” is a claim that could be said of Sentai/ADV’s Gilgamesh, though that wouldn’t be fair as that was a solid show on its own merits, and our ole pal Steven Foster brought his A game for it. Too bad no one saw it…bluray license rescue when? :pray:

Both are also solid examples of dubs punching above their weight. This sort of show jibed with the CA dub style, and I’d put Ergo Proxy’s dub above its sub.

…Did Funimation ever manage to get the rights to put Radiohead’s Paranoid Android in the ED?

Should be on the Blu-ray releases . As far as I know the streaming is the only thing missing it .

Gilgamesh getting relicensed I doubt it . I’m not sure it sold to well . Hard to tell since ADV rereleased a lot of stuff a few times even if it did not sell well . I believe it was one of the titles that did get transferred ,but after this 2009 release which used the extra less 5 disc from the 2007 thinpak it was never mentioned again .

Never had a Blu-ray in Japan either so Sentai would have to do their own upscale .

I do wonder if anyone ever manages to re-license Paradise Kiss again if they will be able to use Do You Want To .

3 Likes

It’s ok but Elaina is so Narcissistic, she becomes really unlikable.

2 Likes

I really overlooked this one, but one of my bros painted the series as showing what would happen if “Spiderman didn’t get the Uncle Ben lecture”, because she has great power but no responsibility and pretty much wrecks everywhere she goes as a consequence, and has zero worry/remorse over it.

Though when I read that, it sounds like it could be rewritten as “What if Rian Johnson directed Kino’s Journey?” :worried:

Ugh, I remember that. I bought that sucker (I guess I was the sucker), and then had to go out and track down all the stand-alone DVDs in order to get the extras. They put the work into making the extras, I don’t know why they didn’t want to maximize the audience who could see them.

But Sentai could just put them all onto a bluray in progressive SD, I wouldn’t mind that. Although I would suggest that, looking at the box art you posted, they pick some different box art. The individual DVDs had some better covers than that. :+1:

Y’know, I’m not sure I’ve ever experienced any of these ADV dubs in 5.1 surround sound. I’m almost afraid to, as if it turns out to be awesome then I’ll be crushed that nowadays so many dubs are just stereo. But I’m curious, how were they?

1 Like

Spatial Audio Arrives on the All-New Funimation iOS App!

2021-08-05T05:00:00Z

Funimation November 2021 Solicitations

August 15, 2021
(Funimation Shop links)

November 2, 2021

Fire Force S1

Fire Force Season 1 Complete - BD+Fun Digital
Languages: English, Japanese with English Subtitles
Special Features: Episode 1 Commentary / Fire Force: Interview with Atsushi Ohkubo at Anime Expo 2019 / Fire Force: Atsushi Ohkubo Speed Drawing at Anime Expo 2019 / Fire Force Inside the Episode: Episode 5, Episode 8, Episode 12 / Episode 10 Commentary / Textless Opening Song / Textless Closing Song / Fire Force Inside the Episode: Episode 16, Episode 20, Episode 24 / Textless Opening Song / Textless Closing Song

Fire Force S2

Fire Force Season 2 Part 2 - BD/DVD Combo + Fun Digital
Special Features: Fire Force Voice Actors Answer Your Questions / Textless Opening Song / Textless Closing Song

Fire Force Season 2 Part 2 - BD/DVD Combo + Fun Digital - LE
Special Features: Fire Force Voice Actors Answer Your Questions / Textless Opening Song / Textless Closing Song

Love Live! Sunshine!!

Love Live! Sunshine!! The Complete Series - Classics - BD+Fun Digital
Special Features: Promo Video / Commercials / Textless Opening Song “Aozora Jumping Heart” / Trailers / Promo Videos / Textless Opening Song / Textless Closing Song / Trailers

Our Last Crusade or the Rise of a New World

Our Last Crusade or the Rise of a New World The Complete Season - BD/DVD+Fun Digital - LE
Special Features: Our Last Crusade or Rise of a New World: Magic vs Science / Preview Videos / Promo Videos / Commercials / Character Promo Videos: Iska, Alice, Mismis, Nene, Jhin, Rin, Sisbell / Textless Opening Song / Textless Closing Song

Our Last Crusade or the Rise of a New World The Complete Season - BD/DVD+Fun Digital
Special Features: Our Last Crusade or Rise of a New World: Magic vs Science / Preview Videos / Promo Videos / Commercials / Character Promo Videos: Iska, Alice, Mismis, Nene, Jhin, Rin, Sisbell / Textless Opening Song / Textless Closing Song

The Rising of the Shield Hero S1

The Rising of the Shield Hero Season 1 Complete - BD+Fun Digital
Special Features: Promo Video / TV Spot / Textless Opening Song / Textless Closing Song / Textless Opening Song / Textless Closing Song

November 9, 2021

How Not to Summon a Demon Lord

How Not to Summon a Demon Lord The Complete Series - Classics - BD+Fun Digital
Special Features: Episode 01 Video Commentary / Episode 11 Commentary / Promo Video / Textless Opening Song “DeCIDE”

One Piece S11

One Piece Season Eleven Voyage Five - BD/DVD
Special Features: Textless Opening Song “Wake Up!” / Textless Opening Song “Hard Knock Days”

Restaurant to Another World

Restaurant to Another World The Complete Series - Essentials - BD+Fun Digital
Special Features: Promo Videos / Commercials / Textless Opening Song / Textless Closing Song

November 16, 2021

Ikebukuro West Gate Park

Ikebukuro West Gate Park The Complete Season - BD+Fun Digital
Special Features: Web Previews / Promo Video & Commercial Collection / Textless Opening Song / Textless Closing Song, ver. 1 / Textless Closing Song, ver. 2

Muhyo & Roji's Bureau of Supernatural Investigation S2

Muhyo & Roji’s Bureau of Supernatural Investigation Season 2 - BD+Fun Digital
Special Features: Season 1 TV Series Recap Videos / Promo Videos / Commercials / Textless Opening Song / Textless Closing Song

My Roommate Is a Cat

My Roommate is a Cat The Complete Series - Essentials - BD+Fun Digital
Special Features: Episode 12 Commentary / Textless Opening Song / Textless Closing Song

Robotech Part 2

Robotech - Part 2 (The Masters) - BD+Fun Digital
Languages: English
Special Features: Robotech Music Videos / Deleted Scenes / First Contact / Transformation / Homecoming / Battlefront / War & Peace / Final Conflict / A New Threat / “Robotech: The Inside Story” Documentary, Featuring the Original 1985 Production Crew;Galaxy of the Stars - Harmony Gold Promotional Reel

November 23, 2021

Haibane Renmei

Haibane Renmei The Complete Series
Special Features: Next Episode Previews / Creator Interview / Hane Haeterun / Special Ending / Trailers and Commercials / Textless Opening and Ending Songs

November 30, 2021

Akudama Drive

Akudama Drive The Complete Season - BD/DVD+Fun Digital - LE
Special Features: Key Animation Movies / Promo Videos / Commercials / Textless Opening Song / Textless Closing Song

Akudama Drive The Complete Season - BD+Fun Digital
Special Features: Key Animation Movies / Promo Videos / Commercials / Textless Opening Song / Textless Closing Song

Bungo and Alchemist -Gears of Judgement-

Bungo and Alchemist -Gears of Judgement- The Complete Season - BD+Fun Digital
Special Features: Bungo and Alchemist -Gears of Judgement- A Special Message / Commercials - Battle Versions / Commercials - Regular Versions / Textless Opening Song, ver. 1 / Textless Opening Song, ver. 2 / Textless Opening Song, ver. 3 / Textless Closing Song, ver. 1 / Textless Closing Song, ver. 2

Darling in the FRANXX S1

DARLING in the FRANXX Season 1 - SteelBook
Special Features: Episode Audio & Video Commentaries / Pre-Broadcast Special / Playback Specials I & II / Textless Opening & Ending Songs

RightStuf Links

1 Like

Maybe Haibane Renmei, as it has been a long time since I watched it and I only watched it through subbed. Looking at the placeholder cover art though, IMO SonyAniFuniRoll needs to get its corporate rear in gear and complete the trifecta: put Texhnolyze onto bluray!

Akudama Drive…that show started off so fun, was looking like it would be a fun Rule of Cool show, but then it made a hard left turn and got lost in the weeds. If singles were still a thing, I’d buy the first half of the show for sure, but the whole thing? Maybe if it had extras, but it looks like Funi forgot the on-disc extras for this 'un.

Franxx Steelbook I’m still going for it, the show is a legend, but man is that art uninspired. Some years back, Funimation had Antimere Robinson as a packaging designer and he remarked that the goal was to design packaging that was better than the product within: I’m no mandalorian, but I’m pretty sure this is the way. :laughing:

Love Live Sunshine Seems like I’m always hearing how popular this series is, so I’m a little surprised to see that it didn’t sell. I’m pretty sure that if you’ve seen a few eps of any LL series then you’ve seen all of LL, but then again I’m an aidoru philistine who liked Macross Delta :rofl:

1 Like

Buy
-Our Last Crusade

maybe
-Restaraunt to Another World

"Have the DitF steelbook coming from Best Buy next month

1 Like

This series is on my radar but I haven’t seen it yet. How was it?

1 Like

It was pretty good, imo. A bit Romeo & Juliet, and some decent fight scenes. Animation was a bit lacklustre but the character designs were good.

Give it a few episodes, to see if it’s up your alley

2 Likes

Funimation, Gonzo Stream Ragnarok - The Animation, Witchblade, Burst Angel Anime on YouTube for Limited Time

posted on 2021-09-02 14:00 EDT by Alex Mateo
Episodes will be available for free from September 2-November 30

3 Likes