Online Player, Subscriptions issues and Q&A thread

Thank you for your feedback, we’re looking into this issue right now and will get back to you as soon as we find out whats going on. thanks!

all the hard work is much appreciated

The short story is, it’s secure, the problem is there are some elements in the page not related to the ordering that are not related to Anime Network and aren’t supposed to be in the secured ordering portion (or something of that nature).

Anyone who ordered or orders, from my understanding should have a totally secure experience.

Having said that they do realize that that warning will freak a few people out, so they are working on getting that aspect resolved.

I looked and didn’t find an answer to this so I was hoping someone could help, Is this a revolving charge that is going to be charged each month until I cancel (that’s only if I decide to of course) or is it something where Ill get a message that I need to sign up for another month when my membership is about to run out? (hopefully the latter because I always forget about revolving charges like the XM in my car.)

batou01 wrote:

It will be charged each month automatically. If you want to cancel your membership, you must cancel 10 days prior to your subscriptions renew date.
Slick

so still no news on getting the whole page secure when you have to put in your c/c number? I guess its what… the ads that are also links on the page that firefox is reading as non secure or what? Id really like to sign up for this and I have been checking back daily to see if the whole page is secure but as of yet no luck.

No update yet. I do know it’s a top priority for them and one they take extremely seriously - they want you all to be at ease and feel safe with your order.

I won’t go over the specifics since that’s not really necessary and really ultimately for you the end user not important, but I do know it’s a complex issue… perhaps one that might be taking them more time than expected due to its complexity. At the end of the day all that’s relevant is how to ease the customer’s concerns in this regard by solving it completely and one that they will need to solve, for your sake but also their sake.

I’ll ask again when they’re in tomorrow.

Will TAN offer a discounted pricing system for people who subscribe to TAN SVOD? Honestly I think that may bring in more people who pay for TAN SVOD. I know I can’t afford the SVOD fee of $6.99 and the Online fee of $6.95. Now if the Online player was priced around $3.48 (50% off) for current SVOD subscribers I would defiantly subscribe to both.

batou01 wrote:

[size=4]Fully secure now![/size] :slight_smile: I tested it in IE8 and Opera both are reporting fully secure. Let me know if you have any issue on your side still.

Now that I’m an official subscriber, I figure I might as well find out more about what I’m subscribing to! (I subscribed since I want to support this type of effort - and I’ve already seen a couple of series since subscribing :laugh: )

I don’t see a FAQ out yet, so I’m just going to list a bunch of questions I have, some of which are probably general enough for a future FAQ, but several aren’t. Feel free to just answer some of them.

Choice of shows:

Will VOD selection imply “Watch Online” (WO) selection in general? I realize that it all depends on licensing agreements, but will you in general be trying to get licenses for both as you go forward?

(Particular question: Will Revolutionary Girl Utena be coming to Watch Online as well as VOD? Searching for availability of it is what brought me to your site in the first place.)

Will Watch Online (WO) serve as a way to get VOD back shows (episodes that have rotated off VOD)? Ie, if a show’s episodes are coming to both VOD and WO, will all the WO episodes stay available at least until the whole series finishes on VOD?

Will the WO series stay around even after the VOD showings end? (I realize that depends on licenses again.)

If a WO show needs to be removed because your license to it is expiring, will you tell us about it in advance? It would be annoying to be in the middle of a series and have it disappear on us!

Are you trying to go after any show you can get, or are you concentrating more on those that you already have a relationship with?

Physical shows:

Can you say anything how the shows are encoded? (Bit rate, audio type/rate)

Will you go back and improve encodings at some point, or are do you just want to concentrate on new additions for the time being?

Is there a chance of getting both dubs and subs for some series, for those of us who have a preference for one or the other?

If there’s a problem with a show, where do we report it? I’ve seen over 50 episodes so far with no problems. I see some reports in the forum section here, is this where you want the reports (if the forum gets busy, will you really be reading all submissions?)

Online Player:

Can you give a link to how to use the player? It’s quite simple, but I don’t know if I’m missing any capabilities. I didn’t see anything on the global link to the player, since that was meant for developers.

Are there hardware/software minimum or recommended setups for the player? In my case, I can’t watch on my 24" widescreen (DVI-D connection) since panning or zooming shots are very jumpy. They’ve much smoother on another computer with 19" standard LCD screen, but in general it’s much blurrier. The problem is probably cheap graphics cards on each, but how do I tell whether it’s at my end or is a function of the player or the show itself?

I see you are making things available through PSN, Does this include WO?

Are you looking for other distribution possibilities for WO? I’d love to see WO join all the other choices I can get through my TiVo.

If we have congestion type problems, where should we report them? Today was the first day I had problems. I watched for several hours, and throughout the period, every 10-15 seconds (very regular) the “100” timer would flicker on for a split second and disappear. Very annoying since it’s in the middle of the screen! (Is it possible to move it?) In addition, I had 3 total losses where it went down to near 0, then recovered a bit, but never made it back to 100. Restarting the episode from scratch always worked well with no delays (timings of two of the stoppages were 11:04 and 1:45 EDT).

Subscription:

I see at some point you said you might impose a limit on hours per month. I can understand that, but might I recommend instead of a tiered service, as you suggested, you might go to a per month additional fee? For example, if a user exceed 30 hours in a month, you might bring up an order screen that allows another 30 hours just for that month for some flat fee. I would expect usage to vary a lot from month to month for most folks until you start offering a lot more ongoing series than you do now.

Guide:
Can you change the color of the “upcoming” star? It doesn’t show up for me. I like the stars instead of the overall tint you had previously.

When watching a series in marathon mode (I just finished Full Metal Panic), it’s a minor nuisance to have to keep on clicking to get to the episode 22 icon, and then once you finish that episode have to start clicking all over again to get to the episode 23 icon, etc. Is there some easier way to either remember where you were, or have some easier way to get to the end of the episodes (also would be handy if you want to see the number of episodes before starting.)

Whew! I think that’s it for now - as I said, feel free to answer just some of these questions.

CrispyCritter

CrispyCritter wrote:

[quote]Now that I’m an official subscriber, I figure I might as well find out more about what I’m subscribing to! (I subscribed since I want to support this type of effort - and I’ve already seen a couple of series since subscribing :laugh: )

I don’t see a FAQ out yet, so I’m just going to list a bunch of questions I have, some of which are probably general enough for a future FAQ, but several aren’t. Feel free to just answer some of them.

Choice of shows:

Will VOD selection imply “Watch Online” (WO) selection in general? I realize that it all depends on licensing agreements, but will you in general be trying to get licenses for both as you go forward?[/quote]

Whew, lots of questions. :laugh: Welcome to the forums.

Only the ADV higher-ups would know this, but if the recent track-record is looked at, ADV/Anime Network is getting as much digital rights as they can. So hopefully yes.

Unknown at this point, an official answer may be coming in the next few weeks. Anime Network doesn’t want to pre-announce too early on something this big. But probably yes.

Unknown yet, but they have been looking into it.

For now yes, but that might change depending on programs they get in the future. Anime Network is constantly looking to provide more programs and to keep everyone happy.

I’m positive they’ve thought about this, but I’ll relay your view to them.

Anime Network and ADV are looking into everything as far as I know. As far as exact details, due to the nature of the business the public isn’t given specifics until they are ready to announce it. They are listening though! :slight_smile:

Physical shows:

[quote]Can you say anything how the shows are encoded? (Bit rate, audio type/rate)

Will you go back and improve encodings at some point, or are do you just want to concentrate on new additions for the time being?[/quote]

They haven’t given information out about this yet, but they are always looking into improvements.

I’ve asked this myself and I know it’s something they are thinking about. I have not gotten an official answer on it yet though.

This VOD/Online Player forum is the best place to get Anime Network support. I’ll be making a new collective thread for Online Player issues since this thread was mostly started for the new debut of the subscription system. But you can also create a new thread in the meantime, if you need/want.

Online Player:

The tech department may do that in the future since they know all about the backend capabilities, but right now is a very busy time - so I don’t know if there might be any sort of ETA on this. But as far as I’m aware there’s nothing beyond the simple of playing, stopping it, and Full screen and volume options.

I’ll forward this to the tech department to see if they have an official answer on this.

[quote]I see you are making things available through PSN, Does this include WO?

Are you looking for other distribution possibilities for WO? I’d love to see WO join all the other choices I can get through my TiVo.[/quote]

I’m not sure if I follow this, but as far as I am aware PSN is only Download To Own, rather than offering streaming services. This is from my user point of view though, beyond that AN/ADV generally don’t discuss future potential stuff. But I’ll certainly forward your request to the programming department.

Here. They are currently working on some backend stuff I believe. I’ve reported this problem to them earlier as I too was experiencing this problem.

[quote]Subscription:

I see at some point you said you might impose a limit on hours per month. I can understand that, but might I recommend instead of a tiered service, as you suggested, you might go to a per month additional fee? For example, if a user exceed 30 hours in a month, you might bring up an order screen that allows another 30 hours just for that month for some flat fee. I would expect usage to vary a lot from month to month for most folks until you start offering a lot more ongoing series than you do now.

Guide:
Can you change the color of the “upcoming” star? It doesn’t show up for me. I like the stars instead of the overall tint you had previously.

When watching a series in marathon mode (I just finished Full Metal Panic), it’s a minor nuisance to have to keep on clicking to get to the episode 22 icon, and then once you finish that episode have to start clicking all over again to get to the episode 23 icon, etc. Is there some easier way to either remember where you were, or have some easier way to get to the end of the episodes (also would be handy if you want to see the number of episodes before starting.)

Whew! I think that’s it for now - as I said, feel free to answer just some of these questions.

CrispyCritter[/quote]

I’ll forward your suggestions. :slight_smile:

Thanks a lot for your quick responses - I appreciate them (and appreciate the fact you can’t answer some of them). Following up on a couple of minor questions:

dragoon wrote:
CrispyCritter wrote:

Online Player:

The tech department may do that in the future since they know all about the backend capabilities, but right now is a very busy time - so I don’t know if there might be any sort of ETA on this. But as far as I’m aware there’s nothing beyond the simple of playing, stopping it, and Full screen and volume options.

Yes, it would be nice to get some sort of fast-forward and reverse (other than dragging the progress bar cursor that you can do now). Streambaby does this nicely in the TiVo environment, but I don’t know anything about the player here.

[quote]I see you are making things available through PSN, Does this include WO?

Are you looking for other distribution possibilities for WO? I’d love to see WO join all the other choices I can get through my TiVo.[/quote]

I’m not sure if I follow this, but as far as I am aware PSN is only Download To Own, rather than offering streaming services. This is from my user point of view though, beyond that AN/ADV generally don’t discuss future potential stuff. But I’ll certainly forward your request to the programming department.

Yes, I expected that was the case with PSN. TiVo might be a reasonable thing to look into for you, since they already offer subscription streaming for several providers - netflix and rhapsody music, for example. It’s been very nice watching netflix online anime on a 57" screen!

Thanks again for your answers, and for forwarding my suggestions.

CrispyCritter

Hmmm. I need to figure out some way to better set apart quoted material in this bb system. Strange things are happening when I mix quotes and color (or is it just nested quotes that don’t work?)

CrispyCritter wrote:

Since player capabilities have been asked, I have a few queries of my own along the lines of the above:

1.) What is the buffer length set to? JW player apparently goes by seconds, not milliseconds, as I understand it. I’m not expecting an answer on that, of course. Only reason I ask is to point out that on my slow 1.5mbps connection, I get a lot of hickups on higher-bandwidth-intensive videos like Divergence Eve (i.e. 5-15 seconds reversal in playback in order to provide the buffer to catch up).

2.) Is there any pre-playback buffering occurring? According to a cursory read through the JW player forums, auto pre-loading is currently a feature that was removed and hasn’t been added back in. My experience leads me to believe that buffering does not occur prior to playing the selected video and, more importantly, while the playing video is paused.

3.) Aside from the swirling-circle-percentage that occurs during playback, there is no active indication that displays what part of the stream has been pre-downloaded/buffered. Since I never can know this value, query #2 will always be a guessing game of “Am I really helping my playback by pausing and doing something else when playback problems are occurring?” This is actually the very first streaming software I have used that does not have anything of the sort easily visible, whether it be Revver, Joost, Hulu, Amazon Video-On-Demand, Netflix, and etc.

4.) Right-clicking on the JW player reveals a low quality video option. Selecting this, however, does not provide any visual or performance change. I assume this is a default player feature?

I’ll add that I really enjoy the video selection so this isn’t one long critique. :laugh:

Hello I see alot has changed. But I guess I’m having proccesing about how th online player is divide into 3 playings. Also if we are are registered when I watch I try to get full screen but it turns green with strips all againest my computer screen. ty. Annienut09:unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

problems with the subscription, first time i went through everything as soon as i hit “confirm payment” on the paypal, i got a double email from animenetwork saying that my order was cancelled but paypal already sent the money? after work tonight i tried it again as soon as i hit the confirm payment i got an email from animenetwork saying confirmed but when i come here it won’t let me watch anything still telling me to subscribe even tho i already paid…TWICE. i don’t see any sort of customer service to try to talk to some one.

Customer service is this forum or info (at) theanimenetwork (dot) com email.

Someone from Anime Network will look into your account and respond by or on tomorrow.

any news on fixing SD version of Appleseed?

wondering if anyone is looking into my account problem.like i said i paid twice and it still won’t le me view anything. problem is still happening today.

is the online player down or something – been trying to watch – get backers ep 4 – goes to a 404 error page – cant even get the registerd part to work atm just lags out.

Triv

Annienut: which version of flash are you running? (Right click on the player and it will show the version.)

Magnus610: I’ve fixed your account. Paypal was sending back strange results or taking too long causing our system to say the transaction failed.

Triviellion: Pretty URLs (e.g., http://www.theanimenetwork.com/Watch-Online/Appleseed) are barfing on titles with periods in them. I’ve disabled them temporarily. Please try again. You’ll want to navigate to the homepage (or refresh it), click the “Watch Online” tab, pick the show and then the episode.

TheProfosist: Not yet. I have a replacement copy of the file. It’s uploading right now.