AN Forums

Anime Network Online Player Reports/Problems/Updates Thread

OP Technical Issue Report

*** Give us a short summary of the problem you are experiencing with the Online Player.**
I’m watching both the Sub and Dub version of Kokoro Connect with the online player. It seems that the English dub version will always be cut off early. Usually it cuts off in the middle of the credits, which isn’t too much of a problem, but the cut off point seems to be starting to cut into the actual episode now. I’ve only watched the first 6 episodes, so I can’t speak for the rest of the series, but it seems to always cut off at 24:11(mm:ss). That’s usually the correct time for the Japanese dub, but NOT the English dub.
(On a separate issue, the scenes&opening sequence are different between the sub/dub versions, probably causing a time difference.(e.g. Kokoro Connect Episode 6.) If you play the dub/sub version side by side for episode 6, you can instantly tell that they don’t match up.)

*** Did this just start happening, has it been going on for a while or is it a problem that came back after being fixed?**
I just subscribed to TheAnimeNetwork.com today(October 27, 2013) to watch this series, so I couldn’t tell you if this issue has been a problem in the past.

*** Affected Show Title(s) - is it happening to a particular show, certain shows or everything**
I haven’t seen many shows on this website yet(since I just subscribed today(October 27, 2013)), but so far Kokoro Connect is the only show I’ve seen with this issue so far.

*** Affected Episode Number(s) - is it happening to a particular episode, certain episodes or all episodes**
It seems to effect episodes 1 and up. I’ve only watched up to episode 6 so far, but I assume this issue will persist for the next episodes as well.

*** Affected Language Version - if the show is Dual Language, is it the dubbed, dubbed or both versions that are affected**
I have only seen this issue occur with the English dubbed version so far.

*** Affected Video Format - is it the SD, HD or both versions that are affected**
This issue seems to effect both Standard and High Definition versions.

*** What Operating System are you using? Which version is it? (Windows Vista, Mac 10.4, etc)**
I’ve tried watching on Windows 7 & Chrome OS(Chromebook Acer C710)

*** What Browser are you using? Which version is it? (Chrome, Internet Explorer 7, FireFox 3.6, etc)**
Firefox 24.0 on Windows 7, Chrome 29.0.1547.74 on Chrome OS(Google Parrot.2685.37.0)

*** Is it happening in just one Browser or multiple browsers?**
The issue has happened in all browsers that I have tried.

*** Is your Flash Player/Plugin up to date?**
I’m not sure what the latest version of Flash is, but below are my version numbers:
I have Flash Player version 11.9.900.117 on Windows 7.
I have Flash Player version 11.8.800.170 on Chrome OS.

If you are having trouble with smooth video playback, tell us about your internet connection:
I’ve only had a minor hiccup with watching one of the episode in HD. It would consistently buffer every few seconds when viewing the episode in HD. I had to switch to SD for the episode. I think it just might be because of a spike in traffic on the server. (This happened around 1PM on October 27, 2013 UTC -06:00 Central Time)

*** What type of connection are you using? (Cable, DSL, WiFI, ect)**
Shared Fiber 100Mbps Synchronous

*** Run a speed test and post the download speed results - we recommend http://www.speedtest.net/**
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3059857386http://www.speedtest.net/result/3059857386.png

Ep. 13 of Rozen Maiden: Zurückspulen which was suppose to go live today, is currently errored on the greyed out Language Selection screen.

[quote=“compmaster” post=152452]OP Technical Issue Report

*** Give us a short summary of the problem you are experiencing with the Online Player.**
I’m watching both the Sub and Dub version of Kokoro Connect with the online player. It seems that the English dub version will always be cut off early. Usually it cuts off in the middle of the credits, which isn’t too much of a problem, but the cut off point seems to be starting to cut into the actual episode now. I’ve only watched the first 6 episodes, so I can’t speak for the rest of the series, but it seems to always cut off at 24:11(mm:ss). That’s usually the correct time for the Japanese dub, but NOT the English dub.
(On a separate issue, the scenes&opening sequence are different between the sub/dub versions, probably causing a time difference.(e.g. Kokoro Connect Episode 6.) If you play the dub/sub version side by side for episode 6, you can instantly tell that they don’t match up.)

[/quote]

compmaster,

Did anyone from ANO ever respond to your report, other than the “Thank You” flag from moisme?

[quote=“AlanMintaka” post=152971]

compmaster,

Did anyone from ANO ever respond to your report, other than the “Thank You” flag from moisme?[/quote]

Hey Alan,

We are aware and are working on getting the issue fixed :)!

We will keep you updated.

Thanks,

-Mo-

[quote=“moisme” post=153023]

Hey Alan,
Thanks,
-Mo-[/quote]

Thanks Mo.

You may want to examine Himawari Too (Season 2) as a test case for the erratic playback issues. The effect is very easy to see, especially at the beginning of episode one.

Hey Alan,
Thanks,
-Mo-[/quote]

Hi Mo,

Here’s another test case that may prove useful in debugging the erratic playback issues with HD streaming content.

Compare your HD playback of AKB0048 Episode 1 to Crunchyroll’s 1080p playback. Not only is Crunchyroll’s playback smooth and continuous - it looks and sounds a lot better. I wonder if what you mean by “HD” is really 1080p, based on the obvious difference in quality.

Here’s a link to the first episode page for Crunchyroll’s presentation of AKB0048:

Hope this info helps somehow.

[quote=“AlanMintaka” post=153111]
Compare your HD playback of AKB0048 Episode 1 to Crunchyroll’s 1080p playback. Not only is Crunchyroll’s playback smooth and continuous - it looks and sounds a lot better. I wonder if what you mean by “HD” is really 1080p, based on the obvious difference in quality. [/quote]

Generally speaking, the TAN HD stream is 720p.
Always has been, unless it’s one of the rare HQ streams like Divergence Eve which is 480p.

To this point, I don’t think TAN has ever had a 1080p stream, so yes, there is a quality difference between the 1080p CR stream, and the 720p TAN stream.

[quote=“The Coffee God” post=153115]
Generally speaking, the TAN HD stream is 720p.
Always has been, unless it’s one of the rare HQ streams like Divergence Eve which is 480p.

To this point, I don’t think TAN has ever had a 1080p stream, so yes, there is a quality difference between the 1080p CR stream, and the 720p TAN stream.[/quote]

That would explain the difference in quality.

Looks like I spoke to soon about CrunchyRoll’s 1080p playbacks too. There are now numerous video and audio pauses and dropouts, even more severe than what ANO is doing.

I thought that might indicate a common problem with my systems, even though the symptoms are a little different - ANO’s jerky playback is more frequent but of less duration, whereas Crunchyroll’s discontinuities are less frequent and can last several seconds.

Checking with CR’s forums revealed that a number of other subscribers are complaining about the same thing. CR’s response is basically the same as ANO’s (paraphrased): “we’re aware of the problem and are working to fix them.”

Meranwhile there have been a number of user suggestions in both forums, such as using Google’s Public DNS servers, keeping brower cache’s clean, using different browsers with different plug-ins, etc, etc, etc.

Looks like it’s ultimatum time again for the streaming services. I gave CR another week, until 11/11, to fix it. I’m going to play fair with ANO and run a few more tests before I make any decisions.

Thanks for the info about the 720p resolution. I had been getting 480p with TAN VOD, which I thought was too low, but at least the playback was consistent. 1080p (at CR) or 720p (here at ANO) is worthless if it looks like Howdy Doody on meth.

UPDATE: just finished verifying that episodes of Himawari Too and AKB0048 still stutter during playback in either SD or HD, regardless of browser. It’s more noticeable in video than audio, especially when compared to TAN VOD playbacks of the same episodes.

For lack of knowing what else to do, I changed my DNS servers to Google’s Public DNS servers. This didn’t fix the problem, but it did rule out Comcast’s DNS servers as the source of the problem.

So now ANO is on notice too. I’ll give them one week to fix this problem, until 11/11/2013. If it persists on that date, I’m not going to spend any more money on ANO.

compmaster,

Did anyone from ANO ever respond to your report, other than the “Thank You” flag from moisme?

Hey Alan,

Thanks,

-Mo-[/quote]

Hello,

It’s been about 2 weeks since the initial report. I was wondering what the status of this issue is.
I’ve checked an episode yesterday, however the issue is still present.
If any admins know of the status of this, please let me know.
(Also, if it’s not too much to ask, is there an ETA for the fix?)
Let me know. Thanks!

[quote=“compmaster” post=153777]
Hello,
It’s been about 2 weeks since the initial report. I was wondering what the status of this issue is.
I’ve checked an episode yesterday, however the issue is still present.
If any admins know of the status of this, please let me know.
(Also, if it’s not too much to ask, is there an ETA for the fix?)
Let me know. Thanks![/quote]

My own deadline is coming up later today. In my last post I gave ANO until 11/11 to fix the stuttering video and audio playback. I never did get an ETA from them.

Looks like I may be returning to “Guest” status soon.

Hey Compmaster,

We are still working on the issue. We appreciate your patience and apologize for not getting back to you sooner.
-Mo-

[quote=“moisme” post=153814]Hey Compmaster,

We are still working on the issue. We appreciate your patience and apologize for not getting back to you sooner.
-Mo-[/quote]

Hello Again,

I hate to keep bugging you with this, but the issue I reported back on October 27, 2013 is still not fixed. It has been about one month(~5 weeks and a few days :dry: ) since https://www.theanimenetwork.com/component/option,com_kunena/Itemid,183/catid,5/func,view/id,39967/limit,20/limitstart,1860/#152452.

I don’t see any progress on this issue as far as I can tell. I would like to get an update on what is going on with this!?? Something like this shouldn’t take this long to resolve, specially since someone has time to add more content to the site.

I’m not mad or anything, but I am trying to push this issue forward. I fear that if I do not make some noise, then nothing will get done.

Please let me know the status of this as well as a possible ETA! Thanks!

[quote=“compmaster” post=152452]OP Technical Issue Report

(On a separate issue, the scenes&opening sequence are different between the sub/dub versions, probably causing a time difference.(e.g. Kokoro Connect Episode 6.) If you play the dub/sub version side by side for episode 6, you can instantly tell that they don’t match up.)[/quote]

Some additional details, in case this is of any use.

Observations regarding Kokoro Connect end credits, Dubbed version, HD is off.
English Vocal Cast
Japanese Vocal Cast
Key Animation
Second Key Animation
Animation Check
Animation

1. Ends partway through Animation

2. Ends at end of Animation

3. BEEP = Jinbun

4. Color Setting & Finishing Check = Ryoko Oka

5. Finishing = Miyuki Kobata

6. BEEP = Studio Cosmo

7. Animation Chief = Miyuki Nakajima

8. Color Setting = Eri Shigetomi

9. Finishing Check = Manami Yamaguchi

10. Finishing = Miyuki Kobata, Asami Hirai, Shusaku Tanaka, Erika Tsukino, Shiho Mizumoto, Atsushi Shirasawa, Yuki Hayashi.

Things get worse starting with episode 5.

5-sub. At 22:28, ED music and Japanese credits overlay “Welcome back” scene. Episode ends at 23:32. Next episode title is displayed, then English credits start at 23:40 and run to 24:11.

5-dub. At 22:28, the “Welcome back” scene starts; no music until 22:53 with “Let’s dig in”. Episode ends at 23:32; that is when the ED and Japanese credits start. Video playback ends at 24:11, in the middle of the ED, before the English credits even start.

The English dub of episode 6 has two scenes that are not in the subtitled version.

6-sub. 00:00 Starts with voice over “Three weeks have passed”.
6-sub. 00:44 OP starts.
6-sub. 02:16-14:23 is “Here already?” to Heartseed leaving.
6-sub. Note: no fade to black to signify a scene change here.
6-sub. 14:24 “So it was Heartseed again” and apology.
6-sub. 21:47 Episode ends with Iori saying “I can’t screw up this time”.
6-sub. Scenes from next episode, different ED, Japanese credits.
6-sub 23:40-24:11 English credits.

6-dub. 00:00 Starts with Inaba at laptop, fixing Aoki’s submission.
6-dub. 01:34 OP starts.
6-dub. 03:03 Voice over “Three weeks have passed”.
6-dub. 03:48-15:59 is “Here already?” to Heartseed leaving.
6-dub. 16:00-16:46 Scene at restaurant, fade to black.
6-dub. 16:51 “So it was Heartseed again” and apology.
6-dub. 24:11 Video cuts off before last line. No ED, no credits.

-Joe

Good news: The dubbed episodes of Kokoro Connect all are 25:10 now, instead of 24:11.

All episodes except 05 and 06 have full credits.

Dubbed episode 05 now includes the full ED but ends a few seconds into the English credits.

Dubbed episode 06 now includes Iori’s last lines, name of next episode, scenes from next episode, but is missing half of the ED and all the credits. With its extra scenes, 25:10 is still not quite enough for 06.

-Joe

Subtitle error on Magical Warfare episode 03, at 16:59 on the online player.
“During her second year of middle school, she was the victim of a nasty [strike]stocker[/strike].” stalker.

Second occurrence of “stocker” at 19:35.

Log Horizon episode 21 has a major scripting and continuity error.

http://www.theanimenetwork.com/Anime/Log-Horizon/The-Two-of-Us-Shall-Waltz/Watch

[spoiler]I thought something was funny when I saw it on Crunchy, and it always struck me funny and only again today caught and noticed the problem, Then checked the ANO player and the same continuity error occurs.

as seen above on the ANO Hulu player @3:11 the battle against the goblins was a month ago.

Then as seen here @15:10 Crusty/Krusty comments on how the initial visit/arrival to Akihabara shown was only “yesterday”.

it is impossible for yesterday to occur prior to a month ago. I don’t know if someone copied and pasted the Crunchy subs to TAN’s online player, or if this is a forced by Japan script, or even is this is the script created for dubbing so the flaps match, but it is TERRIBLE continuity.

She had to arrive BEFORE the battle could take place, thus it had to be over a month ago in the second screenshot that she could have seen what he is describing.

I am not sure how the flaps matching will work for dubbing, but this should be changed in the second screenshot for its sub to be “before” or “earlier”, or something to that effect from “yesterday” to preserve continuity and not take a good show into slipshod territory.[/spoiler]

I can understand if someone translated from the Japanese script and didn’t pay attention to the continuity, but consumers often DO pay attention to it, and since I have been informed it will be a LONG ways off before this hits home video products, I wanted to make sure there was time to fix it well in advance of production.

There was one more thing off in the subs, but haven’t noticed it yet again, not checked the ANO player for it, so if/when found again will report the other one at that time.

thanks. :silly:

[quote=“8griever8” post=170311]http://imageshack.com/a/img822/2189/zt80.png

PC

Thanks[/quote]

I’m having this same problem while watching “From the New World” this gray bar appears at the bottom left of the screen with episode 5 title and address.

Those with the gray bar, what browser are you using?

Chrome

[quote=“Strategist0083” post=171499]

PC, Chrome

Thanks

I’m having this same problem while watching “From the New World” this gray bar appears at the bottom left of the screen with episode 5 title and address.[/quote]

I have seen this problem on other sites, when the YouTube player goes full-screen.
I’ve only seen in happen in Chrome. It appears to grab a URL from somewhere in the upper right quadrant of the page just before switching to full-screen.

-Joe