Anime Network Website Suggestions (pre-2015)

[quote=“celestial_being” post=108873]1) Please get all the Sentai/ADV extras on here. I’ve managed to track down the old releases of things like Milk-chan, Crisis 2040, and Gilgamesh to get those extras but despite my efforts I haven’t managed to track down some classics like the Madlax sock puppet theater. Buying old dvds doesn’t support Sentai :frowning: (BTW, why aren’t Gilgamesh and Madlax streamed here?)
[/quote]

Hey, there! I can answer a couple of these questions. Here we go:

One of the major reasons that a lot of the DVD extras aren’t shown on The Anime Network is licensing agreements! To stream a show, they must first get the licensing rights to stream that show. However! Extras are a totally different ballgame. To stream “extras,” (interviews, music videos, etc) they would have to be negotiated between the three companies (the japanese company, the american licensing company, and The Anime Network). Even though they’re related to the show, they’re considered a whole different identity. Also, even if relations are well, the original Japanese company can still say “Nope! DVD only!”

Which brings me to…

That’s why it’s an incentive to buy the DVD. It’s sort of like a “hey! Thanks so much for using your hard-earned money to purchase a legal copy of the series!” You might notice that in some of the interviews, they actually thank you for purchasing said DVD.

However, thanks for being supportive of the anime industry! It’s really great to see that you want to support both ADV and Sentai titles.

[size=4]
TL;DR Version:
Licensing Restrictions prevent a lot of the extras from being streamed online.
[/size]

We are currently working towards an Android app. At present, we do not have any dates for public release.

I do buy as many Sentai DVDs and blu rays as I can, I have shelves of them and most all of them have been signed by the legends of anime dubbing. Just because it’d pain me if it were thought that I were not a Sentai supporter. :wink:

I still think that the extras, the English extras as for the most part I don’t care much for the Japanese extras, should be streamed here. While I can, and have, bought as many of the old adv DVDs as I can find, there aren’t enough of those left for everyone who should see them to be able to, and buying old DVDs from the bargain bin doesn’t, Afaik, give money to Sentai.

For the Sentai releases which have extras (clannad, orphen) it is rather hard to get those extras onto my phones and tablets. I could rip them myself fro my physical copies, but I’d rather pay Sentai to do it for me and do it better. I still watch a fair bit of anime on my PC, but I find myself watching less and less there.

The problem if I remember correctly is even most of the English extra’s once made become property of the Japanese side. They’d have to still get the ok from them and the American side to use them online. I think the only extra’s that can’t be used by anyone else are the AD Vid-notes and the jiggle counter they did for some shows as ADV trademarked both of them. I know everyone is very busy at The Anime Network so while it may be possible they may not have time to get it done anytime soon.

I understand, this is just the suggestion of an avid adv fanboy. I understand extras being put on the back burner as they (sadly) didn’t seem that popular to begin with. Sentai still has more pressing issues as it continues to rise, and extras aren’t particularly pressing. Though I have hope that they’ll come online and come back to physical releases some day; the clannad commentary was a teaser and combined with the slew of J-extras on Infinite Stratos I am lead to believe that Sentai is almost back to where regular extras could be a real possibility (Even though Matt greenfield did tell me that there was a snow ball’s chance of them returning ).

White background giving me a headache. Change Please.

? Don’t you have the powah to change that? White does use more power on my phone but I don’t know how long it’d take me to get used to white on a black bg instead of the more traditional reverse.

And here I thought I was the only one that thought it was too insanely bright.
All white is just not a viable background option.

[quote=“celestial_being” post=108971]

? Don’t you have the powah to change that? White does use more power on my phone but I don’t know how long it’d take me to get used to white on a black bg instead of the more traditional reverse.[/quote]

Not me I’m just a Mod. 3 of us mods are just users with a little more power. We have no say really. Though I can complain with the best of them.lol

“We’re going to make everything metal. Blacker than the blackest of black…Times Infinity!!”
(Darker than Black was a good show, it needs a real sequel. B) )

Somehow I’m missing the brightness that you guys are talking about. Maybe it’s because I’m primarily viewing this site on my phone (and posting from a phone sucks), but on that black backgrounds do save power on modern screens. White is the Japanese color of death… :wink:

THIS WHITE SUCKS, MAKES MY EYES HURT… WHERE IS COLOR???

You know, I like the free advertising, I might actually check some of this stuff out, but seriously though, can you use a different background color other than white?

This shit is blinding.

[quote=“shankajew” post=108993]You know, I like the free advertising, I might actually check some of this stuff out, but seriously though, can you use a different background color other than white?

This shit is blinding.[/quote]

What free advertising?

[quote=“celestial_being” post=108995]

[quote=“shankajew” post=108993]You know, I like the free advertising, I might actually check some of this stuff out, but seriously though, can you use a different background color other than white?

This shit is blinding.[/quote]

What free advertising?[/quote]

From a computer the site has sides that has the ads with dates for new shows coming. The ones up now are InuxBoku to the left and Listen To Me, Girls. I am your father! to the right. I don’t believe they show up on any mobile device. Behind them is nothing but white so it’s white apon white apon white. Probably not be that bad on say a laptop with a smaller screen but on a desktop to us that are here most of the day and/or night it burns like the staring into the sun.

So the banners are gone but we are stuck with these stupid blinding white sides?

I still see the vertical banners. Granted, the extra white is annoying when the browser is fullscreen (1920x1080), but are not too bad when resized to take up only half of the screen, left-to-right (960x1080).

-Joe

Well the top banners are back now.

Still lots of white, which for whatever reason does not bother me as much as it obviously does others.

Mark Gosdin

And the Banners have disappeared again.

Still working out the kinks, eh?

Mark Gosdin

[quote=“mgosdin” post=109997]And the Banners have disappeared again.

Still working out the kinks, eh?

Mark Gosdin[/quote]

Right now, viewing via my phone, I see no top banner and a side banner for listen to me girls, I’m your father.

I still see the side banner “Ads” for the TAN Series, those have always displayed since the upgrade, but the upper “Fan” banners are missing as of 7:30 AM EST 3/14/2012.

Mark Gosdin