Anime Network Website Suggestions (pre-2015)

Is it possible for the notification icons/buttons to be added to our upper blue status bar? There are times that I miss a notification since I am not viewing my profile at the time. In my opinion, it only makes simple sense. Please highly consider this simple add-on.
:slight_smile:

Notifications already show up on the blue bar as Messages (at least for me), so Iā€™m not quite sure of your meaning.

Ex:
1 Message could either be an actual Message or a Friend Add.

[quote=ā€œTheCoffeeGodā€ post=151326]Notifications already show up on the blue bar as Messages (at least for me), so Iā€™m not quite sure of your meaning.

Ex:
1 Message could either be an actual Message or a Friend Add.[/quote]

Sometimes someone may reply to something within your actual profile. May it be a comment, conversation thread, or group notification (though, I donā€™t waste my time in groups) nothing shows within that main bar at the top of the screen. For some reason those things are excluded within the ā€˜Messagesā€™ notification.

The only way to know is to view your profile page. Private messages and friend requests show at the top like you said, however everything else falls under the ā€˜Global Notificationsā€™ bell icon on your profile page. It is a small deal, however it just seems more polished to me if that were visibly available regardless of what page we are viewing.

[quote=ā€œLumisā€]
Sometimes someone may reply to something within your actual profile. May it be a comment, conversation thread, or group notification (though, I donā€™t waste my time in groups) nothing shows within that main bar at the top of the screen. For some reason those things are excluded within the ā€˜Messagesā€™ notification.

The only way to know is to view your profile page. Private messages and friend requests show at the top like you said, however everything else falls under the ā€˜Global Notificationsā€™ bell icon on your profile page. It is a small deal, however it just seems more polished to me if that were visibly available regardless of what page we are viewing.
:)[/quote]

Ahh, gotcha, that makes more sense now.
I have all of my notifications turned off, so I never get those ā€˜Global Notificationsā€™.

Iā€™m a premium subscriber and i keep hearing the advertisements (which i have to keep muting) during watching dubbed anime series on here and I just had an advertisement pop up and wouldnā€™t let me click out of it for 20 seconds while watching Battle Girls: Time Paradox. It would be nice if there was no advertisements like these when you are a payed subscriberā€¦

I always wondered what was the storage limit that you could upload in the picture albums here within your TAN account. And, why is there not a built-in option to be able to link out to the TAN forums and only the TAN forums? It is a shame that we have to use some third party site to share images within the forums here when we already have the ability to store them here on site already.

There are reasons that I understand why it wouldnā€™t want to be made into a traditional image hosting system. However, is there any way that the images uploaded into albums here can be only shared within the TAN forums? I am sure that there is some form of custom code that can be tweaked so that we could maybe be able to do that.

If this could be considered for a future site update, it would be simply awesome and would be much appreciated. I am not sure what the current storage limit is here per account though. Who knows, maybe premium TAN subscribers could have an added bonus regarding that maybe. All I know is that I am tired of dealing with glitchy third party image hosting sites to post things here.

I second that recommendation.

As a workaround, I end up using Firefox to look at a particular picture in an album, Right-Click, View Page Info. Then on the Media tab, click on a line for an Image and use Down-Arrow until the picture shows up. (TAN **/images/photos/**nnnn/nn/.jpg)

[quote=ā€œSpaceCobraJoeā€]

I second that recommendation.

As a workaround, I end up using Firefox to look at a particular picture in an album, Right-Click, View Page Info. Then on the Media tab, click on a line for an Image and use Down-Arrow until the picture shows up. (TAN **/images/photos/**nnnn/nn/*.jpg)

[/quote]

Wow is that picture tiny.

I didnā€™t even know that we could upload images here, besides avatars. Iā€™ve just been Imgur-ing the few that Iā€™ve used.

Related Post Reference:
https://www.theanimenetwork.com/component/option,com_kunena/Itemid,183/catid,18/func,view/id,41805/limit,20/limitstart,140/#158893

I wanted to go ahead and give note to this that I have a little tweak update regarding this suggestion. I decided to carry that over to the Community Tech Support thread though since it seems more relevant there. Click and follow the link there to read moreā€¦

https://www.theanimenetwork.com/component/option,com_kunena/Itemid,183/catid,5/func,view/id,91633/limit,20/limitstart,640/#164729

Would like a favorites or some kind of bookmark. Ok I am new so if there is one I have not found it also why are some of the older anime only sub? like To Love Ru ? Although I saw where Samurai Bride is coming soon. and some of the script is messed up on the shows page if no one has mentioned it would be cool to have thumbnails for the shows or a description with the show titles on that page. I subscribed because of Ninja Scroll and High School of the Dead Which is my Favorite!! :slight_smile: any way thank you for your time people have probably already made these sort of suggestions I just donā€™t have time to read through all posts or maybe Iā€™m lazy :slight_smile: :whistle:

For old titles, it is often the case where theyā€™re not sure the title will sell enough to be worth the time and expense of creating a dub.

For some of the new titles, they are being simulcast, where we get to see new episodes within weeks of them being shown in Japan. For them, there is not enough time to get them dubbed; we get the broadcast (censored) version with subtitles. Later on, Sentai Filmworks gets the DVD (uncensored) version, and that gets dubbed.

Could you provide more details?

Note that there are two pages that list all the shows: Watch Online (with thumbnails) and A to Z Index (without). Each show has two main pages: Samurai Bride Info with thumbnails + description for each episode, and the Watch Samurai Bride.

-Joe

P.S. The ā€œbookmarkā€ functionality does not work here on TAN. (I heard that Crunchyroll has a patent on it.)

I have another future site suggestion to propose. There are times that I will go back and dig for something pages upon pages deep in a thread. I may have to do this since the search feature is not always useful for finding certain things (Example: Like with pictures that another poster uploaded and posted here.) However when trying to go back several pages, it can be a little cumbersome when you can first only skip 5 pages back and then only 2 at a time after that.

It would be nice to have a small text field near the page number links where you can key in a particular page number to skip to. I have seen this feature before on other sites, though that does depend on the forum software used. Of course you may not know the exact page that the item you are looking for is on, but at least this would give you an easy ability to skip back several pages in a thread. Just a little thought to consider for the futureā€¦ thank you.

I think thatā€™s a great idea! I agree that the search function doesnā€™t always work in some cases for finding things. It would be nice to just jump to a certain page number when looking for something.

I would like it if I could pay for a subscription through paypal, or Amex. That is how I pay for Crunchyroll and Funimation. It would only make sense if I could do it here too.

Also I do have debit cards, do you take any of them?

To my knowledge, you can use normal debit cards. As I do, you can also use prepaid Visa and/or MasterCard Debit Gift Cards here as well as long as there are adequate funds on the card for your subscription. You will have to make sure to register those though with the same contact info that you supply here when subscribing for confirmation.

I hope this helps a little bit, and please feel free to post in the link that I am supplying you instead so that an Anime Network administrator can better help youā€¦

Thank you, I will try my debit cards then.

I have an ideaā€¦how about a radio player for anime music? We could listen to music from our favorite shows while post on these threads.

That would be cool, and I hear you. The problem is that the Japanese record labels still hold an ironclad grip to the rights to the full versions of the songs that are featured within our favorite anime. Itā€™s too bad since a lot of the songs are written specifically for the series in some cases.

The labels are starting to bring more and more J-pop/J-rock music videos to YouTube though. I remember just a couple years back that I couldnā€™t find a video there without it getting taken down due to copyright infringement by the uploader. They finally figured out that people wanted to see and hear their favorite Japanese artists. Itā€™s slow but the official content is starting to grow more.

Heck, try going to Last.fm and enter in some Japanese artists you like. They seem to have more foreign artists than Pandora from what I have noticed. I have some stuff that I have started of my own both there and on Pandora. You can tailor your own radio station in a way if thatā€™s what you want. Hey, just a friendly suggestion.

There is a radio station that isnā€™t connected to this site, but I listen to it when Iā€™m here - 91.8 The Fan -

Did you know about this one, Lumis? I thought you did, but if not, I think youā€™d enjoy it as well.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will try it.