Chrono Crusade / Chrno Crusade

To make up for my transgressions, I present some pics:

[details=Pics]

[/details]

And one more:

spoiler

http://i811.photobucket.com/albums/zz40/dragonsky1/039.jpg

[quote=dragonrider_cody]
I apparently had a supreme brain fart! My apologies Wicca for getting a day ahead! Sorryā€¦[/quote]

:lol:
Itā€™s ok. Really. I almost did the same thing myself!

And the pictures are lovely. Thanks for sharing!

Episode 17 ā€“

[details=spoiler]I feel really bad for Satella. Aion really messed with her.

More stigmata appear on Rosette. The crown of thorns this time and now everyone knows. I didnā€™t think sheā€™d be able to keep it a secret forever. And Rosetteā€™s wounds remind Chrono of the girl in his past. She had the same wounds.

I almost thought they found Joshua, but it was a trap. Viede and Genai seem to be of a higher order of devils since the regular barrier canā€™t hold them. That was a very exciting fight!

Strange that Duffau gave Chrono his sword to fight with, but didnā€™t want him to take his true form. And Chrono is also known as the ā€œKiller of 100 Millionā€. A stronger barrier is put up, but this one affects the allies as well. It was very dramatic and Carv killed Viede, sacrificing his own life. I was really starting to like his character.[/details]

Episode 18 -

[details=spoiler]I really liked this episode, but I still think the Christmas one is my favorite. Azmaria tried to do something nice and they were all mean to her at first, but Iā€™m glad she stood her ground. They all need a day off from their worries.

Aion is up to no good again, but it looks like things are coming to a head since he told Shader to release the apostles. And Joshua is going with him this time too.

I thought it was funny that Rosette is such a good shot and yet canā€™t use a toy gun. Even funnier that she got frustrated enough to pull her real guns. It looked like Satella was getting seasick on the carousel too.

Chrono and Rosette trying to dance really made me laugh. Even more when they started to ā€œfightā€ dance and it turned into a real dance. It was sweet to see Azmaria dance with Steiner too.

It was great that Satella finally gave into her feelings for everyone and even sees a budding romance between Rosette and Chrono. Nice too that she got her powers back.

It was only a flash, but there was a clearer picture of the girl from Chronoā€™s past. Chrono vows to die with Rosette. Sheā€™s made such an impact on his life. It was kind of bittersweet when he said that he wouldnā€™t let her die. Her life is already shortened and you can just see it in her eyes. I teared up again over this moment.

And Aionā€™s bird brings her to Joshua![/details]

Episode 19 ā€“

[details=spoiler]Itā€™s so sad that Joshua doesnā€™t know her. Sad too that Rosette sees that he still suffers and that he treats the maid as his sister ā€“ and for him to look at Rosette with such hate! It must be killing her.

I canā€™t believe that they killed Steiner like that. I felt horrible for Azmaria.

That is some sword that Aion uses. Duffau mentions ā€œAtonement Ceremonyā€. Joshua shoots Chrono with Rosetteā€™s own gun. There was just so much blood. The ceremony was something else and the music for it was perfect.

I donā€™t know how Rosette had the presence of mind to attack Pandemoniumā€™s head, but Aion smiled like he wanted that to happen, especially when the power takes Rosette.

Satella sees that the maid is also a jewel summoner and calls her ā€œsisterā€ ā€“ this is her real sister? Shader says that they have ā€œAscensionā€ and Aion says that the real purpose of doing all this was to awaken Rosette. He calls her Mary of Magdalene and sheā€™s also an apostle! I was not expecting that!

Chrono is so tied to Rosette that he can ā€œfeelā€ her crying and Iā€™m amazed that he can get up. And Rosette opens the clock against his wishes too, but Iā€™m also kind of glad she did.

Where did Remington come from? He was just in NY, wasnā€™t he?[/details]

Episode 20 -

[details=spoiler]Aion gives his sword to Joshua to fight Chrono. But I can see that Chrono really doesnā€™t want to fight Joshua ā€“ he just wants to get to Rosette. Itā€™s another exciting fight as Aion takes Rosette away and Satella and Remington can do nothing about it either. And it sure took Duffau long enough to show up!

Chrono tries once again to get to Rosette, but Joshua plunges the sword into his back. And he does it again when Chrono is on the ground, helpless. Chrono freezes, but he manages to break the horns off of Joshua ā€“ a very good thing! But I had to cry again when his last thought was of Rosette, telling her to live.

Satella calls the maid ā€œbig sisterā€ so I guess this is the sister sheā€™s been searching for, but why did Aion have her?

Duffau finally defeats Genai and Remington gets Shader, but she calls him ā€œangelā€ just before she disintegrates. And later, Remington tells Sister Kate that he is ā€œnot unlike an angelā€. Incredible!

I thought Rosette destroyed the head of Pandemonium, but I see it still exists. And itā€™s really sad that Azmaria feels responsible for Chrono. Interesting too that Aion broke off his own horns in the past.

Rosette is still trying to fight Aion, but it looks like sheā€™s finally given in to him. And when the spirit of Mary came to Chrono, I thought she was going to heal him. I hope she does.

Extras ā€“

In Azmariaā€™s class, there was a bit of a spoiler in saying that the girl from Chronoā€™s past is also Mary of Magdalene, but the background history was nice.

Excellent episodes. There was a lot here that I wasnā€™t expecting. The story continues to grow and it is getting very dark now. Iā€™m getting really sad to think that this wonderful anime is almost over.[/details]

So, I just finished up the final four episodes. I thought maybe after seeing this four or five times, it wouldnā€™t affect me as much. I was wrong. I still ended up crying.

[details=spoiler]One of these final episodes in entitled ā€œGoodbyeā€, and itā€™s perfectly suited. This is the episode where Satella has her final battle with Fiore/Florette. She initially holds back, not wanting to harm her sister, even if she canā€™t remember her. This leaves her mortally wounded.

Florette comes up to her and asks Satella if she wants her to finish this. As she sees her sister crying on the ground in a pool of her own blood, memories start to come back to her. As she leans in. Satella raps her arms around, and says if she canā€™t have her sister back, she will have them die together. She activates a crystal in her hand, and drives a spear through both of them, killing Florette.

Chrono and Azmaria find Satella as she lays dying. Realizing there is nothing they can do, they simply grant her last wish. Azmaria sings to her as she passes away.

Aion does his best to tear Rosette and Chrono apart. He corrupted her into thinking she was doing the work of God, when in fact, she was only doing his bidding. It was heart breaking to see Rosette and Chrono on opposite sides.

But God must have been watching, because just as Rosette was about to kill Chrono, he delivered to her the final stigmata. The stab to her side, as though with the spear that killed Jesus, snapped her out of her state and brought her back to her normal self.

Seeing that Aion is about to kill Chrono and fulfill his plans of world destruction, Rosette breaks open her seal to unleash Chronoā€™s power. He initially tries to convince her not to do so, but she tells him that he must do it. She would give up everything she has, including her life, if it meant saving the lives of others.

The actual battle between Aion and Chrono is extremely short. They each only inflict a few blows, but Chrono comes out on top, destroying Aion. Though he is left badly injured from the wounds, and unable to heal, without draining Rosetteā€™s life entirely.

Though this part is not shown, it is clear that Rosette and Chrono use Aionā€™s horns to reawaken her friends from the orphanage. They are shown later playing in the countryside in Michigan. Azmaria apparently traveled there to help them get settled, though the children are still unaware that four years have passed.

The moments with Rosette and Chrono together are some of the most bittersweet and beautiful in anime. Itā€™s probably one of the most well handled endings of this type ever.

We find Rosette and Chrono living together in an abandoned farm house, just like the one she had said she had wanted to live in someday. Rosette is simply swinging on the front porch, and is joined by Chrono. They sit and watch the sunset together. Not only is it setting on the world, but on their lives together.

As the sun goes down, Rosette says she is thinking of breaking the seal open, so Chrono would be able to heal the wounds that are slowly killing him. He tells her no, as he would rather go on to the next life with her, rather than live in world without her.

In one particularly heart breaking moment, Rosette breaks down into tears and admits she is afraid. ā€œI donā€™t want to die yet. I just want to live a little longer.ā€ Hillary Haagā€™s performance in these final episodes is nothing short of magnificent, and is no more so than in these two short lines. You can tell there are real tears in both hers and Gregā€™s recording booths.

They hold each other as their lives slip away, and slowly Rosettes clock winds down and stops. In this moment, I felt as though my heart was stopping as well. I actually had to take several deep breaths to make sure it was still beating.

Shortly after their deaths, the order finds Rosette and Chrono. Azmaria and the younger sisters from the orders are the ones who first see them. Azmariaā€™s break down at that moment was one of the most painful things Iā€™ve ever had to watch in anime, though it only lasts a few moments. As she nearly falls over crying, she looks into the kitchen and sees some of the happy moments Rosette and Chrono spent together during their last months on Earth.

A few more loose ends are wrapped up after this moment, but to me, this is the true end of the series. We learn more about the prophecies of Fatima, and a little more about Father Remington. We even get a very sweet moment where Siste Kate breaks down on the phone and says Rosette was one of the most pure souls she had ever met.

We also get a scene where Azmaria later visits Rosetteā€™s grave. She asks her and Chrono to watch over her, and assures them she will become stronger. This is probably one of the shocking moments for me in the series, as it reveals that Rosette was only 16 at the time of her death. Despite her young age, she acted with more courage, conviction and selflessness that people twice her age.[/details]

As the show ends, we get a very simple goodbye. The screen simply goes black as the end theme, ā€œSayonara Solitaireā€ plays, though it is slightly lengthened. The title ā€œChrno Crusadeā€ pops up on the screen, followed by the end credits. As the credits end, we see the picture of our four heroes from the fair slowly fade from black and white to color. The words ā€œThe Endā€ then appear in the bottom corner. A perfect ending to a great show.

Chrono Crusade probably affects me more emotionally than any series, anime or not, that Iā€™ve ever watched. Through the course of 26 episodes, I grew to love these characters, to mourn for the tragedies of their lives, and to laugh with them during their few happy moments. No other series has been so able to have me laughing one episode and crying the next. There are also very few series that have as good, or as final an ending. Itā€™s hard for me to imagine any series being able to dislodge this one from the top of my favorites list.

Wicca,

If and when you come back, I will post a little about the differences between the anime and the manga, particularly the ending. Though I admit I prefer the ending of the anime just a bit more, the one in the manga is also quite beautiful.

[quote=dragonrider_cody]
Wicca,

If and when you come back, I will post a little about the differences between the anime and the manga, particularly the ending. Though I admit I prefer the ending of the anime just a bit more, the one in the manga is also quite beautiful.[/quote]

Tell me! Tell me!

Episode 21 ā€“

[details=spoiler]Satella experiences the same shock Rosette did when her sister doesnā€™t recognize her either. But Joshua seems better, since he doesnā€™t know Florette and asks for his sister. However it is learned later that he has lost all of his memory.

Poor Azmaria is suffering from such despair! She is much too young to be having these feelings.

And Duffau does seem to have his own agenda after all. Aion is even more powerful with Rosette and all of the allied devils have been destroyed.

More great background on Chrono. This time the story is about Mary and Remington is there too. This was a beautiful story and caused more tears. But Iā€™m so happy that Chrono is back to normal now. I know how badly he wants to save Rosette.[/details]

Episode 22 ā€“

[details=spoiler]Satella tried so hard to get Florette to remember her and it was really sad to see that she still considered herself to be Fiore. Sadder still is that she is only a doll that Aion made. Finally got the rest of her story too.

It must have killed Chrono to see Rosette with Aion. She is so much under his influence that she doesnā€™t even know Chrono. And when he grabbed her hand, her blood burned him. Then Aion incites the crowd to go after him. I felt so bad ā€“ he was so close to Rosette and just couldnā€™t reach her.

Fiore fatally wounds Satella, but I wasnā€™t expecting Satella to kill her. But it did make sense. Chrono and Azmaria find the dying Satella and she tells Chrono to rescue Rosette before asking Azmaria to sing for her. She dies during the song. Very emotional. [/details]

Episode 23 -

[details=spoiler]I canā€™t believe that Aion has affected Rosette so much that she wants to end her contract with Chrono. And Aion really plays with Chronoā€™s mind. Because of that, he feels responsible for everything thatā€™s happened.

Azmaria gets the photo that was taken at the carnival. And the story shifts back to NY. Iā€™m glad Azmaria was able to talk some sense into Chrono. Now he is more determined to get Rosette back.

The next part was very exciting. I canā€™t believe that Rosette was willing to shoot Chrono. I really hate Aion. Chrono offers himself to Rosette, but throws his horns at Aion, turning him to stone. I was really happy about that, and it seemed to free Rosette, but the final stigmata showed up ā€“ the wound in the side.

But I guess since Aion had his own horns, he was able to revive himself and spears Chrono with one. It looks as if Chrono will die and Rosette makes a choice to give him the rest of her life. Chrono kills Aion, but at what cost?[/details]

Episode 24 -

[details=spoiler]Seventh Bell Orphanage is back to normal and Sister Kate and Azmaria visit. Rosette and Chrono still havenā€™t been found. Remington takes the Elder to Maryā€™s tomb and they find evidence that Rosette and Chrono were there, as well as finding Aionā€™s horns ā€“ that was how the orphanage was healed.

Sad that Remington lost his faith and is no longer an angel. He severed his ties with God and now calls himself a sinner. And he takes care of Joshua now too. Poor Joshua. He still doesnā€™t have his memory, but is writing a story that is very similar to his childhood with Chrono and Rosette.

Chrono and Rosette are staying at an abandoned farmhouse. They sit on the porch swing and Rosette knows her time is near. She dies with the sunset and I am so happy that Chrono was with her and could die with her. Itā€™s a wonderful scene. The order finally finds them and Azmaria takes their deaths badly. However, Azmaria can see how their final days were and I think this brought her some comfort.

As the world heads towards WWII, itā€™s nice to see that Sister Kate has the carnival photo on her desk. Azmaria is now a sister. Iā€™m glad she got her wish and is like Rosette. She visits the grave and puts flowers on it. She has the life clock too, to remember her friends by.

Many years later, the immortal Remington is in Rome at the Vatican, still trying to atone for his sins. He sees Aion in the crowd and hears a gunshot, which brings the third prophecy of Fatima into reality.

It was nice to see the carnival photo again after the credits. This was one of the most original shows and I love it very much. Even if I did cry through most of the last episodes! The characters are just that powerful and the acting is just that good. Itā€™s a truly beautiful story and was worth every laugh and every tear. Thank you for sharing this with me Cody![/details]

Wow, itā€™s been two weeks! I really had planned on posting some more hereā€¦ Oh well, here are some AMVā€™s from Chrono.

[size=16]Spoiler Warning! These do have clips from the ending![/size]

Pretty sure I posted this one before, but here it is again:

Since youā€™re posting AMVs, Iā€™ve been wanting to post this for awhile now since itā€™s one of my favorite songs.

Very nice find Coffee! The action type AMVā€™s from Chrono arenā€™t always as easy to find as the slower, sadder ones.

Hereā€™s another I like:

Since I had promised to post on this, there are some significant differences between the anime and magna. Some of the most interesting concern Satella.

[details=spoiler] In the magna, while she is quite hateful towards Chrono in the beginning, she grows to care for him more quickly than in the anime. Also, she even flirts with him and teases him at times. Though whether she is actually attracted to him, or whether she is just trying to make Rosette angry is never really explained.

Also, the ending of the series is handled quite differently than the magna, in particular in regards to Satellaā€™s character. In the manga, she doesnā€™t die. She gets turned to stone by Aionā€™s power and is knocked into the San Francisco Bay. Many decades later, her statue washes ashore, and somehow she is restored to life. Azmaria is still alive at that time and she makes arrangements to meet her, unfortunately by then, Az has already passed away from old age. There is a remarkably beautiful and sad image of Satella crying as she watches a video Azmaria left her, explaining what happened after she left them.

[/details]

Towards the end, the manga also gets a bit of a sci-fi slant. It is explained that instead of [details=spoiler]true demons, Chrono and his kind actually crashed to Earth. In some ways, itā€™s even implied that they could be some kind of extraterrestrial creature. Though this isnā€™t explained in any great detail.[/details]

The ending with Rosette and Chrono is also quite different, in both story and tone. Though I have to admit I prefer the anime ending more.[details=spoiler] In the magna, though the end battle between Aion and Chrono is not shown in any detail, it is much longer than in the anime. In fact, Chrono disappears for several years during the battle.

Rosetter waits patiently for his return, as her health grows worse and worse. Apparently, there are many times where she doubts she will make it. But one day, as she has a horrible coughing fit and believes her life is finally ending, the doors to the chapel swing open. Chrono is standing there. The final image in the manga is Rosette running towards Chrono and embracing him.

During the video that Azmaria leaves Satella, she explains that Rosette died peacefully in her sleep a few months after Chrono returned. They were at least able to spend her last few months together. Interestingly enough, in the manga Rosette actually lives to be a bit older. She is actually 24 when she finally passes away, not 16 as in the magna. That aspect I do like a little more. Rosette was amazing, and she deserved a few more years of life, even if she spent them waiting for her love.

There is also a scene where Satella visits the grave of Rosette on the anniversary of her death. She brings flowers, but there are already a set of flowers on the grave, indicating someone had just visited (most likely Chrono.)[/details]

This is the part where I think I prefer the anime ending. I just thought it was more beautifully handled. [details=spoiler]Even though Rosette died at a much younger age, her and Chrono died together. There was something quite poetic about that, and I just loved it more.[/details]

Needless to say, the ending to the manga still had me crying as wellā€¦lol

This is a really amazing manga series and one that I highly recommend. Daisuke Moriyama created some great characters here and they are just as loveable in their printed form. The late Amy Forsythe also did an incredible job in the books translation. Sadly, itā€™s out of print now, as are all other ADV magna. But Amazon and some other retailers still have it in stock:

Chrono Crusade @ Amazon.com

All of the AMVs were great.

I see what you mean about the manga, Cody. I think I shall have to read it someday, but I already like the anime ending better as well.

I like that Rosette and Chrono died together. I canā€™t imagine Chrono living without her.

[size=16]Funimation Adds Chrono Crusade[/size]
posted on 2010-06-25 19:20 EDT
Gonzo anime title formerly licensed by ADV Films

Started watching the series again, forgot how much I liked it.

According to ANN, this will start playing on SyFy next month.
SyFy to start Chrono Crusade in February
Slick

Nice to see it getting more exposure.

Itā€™s good to see this getting another TV run in the US, especially since the first one was more limited on Showtime. Though I have to wonder what kind of deal Funimation struck with Starz to get it on the block.

Since I had four DVD sets of this, I doubt I wil be watching it though. Plus, it wonā€™t seem right follow by the Funimation logo.

I hope this means Funi has made a deal with Starz

Soukou no Strain and Moonlight Mile really deserve to be on Sci-Fi more though.

SyFy is NBC/Universal (I refuse to acknowledge the Comcraā€¦ er, Comcast takeover) while Starz is Liberty Media, Dr. John Maloneā€™s company.

Yes but Gurren Lagann is now put on the internet by Manga Entertainment which is owned by Starz. That is how TTGL got to be on Ani-Monday.

Yes, the Ani-Monday/Tuesday block is actualy programmed by Starz. SyFy purchases the block from them. So far all the shows that have been on it were done so with the requirement that Starz be given the TV and digital rights. Thatā€™s why Descendents of Darkness and others are available on iTunes from Manga. Thatā€™s why I was curious what sort of deal Funi came to.