AN Forums

Computers & Technology

I’m not surprised about the congressman ignoring calls from non-PA numbers, they’ve been inundated by calls due to efforts by various organizations in the past which asked people to call specific members regardless of where the caller lived.

We do have competition here in Osceola County for High Speed Internet, Comcast, Spectrum, AT&T & Centurylink. There are others in different parts of the metro area as well.

The problem is the same that has always been. The fixed cost of the infrastructure, burying lines in the ground. We had one of the small providers here up until about 5 years ago, they were replaced by what became Spectrum. The entire subdivision was re-cabled. That had to have cost a pretty penny.

Mark Gosdin

He’s gone beyond just ignoring out of state numbers. His office has also been ignoring numbers from certain geographic areas of the state. For instance, if you have certain numbers in the 412 exchange (Pittsburgh and Allegheny County) you are getting ignored, yelled at, or hung up on. He’s even cancelled town halls at the last minute, and refused calls from other local politicians.

He has failed to show for two meetings with county officials here. He not only didn’t cancel ahead of time, but he didn’t return their calls for nearly two weeks trying to reschedule. He didn’t even apologizing for not showing up. He was even a no-show at a local groundbreaking ceremony, as well as a ceremony honoring surviving WWII veterans.

And I’m well aware that infrastructure costs money, which is just one of the many reasons that do much of the country has no competition for ISP’s. Smaller communities simply don’t have the financial incientive for companies to invest. Not to mention, cable companies often got municipalities to sign exclusivity agreements that blocked approvals for other competitors.

My previous residence had two service providers, a local extremely overpriced cable company (Armstrong) with a 300GB cap, or a less expensive but much slower service with a considerably higher 750GB cap. So you were kind of screwed either way. When you don’t have a cable box and stream everything, you hit 300 GB very quickly and they would shut down your service when you hit 90%. You would need to call in and agree to overage charges before they would reactivate it. Of course, if you hit that 90% at 1am, you would have to wait till 9am when their billing office opened.

Good times. Good times.

Sounds like the congressman is missing a few too many screws. I’ve seen it before. Sigh.

One of the possible alternatives for High Speed internet is one of the wireless services. We had one out in the country in Oklahoma, it worked fairly well but didn’t survive after the local phone company put in DSL. We lived 1/4 mile off a dirt road, some 10 miles from the nearest town and had high speed fiber optic based internet. It was faster than what could be gotten in Tulsa at the time.

Mark Gosdin

There are a lot of limitations with the wireless services though. For one, their “unlimited plans” are usually more expensive than the traditional ISP’s, and often have caps on the amount you can download before they slow you down.

The construction and materials of a building can also affect reception. At my work, cell phones are basically paper weights in large chunks of the building.

Not to mention, the current top speeds are notably slower than the top speeds offered by Comcast, Verizon, and others in many areas. Though there are areas, particularly remote rural ones, where the opposite is true.

And on the topics of computers and technology, is anyone else fed up with the current trend of websites stripping features out of their sites, particularly the mobile ones, to force you to download their apps?

I’m getting fed up with this. It seems over a third of websites have a full page pop up asking you to download their app. Some make it almost impossible to close the add without going to an App Store.

I shouldn’t have to download Google’s app to do a reverse image search today, when I was easily able to do it from their website six months ago. NOT EVERYTHING NEEDS A DAMN APP ON MY PHONE OR LAPTOP!!!

Crunch Report - Week of December 4, 2017

Ethereum and Cartoon Cats

Facebook Messenger Kids

No Wednesday, Thursday, Friday videos

Saekano’s Megumi Assists Smartphone Users via Bluetooth Headset

posted on 2017-12-05 17:15 EST by Jennifer Sherman

I use HughesNet at home, so far they’ve done well by me and that’s pretty much streaming Netflix 24/7

Instead of NN, why aren’t we being urged to harangue the FCC, Congress, and state/local gov’t into breaking up these local ISP monopolies? It seems to me that’s a solution that everyone could agree on…well, except for the ISPs :wink:

My area is the ISP equivalent of the bar in The Blues Brothers: We’ve got both kinds of internet: Comcast and Verizon.

Not a bad idea, but it still doesn’t solve the problem of many communities only having one ISP. It may only change the name of that one company.

It could help competition over all though. Last year, I read an article about certain states passing laws that banned local municipalities form starting their own ISP when companies like Comcast didn’t improve service, or even when those companies refused to service certain areas. One even went as far as requiring municipalities that owned one to either sell it or shut it down.

Interestingly enough, most of these communities found that once they launched their own service, Comcast, Time Warner, and others were able to improve their services almost overnight. Amazing how that worked…

I’d like to hope that any ISP “trust busting” would open up the infrastructure to new competition, similar to the days of dial-up where there were scads of providers in communities.

While I wouldn’t trust my local gov’t to run an ISP (and I wouldn’t want to pay for that; putting in public water was a wallet-destroyer), I’d be shocked if that were ever considered as they’re in tight with the ISPs.

It’s definitely annoying that you can easily switch your phone or electric provider with just a phone call, but your cable and ISP is a whole drawn out process that requires new boxes and wiring.

Crunch Report - Week of December 11, 2017

Apple Confirms Shazam Acquisition

iMac Pro Arrives In Two Days

Glow-in-the-Dark Plants

FCC Kills Net Neutrality

Go-Jek Buys Three Startups

Crunch Report - Week of December 18, 2017

YouTube Red drops Morgan Spurlock’s film

U.S. Government Blames North Korea for WannaCry

Magic Leap Finally Unveils Its Headset

Sequoia Capital’s Next Fund Could Be $5 Billion

No Friday video.