Dubbing Studios discussion

A wizard did it. That’s all everyone needs to know.

A wizard.
Yup…

Wizard
http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/simpsons/images/f/fe/Wizard.jpg

2 Likes

Well, the only thing I know is that John Ledford owns Sentai and Matt Greenfield owns Switchblade Pictures/Maiden Japan, and AEsir Holdings may have a different headquarters from Sentai and Switchblade/Maiden.

If Sentai were to jump on the simul-dub boat by establishing a new studio this could its biggest gamble they have undertaken due to its smaller budget compared to Funimation.

I wonder if what Funi would consider a success would really matter to Sentai as I’m thinking Funi is doing this to drive and keep subscribers on their streaming service.

But if broadcast dubbing is what it takes to stop the “12 episodes worth of lines recorded in a single session” and “12 episode shows dubbed completely in 2 days” situations…

Well, if Sentai’s willing to do something like this then they could outsource to LA and Ocean since this thing that they’re doing is likely going to cost more resources and be riskier than giving some dubs to LA and Ocean.

They did establish a new dubbing studio, Sentai Filmworks Studios, just very recently following them getting this show.

[quote=“celestial_being, post:67, topic:7696”]But if broadcast dubbing is what it takes to stop the “12 episodes worth of lines recorded in a single session” and “12 episode shows dubbed completely in 2 days” situations…
[/quote]

That is very true, though all it does it redistribute the dubbing pattern, and if the home video masters of the broadcast dubs differ significantly from the broadcast masters…

Yep, unfortunately the redub to the home video version of the broadcast dubbed show, if necessary, wouldn’t be protected from the super-speed dubbing.

Sadly I’m just not seeing the incentive for Sentai to broadcast dub. Funi needs content to keep people hooked on its streaming service, and Aniplex of America can throw its dub out there on Crunchyroll for a few extra bucks as doing it won’t cut into their sales of ultra-pricey “collector grade” physical releases.

…Shoot, except for wanting to hear what a Sentai dub would sound like when it is physically impossible for it to be dubbed at super speed, I can’t think of a reason for Sentai to broadcast dub :wink:

Razzmatazz, I haven’t seen anything about Sentai starting a new dubbing studio. They are in the same office building as Seraphim, so it wouldn’t really make much sense for them to do so anyway. Where did you hear this?

@dragonrider_cody this

are we sure Sentai Filmworks Studios isn’t just Sentai Filmworks proper. Any casting choices would be made at Sentai to begin with, and not Seraphim since they’re just a dubbing company not a licensor. Right?

1 Like

Per Admin:

[quote]It should read: “Sentai Filmworks’ studio”.
(lower-case on studio)[/quote]

Meaning the studio at Sentai Filmworks, not a separate entity.

I think you’re read too much into the wording. By saying “studios”, they probably just meant their offices/production facilities, which also house Seraphim’s production studios. As I said, they don’t really have any need to start their own dubbing studio, when one is right down the hallway.

Slowhand and I apparently typed responses at the same time…lol. Damn edit function not working on mobile!

Actually, Seraphim Digital is located in a different building from Sentai’s. How else could Seraphim have clients with Microsoft, Sony and Warner if it were to be located in the same building as Sentai?

Seraphim Digital address: 14027 Memorial Dr. #318 Houston, TX
Sentai address: 5373 West Alabama St. Suite 640 Houston, Texas 77056

Overall according to google maps its around 12 miles away from eachother. I can ride my bike that far in under an hour.

It was formally ADV Studios and Amusement Park, and they had done dubs for Square Enix, Warner, and Microsoft during those times. Even when they were one company, ADV still did outside dubs, mich like how Hollywood studios will use each other’s facilities for sound recording and special effects. That really doesn’t mean anything. And as Slowhand already stated, it wasn’t meant to infer that they had started their own studio.

Not to mention, the address for Sentai may not be their actual offices, but where the owner has them registered for tax purposes. I know previously John Ledford’s home address was where Sentai was registered at. He does live pretty close to their offices.

And look at the real estate listings, Shepard appears to be a residential complex. So it appears that Ledford still has it registered to his home, which isn’t uncommon for small businesses, especially when their offices are shared with multiple entities.

It is interesting that Sentai is taking a page from Bang/Zoom’s book (or, alternatively, the studio that dubbed the Patlabor TV series) and is doing fan auditions.

Does Sentai historically bring so much to this con? They’re bringing more to this rinky-dink (albeit hometown) con than they brought to Otakon. This sounds more impressive than even what Funimation has brought to Otakon. Maybe Sentai is finally movin’ on up?

it’s better to be the big fish in a small pond, than be a small/another fish in an already crowded pond.

If Sentai had brought to otakon what it is bringing to this con then it would have been the biggest fish by far in a pond big enough to land an jet fighter (as Otakon bragged about its Dealers’ Room). In 2013, Sentai might have had the largest “booth” in the place.

I admit it’s tenuous at best, but Sentai upping its game at cons (after 5 years of minimal presence) could mean that they have upped their game in other areas as well, like opening a bona fide new dub studio.

When will Parasyte the Maxim and Akame Ga Kill English Dub be available on this site? I’m currently enjoying them now on Toonami but I’d prefer to watch them here.