Oy There!

Hello all,

I was invited to join this forum by Slowhand since the social media features on Hidive were removed recently (not that they were very active to begin with).

For a brief intro, I first got into anime way back in 2001 watching oldschool Toonami/Adult Swim. I used to tape my favorite shows to keep up with them, and my spending money was regularly eaten up by trips to the bookstore to buy manga. I had sketchbooks full of bad fanart and spent more time doodling in class than paying attention. I was really inspired by the artform during middle school and high school, but mostly took a break during my college and early adult years. I was dirt poor then, so buying entertainment was the furthest thing from my mind. I also had a lingering preconception that anime was really expensive. I didn’t discover streaming sites until 2016, and was amazed at the world of difference between modern availability compared to the olden days. To think a few bucks a month could afford you hundreds of shows you could watch at your convenience - I was so dumbfounded I thought it was a mistake.

Since then I’ve gotten into collecting, and now have a proud (or embarrassing?) shelf full of blu-rays and manga. I watch mostly dubs and am a big fan of Sentai and Funimation.

Looking forward to getting to know you guys!

4 Likes

Welcome to you! Nice intro! Please take a look around the site and join in wherever you like.

Let us know if you have any questions. Enjoy!

4 Likes

Welcome! Hope you enjoy your stay here!

What genres of anime do you like?

Do you have any specific shows that hold a special meaning to you?

3 Likes

I tend to enjoy comedy, slice of life, and satire the most, but I also appreciate pretty much anything with a strong thematic message too.

My top 10 are:

1. Yu Yu Hakusho
  2. Girls Und Panzer
  3. Haruhi Suzumiya
  4. Keijo!!!
  5. Dragon Maid
  6. Amagi Brilliant Park
  7. From The New World
  8. Inuyasha
  9. Chihayafuru
  10. Princess Nine

While we’re on the topic how about you?

4 Likes

Welcome!

I’m the resident curmudgeon at 59 soon to be 60 years of age. I started in Anime geekdom in the early 1960’s with Astro Boy ( Mighty Atom ), Gigantor ( in B&W ) and Speed Racer. My sons got me restarted in the 1990’s and the rest is history.

I overlap with your top 10 quite a bit, GuP, Dragon Maid, Haruhi. If you haven’t watched it yet I’d recommend Girl’s Last Tour.

Mark Gosdin

3 Likes

@MyOnlyFarph

Welcome to you! I’m glad to see that you made it!

Certainly hope you like it here and stick around for a long while.

Since you came over from HIDIVE, let me say that we put a lot of HIDIVE news in this forum. For example, we have a general all-purpose HIDIVE thread where we put Press Releases, Blogs, tweets and other such things.

In the AN Shows category, where each Section23 show is listed as a separate thread, we update it with any new episodes that show up on HIDIVE.

Please cruise around the forum and see what’s up, what’s where and what you like.

Again, welcome!

Slowhand

PS - We also have several threads about anime collections (Recently bought Section 23, Recently bought ‘other studios’, and lists/pictures of members’ collections. And, if you’re interested, there’s also a Manga thread.

As one last note, there is The Rules, I’m sure you know a lot about the basic rules already, but anyway, there is also an outline for posting and how to do coding, etc. on this forum. But, if you can’t find what you’re looking for, just ask! We’re always ready to help.

4 Likes

Welcome to the forum @MyOnlyFarph! :grinning:

I also first got into anime by Toonami. There were so many awesome shows then and still does today. I’m so thankful for that block.

I hope you enjoy yourself here.

4 Likes

Hey! Welcome!

I got into anime mainly during the Sailor Moon days of old. I have actually been a member here for a long time because I was subscribed to the Video On Demand service Anime Network has, and basically switch to their old streaming service here.

Heh, didn’t notice Hidive killed of the social stuff.

3 Likes

@MyOnlyFarph Honestly we overlap a lot as well!
SOL, Comedy, Romance, and Ecchi are my forte, but I will try almost anything aside from Grave of The Fireflies.

My top 10 (This might be hard…)

1. All of Evangelion (Yes including episodes 25 and 26 and the Rebuild movies)
  2. Lucky Star (The first show I ever streamed. Kagami is still my phone wallpaper BTW)
  3. Sailor Moon (One of my first 2 animes ever. Crystal can burn in a ditch though…)
  4. Pokemon (The other of my first 2 animes.)
  5. Eureka Seven (Such a beautiful show. The first half takes a while to get going, but around episode 18 is when it starts getting really good)
  6. To Love Ru / Motto / Darkness / Second (The original was the first Ecchi series I saw. Yami-chan is so cute!)
  7. Inuyasha (Such a good show! I love Rumiko Takahashi’s other series in general too.)
  8. GUP (How can you not like this show? Moe girls driving TANKS :joy:)
  9. Dragon Maid (Can’t wait till later this month when the Blu-ray drops. Already have mine pre-ordered!)
  10. High School DxD / Monster Musume (Sorry. Have to put both.
    DxD is an awesome series in general. Great action scenes, beautiful girls, and a pretty good story.
    MonMusu has one of the best MC’s in a harem anime I’ve seen, and Suu-chan who is the most adorable thing EVER )
4 Likes

@mgosdin Thanks for the recommendation. I started Girls Last Tour, but only finished the first 2 episodes. My Prime membership expired and I don’t plan to renew it, so I’m currently stuck there. I did pick up the first manga volume though. Series seems right up my alley, sort of like a very miserable GUP.

@MaouSadao Also a big fan of Lucky Star. The number of times a bit from that show happens in real life is startling. Every time I forget my tea in the microwave for example…

Monmusu is a guilty pleasure for me too. At first I was shocked by the insane levels of lewdness, but the characters really grow on you, and now it’s one of my go-to shows to relax. The dub cast makes it extra-special for me too.

Grave of the Fireflies I’ve seen once… and for some reason my parents got me it for Christmas (I think they confused it for In This Corner of the World). So it sits on my shelf, but I don’t think I’ll ever be revisiting it again. :neutral_face:

Thanks for all the greetings peeps :smiley:

5 Likes

greetings…and welcome to our friendly mosh pit…

5 Likes

im late to the welcoming party again but anyway welcome to you @myonlyfarph

hope you enjoy both sites weather its posting or watching hope you have a great time

2 Likes