Star Trek TV & Film

Star Trek: Discovery Casts Spock’s Mom, Amanda Grayson

October 1, 2017

Why Critically Acclaimed Discovery Isn’t the Star Trek Fans Wanted

October 1, 2017

Star Trek Discovery Episode 3 “Context Is For Kings” Breakdown!

Ask Matt: Beaming Trek Into Streaming

October 03, 2017 8:55 am

Ask Matt: Continuity on Discovery

October 06, 2017 8:40 am

So I saw Ep 3 of Discovery and there’s just no way that big reveal can jibe with the later series. I wasn’t sure if the show was supposed to be set in the original continuity, or if it was full-on “JJVerse”.

Still, it was interesting to see a scifi show presenting a technology like that as (possibly) being first invented by humans. I’d argue that if some other race had come up with that tech, the Borg would’ve gotten it long ago, and there’d be no more humanity :wink:

NYCC LIVE! Star Trek: Discovery Charts Course for Star-Studded Panel

October 7, 2017

Michelle Yeoh Will Return to ‘Star Trek: Discovery’

October 07, 2017 6:51 pm

Star Trek: Discovery Cast Wants President Trump to Watch the Show

October 9, 2017

Star Trek Discovery Episode 4 Breakdown! "The Butcher’s Knife Cares Not For The Lamb’s Cry"

Dunno, seems more like if there’s a Star Trek for The Donald to see, it’d be Deep Space Nine, as Sisko built that great big beautiful wahhhhhhllllllllll, and stopped all immigration :wink:

More seriously, why do these folks want Trump to watch the show? I read the article but it doesn’t really say; every Star Trek is about optimism/diversity etc.

…I can’t say I’ve heard much about Trump being a TV show watching POTUS. #42 & especially 44 were though, maybe they’d have better luck getting those POTUS to watch STD?

Star Trek 4: Karl Urban Is On Board (If It’s Happening)

October 14, 2017

Star Trek Discovery Episode 5 “Choose Your Pain” Breakdown!

When you finally find out what is needed for spore drive to work, it becomes pretty evident why it was an abandoned technology. It’s definitely not the first time that we’ve seen this happen in Star Trek. Some technology simply comes with too high of a cost.

I think I’ve made my peace with Discovery being part of the “Jar Jar Abrams” modern Trek universe, rather than the classic continuity, so I can take things like albino Klingons, too-advanced technology, and >=Warp 10 speed in stride, without getting hung up on how they jibe with TOS->Enterprise continuity.

The advanced technology is something I’m actually glad they did. It really doesn’t make sense to have a show that is suppose to take place in the future with technology that is less advanced than we have now. I somehow doubt that ships in the 23rd century will be flying around with CRT screens, cardboard paneling, and plastic push buttons lit up by Christmas lights.

I’m enjoying the show so far. It’s not perfect, but it’s a far stronger start than TNG or DS9 got. And of course, Trek series are known for having terrible first seasons. No dudes running around in miniskirts is a big plus. :wink:

Star Trek: Discovery Renewed For Second Season

October 23, 2017

1 Like

Listen to Star Trek VI Composer’s Scrapped Discovery Themes

October 30, 2017

Best Lines of the Week: (Oct. 28-Nov. 3): Star Trek Discovery

November 04, 2017 9:00 am

Ask Matt: Will the TV Industry Discover Discovery?

November 07, 2017 8:13 am

Why not license it to Netflix in the USA as well?

CBS wants to force subscriptions to it’s service. Licensing it to anyone else in the USA would defeat that.

They’ve got a right to try it, they’ve also got a right to fail at it.

Mark Gosdin

2 Likes

‘Star Trek: Discovery’ Chapter 2 to Begin in January

November 09, 2017 1:30 pm

IMO it’s interesting that CBS isn’t trying to strongarm foreigners into paying for All Access.

…Because of the paywall, I’ve seen more of Orville than I have of STD, and while the criticism that Orville is a “TNG fan-fic” holds water IMO, it has been better than I initially thought. Though neither are truly Trek IMHO.

2 Likes