Star Trek TV & Film

I hope not, that’s some serious Fan Fic Trolling if they do. I mean when Q introduced the Borg in TNG, they were billed as the Ultimate users, and they were coming to Federation Space because Q hastened the first Contact with them by about 50 - 100 years before it should have happened.

1 Like

Star Trek: Discovery Season 2 Episode 12 “Through the Valley of Shadows” Breakdown & References!

1 Like

I’ve seen the Trek community pull out a yuge stack of evidence to try and dissuade STD from going down the feared “Control + Ancient Sphere = Borg Origin Story (& Tilly becomes Borg Queen)” path; apparently STD listened to fans and switched their plan for the identity of the Red Angel between the seasons?

One of the pieces of evidence cited that I’d forgotten was the VOY episode “Dragon’s Teeth”, wherein Seven defrosts survivors of civilization who’d been frozen for ~900 years.

The evidence is that these guys had encountered the Borg 900 years prior, well before STD occurs, but what I found interesting was that these guys had weapons that, although stated to be massively outdated, were able to really beat up on Voyager.

I just can’t quite “get” how that can be, it’d be like a Viking longboat beating a WW2 battleship. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

Star Trek: Discovery Season 2 Episode 13 “Such Sweet Sorrow” Breakdown & References!

1 Like

Star Trek: Discovery Season 2 Ep 14 Finale “Such Sweet Sorrow, Part 2” Breakdown & References!

1 Like

I doubt that was ever the case. By the time those theories popped up, the episodes had already been filmed, so any “lobbying” by fans during the second season wouldn’t have made a difference. Like about 90% of the fan “theories” surrounding Discovery, especially the second season, they were false. Not as spectacularly fake as some of the claims that Midnight’s Edge and other YouTubers make up, but definitely way off base.

The season finale was probably one of the weaker episodes of the season, but it was still very entertaining and pulled at the heart strings at the right moments. It also did a decent job of tying up loose strings and finishing up some plot holes and canon incongruities.

I’m very intrigued to see how Discovery will fare so far into the future.

You’re mixing up events from season one and season two. Control and the Red Angel didn’t appear until season two, so there would have been nothing for any fans to lobby over. By the time some started to worry, the episodes had long since been completed.

I think the whole Control plot line was largely a move for the finale that we got, so Discovery could be pushed into the future and close all the canon problems going forward. It wasn’t perfect, but it worked out pretty well and finally closed the door on the mess that Fuller and the previous show runners left behind.

At least we should stop hearing “Why don’t they talk about Discovery or the spore drive?” in the future.

Finally, if you had ever watched the episodes you would know that her suit wasn’t very powerful, and that it wasn’t built in her spare time. She was employed by Section 31 and built the suit for them, which is why the Klingons tried to kill them. The suit was also very easily captured and disabled, and even more easily damaged and destroyed. I hardly consider it more powerful than a starship. It’s time travel ability is certainly no more fantastical than anything that TOS used, and she had very limited control over her destinations.

Discovery Show Runner Confirms How Far Into The Future Discovery Goes

April 21, 2019 01:58 pm

MOD EDIT: Added date.

I know you’re joking, since her suit is so stupidly overpowered that it makes Iron Man greener than The Hulk with envy.

In effect, it gives Mike and his/her mom the ability to travel at Warp 10, only without “evolving” into a randy space lizard :rofl:

Which reminds me, it occurs to me that “Nadesco’ing” the Discovery raises more questions than it answers.

Additionally, I see reviewers throwing a flag on the play as Yeoh’s character is supposed to be rolled over into the prospective Section 31 series…?

And on Section 31, I’d like to believe that Ira Steven Behr was so irked by this alteration to his organization that he changed his beard dye from blue to red :wink:

I don’t believe we’ll ever stop hearing about that until CBS forks over the big bucks to end the lawsuit.

The whole situation is ludicrous: zillions of Star Trek fanfic writers out there who’d have given their ideas gratis but the STD writers had to go and plagiarize some disturbing indie game made by a dissolute Egyptian dev? :face_with_raised_eyebrow: :face_vomiting:

Yeah, it’s a good thing the lawsuit is going absolutely nowhere and has no ground to stand on. Pretty sneaky to attempt to trademark something AFTER Discovery was using it on TV. So far, the guy’s lawyers haven’t even been able to show that anyone out of the hundreds working on Discovery even use Steam, except for one person who’s account was activated AFTER Disco’s first season started. The whole thing is just laughable. The guy even resorted to lying and combining characters to make his case look stronger, which is quite sad. :joy::joy::joy:

If the guy is very lucky, CBS will settle and he will get a very tiny sum that his lawyers will eat most of. If he’s unlikely, he will lose the case in court and be forced to pay all the legal fees.

With all the publicity Discovery has given his game, you’d think it would light a match under his butt to actually get it finished and released, but apparently not.

And no, I wasn’t joking. The suit is very easily captured and disabled, and she has little control of when and where she travels. Hell, a hand held phaser completely destroyed it. Find me a Starship that can be taken out with one single blast like that. It’s still less laughable than doing maximum warp around the sun to travel back in time, because that would never be abused. :roll_eyes:

According to Michelle Yeoh, Season 3 of Discovery will be filmed before the new Section 31 show. They will have an entire season to either send her back in time, or team her up with Section 31 in the future.

Again, it effectively achieved Warp Ten with none of the side effects.

Do you remember Captain Braxton from Voyager? He was the Starfleet “Time Cop” who did so much time travel that he went insane–suffered temporal psychosis–and had to be arrested.

Alex Kurtzman & his cohort are clearly suffering from “temporal psychosis” at this point. :frowning:

CBS using its deep pockets to slow the lawsuit to a crawl doesn’t mean that the lawsuit is without merit.

While the lawsuit is ongoing?

On a side note, would it be too much to ask to use some of STD’s stupidly-yuge budget (which apparently Kurtzman 'n co blew through, but for argument’s sake… :wink: ) to assign Michelle Yeoh a dialogue coach if they’re going to give her an expanded role on a spinoff series?

Okay, we can agree to disagree, but insulting someone’s accent or voice is childish and trolling. That kind of behavior is not needed on TAN, especially considering it’s a website that promotes foreign entertainment.

Insulting? Nice try, but you’ll have to try harder than that as I simply cannot understand her.

In this era, it has been made abundantly clear to me that the most important element in media is that it contains characters to whom the viewer can relate. How can I relate to someone whom I cannot understand?

Worse still, what if I could relate to Yeoh’s character if only there weren’t the immense language barrier barring the way, and that would be the key to me truly “getting” STD?

Ok, I’m just going to stop this conversation right here.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions; no argument here. In this case, you two need to agree to disagree.

I, too, find it hard to understand certain actors, so I turn on the closed-captioning. Problem solved.

Move on from this conversation, or take a vacation from the site.

Slowhand has spoken and shall be obeyed.

EDIT: After reviewing some more of this conversation, I’m under the impression that some may not have watched the series in question. If that’s the case, I don’t even understand why there is a discussion.

If you haven’t watched the series, there should be no ongoing discussion about it.

3 Likes

(For those who haven’t seen STD, Philippa is the first name of Michelle Yeoh’s character)

I noticed a fun coincidence: In a recent episode of The Orville (S02:E13), there’s a retelling of an incident where Seth MacFarlane’s character called a character named “Philippa” by what seemed to be the same similar-sounding, anatomical term that I’ve seen many STD critics use.

Nick and CBS Announce New “Star Trek” Animated Series

April 24, 2019

1 Like

I’ll definitely check out the Nickelodeon show, though I may have to wait until you can buy episodes on iTunes. To be honest though, I’m more looking forward to Lower Decks. Unlike the recent Trek ripoff on Fox, hopefully it will actually be funny or at least entertaining.

Star Trek: Discovery Cast Wants a Crossover With Picard - Comic Con 2019

Patrick Stewart and Picard’s Cast Share Season 1 Details - Comic Con 2019

Star Trek: Picard, Discovery Season 3, Lower Decks Panel Reactions | SDCC 2019