Star Trek TV & Film

Star Trek Discovery Cast On What To Expect In Season 3 and Short Treks | SDCC 2019

‘Star Trek: Lower Decks’ Cast Beams Up Tawny Newsome, Jack Quaid

July 23, 2019

Nickelodeon Crews Up ‘Star Trek’ Toon Writing Team

July 31, 2019

1 Like

Star Trek : Picard NYCC Trailer Breakdown

Why Seven of Nine Blames Picard

1 Like

The more I see of Picard, the more I wonder why CBS didn’t just reboot Firefly.

I don’t understand the premise of Picard. Why is the galaxy suddenly falling into chaos? How’d the Federation become isolationist? How did Seven of Nine become a space guerrilla like Chakotay used to be?

What concerns me is that there are no writers from the “Classic Treks” being featured, and PatStew is involved in writing this one. I believe everyone agrees that Patrick Stewart is a great Trek actor, but everyone knows that he’s not a great Trek writer.

1 Like

Picard’s 10 Best Episodes Of Star Trek The Next Generation

2 Likes

Picard: All The Different Datas Explained

Patrick Stewart: Why Did Picard Leave Starfleet?

Picard: Episode 1 Premiere Review (No Spoilers)

https://youtu.be/bB2-WUybikE

How Picard Changes Everything For Star Trek (SPOILERS)

https://youtu.be/BDPeoAst_IU

Star Trek: The History of the Borg Timeline

https://youtu.be/d-01AQryzPs

Star Trek: Picard Episode 1 "Remembrance" Breakdown & Easter Eggs

https://youtu.be/mwl97J24tJ0

1 Like

11 Times Star Trek Predicted The Future

Picard: Inside the Borg Cube - Official Clip

Picard: What’s Really Happening on the Borg Cube? (SPOILERS)

Star Trek: Picard Episode 2 “Maps and Legends” Breakdown & Easter Eggs

Star Trek: Picard - Who Is Raffi Musiker?

Picard Episode 3 Totally Changed the Classic Borg Hugh (SPOILERS)

Star Trek: Picard Episode 3 “The End Is the Beginning” Breakdown & Easter Eggs

Three episodes in and I’m really enjoying it. The pacing is a bit slower and more deliberate than many sci-fi series, but I think it works well because there is 20 years of lore to catch up on.

I really love how the Romulans are getting a bit more fleshed out as a race. Even the episodes where they were featured in TNG and DS9, Little was done to explore the culture, especially when compared to other races like the Klingons and their cousins the Vulcans. I also like how they included classic TOS style Romulans and a mix of TNG Romulans with the forehead ridge. It’s a nice way to explain the changes since TOS without making a ridiculous, convoluted story line like Enterprise did with the Klingons.

I’m looking forward to the rest of the season, though I’m disappointed that there are only seven episodes left in it.

It is still strange to me that Patrick Stewart seems to be an action hero trapped in a Shakesperean actor’s body. He might be the greatest example of a disconnect between an actor and his iconic roles that I know of.

With the future of Season 2 of STP still up in the air, maybe Patrick Stewart could get in touch with Stallone’s agent and appear in The Expendables to finally scratch that action itch?

On STP, I am wondering why there is profanity as profanity was, according to Star Trek IV, extinct by the time of Kirk.

Except when they used profanities in TOS, TNG, DS9, Voyager, and Generations, to just name a few. I’m sure Sisko would have slipped an F-bomb or two had Paramount not been worried about FCC fines. He certainly didn’t have a problem with other profanities that avoided regulator intervention. Honestly, that line in IV is more the inconsistency than the use of obscenities in Picard.

I think the only Trek that was completely free of the occasional swear word was The Animated series, for obvious reasons. The only difference is with the shows streaming now, they can say more than just the lower level ones and get away things more like Data’a use of “sh*t” in Generations.

If there is anything consistent about Star Trek, it’s the little inconsistencies that pop up after 50 years. I just role with them at this point, especially when they are so insignificant.

I can’t picture Sisko dropping an F-bomb, it seems too undignified. Though with Avery Brooks’ strange inflection on the letter “B”, more creative profanity that emphasized that letter could have been fun, albeit still too crass for my liking. I could see O’Brien swearing, I suppose. Though I’ll stick to my phasers and maintain that Starfleet members might be “space sailors” but they shouldn’t swear like a sailor.

It would have been neat to see that Robert Picardo were still the EMH. The man could likely have been hired for the role on the cheap, and since it is a different timeline we would not have to worry about the developments that “Bob” underwent in Voyager.

I wonder how much more appeal this could have had for folks if it had marketed itself as being more like “Firefly with Captain Picard”? Raffi especially seems like she drew inspiration from Zoe in Firefly.

Also, it would be swell if the show would address the #1 criticism of the plot thus far: Why would the Romulans need the Federation to build an ad hoc fleet and bring them in as refugees because the Romulans lost just one planet out of their entire empire?

1 Like

They didn’t lose just one planet. There were multiple planets and colonies in range of the supernova and billions of lives at stake. It helps if you actually watch the show. :wink: