Thread Archive: Forum Launch 2009-2014

[quote=“YemeniLuigi”]
Hmmmm I can get used to these changes. . .I like it.[/quote]

I agree. I also like the new look!
Slick

1 Like

I like the new look, though I’m sad you took away the “Who’s Online” option.
However, I have a real problem with how the site runs now.
The site as a whole and forums specifically, have a severe memory leak on IE9.

This is what my Task Manager looks like having had 9 tabs open to various places on the site, most were the forum.
I had the same 9 tabs open before the maintenance and it was NEVER like this.
The way it is now, I pretty much can’t use the site at all, since it sucks up 80-90% of my CPU.

Yeah, it’s running super slow for me aswell, even with 1 tab.

I can’t believe the post preview button is gone though… That’s my best friend when typing these posts up. I have to type out the emoticons too. :dry:

1 Like

We’ll be working on this stuff tomorrow, thanks guys!

1 Like

The signatures are a little messed up.

There’s a gap between the end of a signature and the bottom of the actual post. (I highlighted my signature so it’s easier to see.)

Looking at my profile page (the way we used to edit signatures and stuff), the signature apparently should look like this:

The little bug/dark picture should be below my other picture.

But when you click the edit button in the top right corner, you get a whole lot of nothing.

On a side note, where did the preview post button go?

Hey Coffee, will you try the pages again? I found a javascript conflict that might account for what you were seeing.

Cheers!

1 Like

Well, I was going to ask what happened to the BBCode help buttons, as they’d been completely missing with every other post I’ve made, but on this reply they’ve appeared. Although I know some of the BBCode (it’s based on HTML after all) I don’t know the correct BBCode for URL’s (as that’s one of the distinctly different ones) even though I do occasionally use it. I also didn’t recognize the one for spoilers at first, but that one I’ve managed to memorize (thank you P4). Oh, and for those looking for the Preview button, there are two different versions, just beside the ‘help’ icon in the BBCode line (found it while looking through to see what all BBCode options were listed), it’s even a ‘live’ preview pane at that, which I personally prefer.

The only complaint I have left (since I don’t use a signature, although I’ve noticed on a few that there is an artist on the site, so I might look into getting one commissioned) is that the site runs horrendously slow. Seriously, it runs slower post-update on Firefox 10.0 than it did pre-update on Firefox 9.0, and 10.0 is noticeably faster than 9.0 for most surfing (although my list of comics I check is long enough to make enough tabs to slow things down, but that’s probably my ISP being a pain in the unmentionables).

@The Coffee God: Thankfully I do most of my surfing on my Linux box, so although I don’t know how to check my system resource usage on it it uses few enough that I’m not hitting that problem. Although, I’ve gotta ask, are you using a dual-core 2.0 GHz processor? That might explain some of the problems I had watching Broken Blade around 0200 this morning, as I watch dubbed stuff on my Vista box so I can comfortably work on a console game at the same time (both of my machines use dual-core 2.0 GHz processors).

1 Like

I had said before that when trying to edit my signature, clicking the Edit button didn’t help.

Clicking the edit button now works, and I was able to edit my signature.
Turns out that this new setup allows for there to be more than one image per line in the signature, so to get it to go underneath, I had to insert a break after the first image.
That’s br] in BBCode in case any of you were wondering.
(obviously without the space after the first bracket, I had to put that there so it didn’t think I was putting in a break.)

There’s still that gap between the bottom of the signature and the bottom of the window, which bothers me a bit, but it’s not really a big deal :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“akpoff”]
Hey Coffee, will you try the pages again? I found a javascript conflict that might account for what you were seeing.

Cheers![/quote]

All my CPU columns are at zero, and none of my Memory numbers are jumping around like before.

Thanks very much!!

[quote=“Hornet65”]
On a side note, where did the preview post button go?[/quote]

See this post.

1 Like

the new site is werid

1 Like

[quote=“soul22”]
the new site is werid[/quote]

Thanks for your constructive feedback!

On a more relevant subject, I am also having issues with the load time from page-to-page.

Edit:

Nevermind! It seems much faster now, and only slightly sluggish.

1 Like

[quote=“Inphy”]

[quote=“soul22”]
the new site is werid[/quote]

Thanks for your constructive feedback!

On a more relevant subject, I am also having issues with the load time from page-to-page.

Edit:

Nevermind! It seems much faster now, and only slightly sluggish.[/quote]

It’s definitely slower than the previous version. We’re digging in trying to figure out what’s going on.

1 Like

The grey buttons at the top are gone!!! How am I supposed to know what rules I should be breaking? How am I supposed to find all the recent discussions!? The world as we know it is coming to an end!!! :open_mouth:

EDIT: It all works now!! YAY!

On a less apocalyptic note, I do like that profile pictures can be a lot bigger now, and you can adjust what part of the picture is showing. :slight_smile:

I forgot to ask earlier, but what happened to all of the news/blog articles? They’re missing.

@Hornet65: There is a BBCode for displaying code [code]code
The BBCode help button for it is the one with the <>'s on the image (and why use bracket’s for HTML when it’s for BBCode I don’t know).

Also, in the preview window this is looking a little funky, so let’s see how this actually posts out.:stuck_out_tongue:

EDIT: It won’t display it correctly, but it uses a standard closing bracket after the code you want displayed, it just can’t display itself. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

And now I’ve found a smiley that isn’t in the database, surprising considering the winking tongue goes back to the '90’s.

1 Like

[quote=“Razmoudah”]
I forgot to ask earlier, but what happened to all of the news/blog articles? They’re missing.[/quote]

Not only is there a big empty space on the front page, the only link in that large white rectangle http://www.theanimenetwork.com/myblog produces a nasty 404 message.

[quote=“SpaceCobraJoe”]

[quote=“Razmoudah”]
I forgot to ask earlier, but what happened to all of the news/blog articles? They’re missing.[/quote]

Not only is there a big empty space on the front page, the only link in that large white rectangle http://www.theanimenetwork.com/myblog produces a nasty 404 message.[/quote]

I believe they’re going to do something different with the blog. Stay tuned.

[quote=“akpoff”]

Cheers![/quote]

Thanks!
That seems to have fixed the major CPU problem.
It definitely uses more CPU than the previous incarnation when doing nothing but just sitting there moving the mouse around in circles.

Other than the unusually long load times, which you already know about and are looking into, I have nothing else major to add yet.

-edit-
Correction.
It seems I’m getting IE errors after making a post.
The page won’t load, but the post does go through, and editing works fine.

-edit again-
Oddly, after making a few other posts, apparently, it seems to be working fine, it was just this initial post that did that error.

Have the walls been completely abandoned now? I know they were just fixed not too long ago, but it appears that they’ve been scrapped altogether.

1 Like

Yeah, this version of Jomsocial did away with walls, your activity stream is integrated with walls now.

1 Like