Vandread

Yes, very nice find Coffee. Though I did have to take a closer look at it to realize what was going on there. At first glance, I got an entirely different perception…lol :stuck_out_tongue:

I was hoping I would have been able to join in on this one, but between the holidays, work, and being sick, I haven’t had much time. Though I think i will have to rewatch this soon. I don’t know if I’ve ever seen the entire thing. I remembering recording in on WAM a few years ago, but I don’t know if I caught every episode.

One of the best sets of episodes of part 1 of the series, that’s for sure. :slight_smile: This might be my favorite set of episodes of this portion of the show, so far.

spoiler
  • One little part that always annoyed me about the women in this part of the series is how they just all jump on the men, due to Paiway’s misunderstanding and self-centered feelings on this special day. But what bugs me is how the roles of the crew and leadership suddenly reverse and the leaders just let this lunacy go on. :stuck_out_tongue: It’s just intentional melodrama that always felt so … well, intentional. :wink:

• Loved the scenes when Hibiki ran off and was able to experience first-hand healthy female and male relationships, but also his experience of death. He finally realizes this isn’t just a game anymore.

• Great conclusion with the over-the top plan and finally winning back the women’s good graces. This climactic battle especially borrows strongly from Super Robot elements with bold and over the top maneuvers to overcome great challenges. :slight_smile:

That was kind of why I made it.

I have one more that I made, but it’ll have to wait until tonights viewing.

spoiler

I complete agree with Dragoon’s second comment. I think that episode is probably my favorite of the first season of Vandread. That episode just has so much meaning for Hibiki and helps him grow as a person. Now off to start the second stage! :laugh:

Second Stage 1–4

I love this OP/ED as well. I think “Justice” is one of my all time favorite songs.

spoiler

Hibiki, Dita, Jura, and Meia all share a dream. But it seems that the Paksis was communicating with them, however it is red this time.

No matter what is going on, Dita is chasing Hibiki and tries to get him to commit to a time to visit her room. Hibiki is worried about what they will talk about and won’t commit.

Another funny moment of Duero reading a baby book.

Still touching on the differences between men and women. Barnette still doesn’t like the men at all.

Pyoro is so cute with the hiccups!

Great scene of Jura wanting to have a baby. She wants to be the first one to make a baby with a man. This shocks Barnette, more so when Jura asks Barnette to find out how to get a man’s seed. So funny!

In the next battle, Jura practically propositions Hibiki. But the red light from their dream appears and Hibiki refuses to let the dream come true. He makes his own reality.

They rescue the pod with Misty. When she wakes up, she calls Hibiki “lord prince” and hugs Hibiki. Love the reactions of Barnette, Jura and Dita. Later Misty claims she fell in love with Hibiki at first sight and Dita is so obviously jealous.

BC tries to analyze the communication device that was in Misty’s pod and it infects the ship with a virus. Ezra goes into labor and in getting her to the doctor, the elevator shuts down because Paksis is having problems with this virus. Of course this is also when the enemy attacks.

So, Dita and Hibiki have to deal with delivering Ezra’s baby, while getting direction from a doctor reading a book! When the doctor becomes unsure, the Captain takes over. Ezra makes Hibiki and Dita promise to be friendly towards each over. Funny scenes of Hibiki trying to deliver the baby and then making Dita take over. And Duero learns that not everything comes out of a book. Hibiki faints! Figures! But even in the worst of situations, new life can’t be stopped.

The baby’s cry stops the virus and the ship stabilizes. The enemy is driven off. But the elevator breaks and starts to fall. Pyoro saves them! Now that the baby’s cry unlocked the communication device, the message finally fills in the rest of the blanks and gives them the full story of Earth.

Great scene of Misty kissing Hibiki on the lips! Hibiki faints and Dita fumes! Hysterical!

I think the next episode is the saddest of the series. Really tugs at the heart strings and very hard to get through. They are all trying to help save a planet of disease – explained as an Earth experiment. It is the first time that Duero feels rage towards Earth and he feels helpless. Sad that the people of the planet can’t even bury their dead, but have to allow a ship from Earth to come and collect the bodies.

Even in this situation of trying to protect the planet, Jura is after Hibiki.

Bart befriends a child, Shirley, who has spent her entire life since birth sick in bed. He entertains her with outrageous stories and as sick as she is, she is making a doll for Bart and this touches him. The doctor can’t do much for her, so Bart reads some books on medicine and anatomy. He is determined to save her, especially when she tells him that she’d like to go outside.

He tells Duero he’d give anything to save her, including his organs, but the doctor knows it is hopeless. Bart’s line – “the fist time that I’ve ever seen anyone happy about anything I’ve done” killed me.

And of course the enemy shows up and Bart has to go, but doesn’t want to leave Shirley’s bedside. He vows to protect her with his life. Now that Bart has a real reason to fight, he becomes stronger and saves everyone. He is no longer a coward.

In the meantime, with their help, a healthy baby is born on the planet. The people are happy because now they have hope for the future. They are sure that the planet will be saved now, even though they won’t be around to see it.

Bart rushes back to Shirley, only to find that she died. He breaks up and sees the unfinished doll. The doll looks just like him, but is missing hair. Later the Captain finds him outside and asks him if it is the first time he’d lost someone he loved. Bart starts to cry and the Captain gives him some words of encouragement and tells him that it is ok to cry.

Later, back on the ship, Bart walks onto the bridge to surprised reactions from the crew. He is bald and is wearing the unfinished doll around his neck. I think Bart grew so much in this one episode. He is more mature and has more confidence and determination.

Then the group visits a space station to get some supplies. It is a place of outcasts and refugees from the harvesters. BC is leading the group this time and they find out that they are the “entertainment”. BC has to fight the leader of the colony, Miss Liz. BC uses a whip and has a real talent! But Liz cheats and BC is saved by none other than Rabat.

Another version of the enemy attacks and they all have to work together to survive. Barnette gets to use her vintage guns and seems to be enjoying herself! Dita and Hibiki manage to escape and combine, but it is a little different this time. Pyoro is with them and says that the cockpit looks “kinky” and he can “smell the sexuality”. Hibiki’s reaction makes it all the more funny.

After the enemy is defeated, Liz and Rabat are having a drink. Hibiki, Dita, Pyoro, Butan and Liz’s sidekick are all spying on them. Dita wants to see what an adult relationship looks like. But Butan is jealous and breaks away from them, interrupting the tender scene and disappointing everyone. Oh well!

And poor Barnette, looking for her antique guns!!

I did watch it tonight, but since I haven’t been sleeping well lately, I’m super tired, so I’ll write my little report when I wake up later.

I’ll leave you with one of my favorite scenes on this DVD though…

Pic

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/thecoffeegod/home/an/bcwhip.gif

Been a couple of months since I saw it last but had to jump in.

spoiler

I completely agree with LadyOfWicca about the disease planet episode. That was a very sad episode but Bart grew so much in it. I get teary eye when I see him decided to look like the doll since the girl could not make the doll look like him. Also when the captain comforts him is such a touching scene. I think this is my favorite episode of the whole series.

S2 DVD 1 (episodes 1-4)

This is one of my favorite S2 set of episodes.

spoiler

From the laughs and giggles of the new entity onboard to the depressing moments of the planet they visit.
Man, the disease planet episode always gets to me though.
I was bawling last night.
Bart shows that there’s more to his personality than just running away though, and also shows the power of the Paksis.

And of course, BC just kicks all kinds of butt in the last episode. That whip part is just so fun, what with the clashing of egos.

Also, that part when she picks up the shotgun and asks to borrow it. In mid-sentence, as Barnette is saying are you sure you know how to use it, BC blows away a whole bunch of the blobs, and turns to Barnette and says, were you saying something?
-lol-

S2 DVD 1

I too thought this was an extremely packed and great set of episodes, even after watching it for maybe the 8 or 9th time or so now. :smiley:

Coffee did you find those images specifically or did you have to make it yourself? Surprised those in specific were available. :slight_smile:

spoiler

So now we know exactly what the harvest is all about…

• Love triangle action begins. I love how she gets under Dita’s skin and makes Hibiki all confused with her forwardness. :slight_smile:

• The Bart-centric episode with the diseased planet was one of the most touching episodes in the entire series and has always been one of my favorites as well. The music especially was really nice, when Bart got on the ship to protect it with the piano and trumpet duo theme. I always thought that scene and the music were very fittingly powerful.

• Pyro and his self sacrifice, when he agreed to distract Butan and said something like lick me gently. LOL

• The shotgun part was also one of my favorite LOL scenes. And also at the very end of episode 4, where Barnette was scrambling around for the guns, and Jura was just ignoring her. LOL

I made them several years ago, back when I had a working ROM on my computer.
The thing about making .gif files is, they’re very time consuming, especially big ones, like the BC whip one and the first Hibiki one I posted.
Each one of those contain 69-70 separate screenshots.

Ah that’s what I thought. I mean animated gifs are pretty hard to find of selected scenes, but to have those two ones of note would have been supreme luck. :smiley:

I can imagine how time consuming they’d be to make!

S2 DVD 2 (episodes 5-7)

I think one of the things I have always loved most about this series is the flip flop between comedic moments and serious moments, and the serious moments being of the more heartwrenching type that most people can identify with.

To me, this series was unique in the fact, that I got invested in the characters early on, within the first few episodes the first time I watched it, so all the later drama that happens, tends to really hit hard.

spoiler

Not sure how many people actually skip over the OP/ED parts of the series, but starting with the first episode on this DVD, you get to see the changed bald Bart in the OP animation.

:frowning:
Gascogne saves Barnette, not once, but twice… and the last time, she sacrafices herself to do so.
And also in doing so, gives the rest of the team the opening they needed to get the job accomplished.

I love the whole Dita/Hibiki romance and how it progresses throughout the series. Especially when Misty enters and gets involved.
It definitely lends to a softer come down after the first two episodes tonight.

Second Stage 5-7

spoiler

Misty and Dita are trying to win Hibiki over with food. Hibiki gets annoyed with both of them.

The enemy attacks. This time they have copied the Nirvana. Jura is injured and Barnette goes into a rage. Gascogne saves her against her will, this angers her, and she lashes out at Gascogne. It was sweet of Hibiki to tell Duero to make sure Jura doesn’t have any scars.

Got some background on Gascogne and the loss of her sister. When they go out to fight the enemy again, Gascogne is lost. Hibiki goes into a rage this time. But it seems that the blue Paksis is afraid of the red Paksis and takes over the Nirvana, fleeing from the enemy and rejecting Bart.

The loss of Gascogne affects the whole crew, including the Captain. Sad scene of her putting Gascogne’s picture into a cabinet of what appears to contain pictures of others that the Captain has lost. This still affects me even though I know what is going to happen.

Interesting scenes of Duero trying to figure out Hibiki’s information. A nice mystery there!

They are still being pursued by the enemy and decide to use Misty’s virus on the mother ship. The virus seems to work, but one of the machines resists and attacks, damaging everyone but Barnette. She is told to go back to the Nirvana, but she doesn’t want to leave them.

And a new combo is formed!! This time, all three girls have combined with Hibiki – and I see that Dita is still on poor Hibiki’s lap! They defeat the enemy and return to the ship.

Everyone is still sad over the loss of Gascogne and Barnette makes the decision to take over her position, perhaps because she never got the chance to apologize to Gascogne. Even Hibiki feels the loss and it is very sad when he turns over the cards, to show a winning hand.

Then the men’s quarters flood, which turns out to be quite funny. I like how calm, cool and collected Duero is, huddled on his bed with his books and then water pours over his head!

Misty says that Hibiki can stay with her, but he refuses. Bart says that he will stay with her, and she calls him a “light bulb head”!

Pyoro locks Paiway up, so the baby won’t catch her cold. He is very protective of Pyoro II!

Parfet asks Duero to stay with her and he refuses, preferring to stay in his office. She seems disappointed.

Hibiki ends up staying with his Van Guard and Misty brings him food. Dita is also bringing him food, but decides not to intrude on the two of them.

Some of the crew spies on Hibiki and Misty to see how a relationship works. I love the line – “boyfriend – what’s that?” These women are so clueless, but they’re learning! Dita runs out when Misty starts spoon feeding Hibiki.

Funny scene of Bart with a cold, hiking through the corridor. He wants to stay with BC, but she refuses him.

Then Misty tells Hibiki that desert is in her room. Dita meets them in the corridor and tries to give Hibiki a gift, but Misty slaps it out of her hand and it breaks. Misty tells Dita to stay out of their way and they end up playing tug of war with Hibiki. Hibiki gets mad and says that he’s had it with both of them, before leaving. Dita cries and doesn’t even know why.

Meia advises Hibiki regarding his feelings for Dita. By this time, the whole ship knows how they feel about each other. Sweet scene of Hibiki unpacking his things and the Santa Alien is right on top. When he sees it, I think he is finally realizing his feelings for Dita. Misty shows up and tries to make Hibiki understand how she feels and Hibiki lets her stay.

Sad scene of Dita thinking of Hibiki and crying, then becoming determined to win his affection. She goes to visit him, but finds Misty hugging him and runs off. This is when Misty finally realizes the feelings between Hibiki and Dita and that she has lost. Nice scene of her being comforted by Meia. It looks like she is transferring her affection for Hibiki to Meia, calling her “big sister” and startling her.

I like that when Jura has had enough, she locks Hibiki and Dita up together, with the whole ship watching them on camera. It takes a long time, but Hibiki looks like he is going to finally say something to Dita, when he is saved by the alarm.

As they go to fight the enemy, it seems that Dita knows what is in Hibiki’s heart and is happy.

And poor Paiway is still locked up – they forgot all about her!

S2 DVD 2 (episodes 5-7)

spoiler

These were some of my favorite episodes in the whole series so far.

• Gascogne’s focus was really touching as she’s been one of the more integral characters so far. Sad to see what happens, in the first 2 episodes. :frowning:

• I love how because of this Barnette grows as a character to fill the void left by Gascogne. Even becoming a nicer crew-member when Hibiki was wandering around the ship thinking and lost. She filled the void of someone Hibiki could talk to, as Gascogne did in the past, but something Barnette really never did in the past.

• The final episode of the DVD has to be perhaps my second favorite episode of the show, with the love triangle angle and the growing realization of feelings between Hibiki and Dita… however the ending is such a tease. :stuck_out_tongue:

• LOL’d at the scene between Meia and Misty when Misty calls her big sister… Meia has this perplexed and shocked look that always makes me laugh each and every time.

• Through these episodes lots of foreshadowing on who Hibiki really is.

S2 DVD 2

spoiler

Most of what I wanted to say has been said, but I feel sorry for Bart during the flood! No one wants him in their quarters. And Misty calling him “lightbulb head” :woohoo:

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that. Very fun scene. :smiley:

S2 DVD 3 (episodes 8-10)

spoiler

The first episode tonight with Meia and the baby was really touching.
Meia finally smiles!

Followed by the growth of Hibiki as well as the knowledge of who he really is.

But the final episode just absolutely blew me away the first time I saw it.
BC… A MAN!!!
:woohoo:
Even knowing it now, it’s still one of those plot twists that makes you go WTF?!?!

This is also one of the reason I couldn’t choose him/her for one of my picks in the Claim Your Bishoujo/Bishounen thread.
I really would have too, had it not been for this fact, he/she just kicks all kinds of butt, and is a perfect pick for me.

Second Stage 8-10

spoiler

It is Meia’s birthday and everyone wants to throw her a surprise party, but Meia has a bad habit of disappearing on her birthday every year. So, this time the men help in getting Meia to stay on the ship. They decide to get her to babysit. But Pyoro is upset over this.

In the meantime, BC talks to Ezra about being a mother. Ezra is very unsure how to be a good mother and I thought that it was nice of BC to tell her that they were all there to help her.

When the enemy shows up, Meia and the baby accidentally fall into an escape pod and it launches. Nothing works and they start to lose oxygen.

When it turns out that Meia is missing, Jura takes over leading the team. She has changed too, becoming more determined since the loss of Gascogne.

And the enemy keeps adapting to their attacks, changing with every fight and forcing them to change their tactics as well.

Meia is also experiencing the uncertainties of motherhood. But then she has a vision of her own mother and remembers her mother’s love is always with her. She becomes even more determined to save them from the pursuing enemy. When they begin to lose oxygen, she puts the baby in the spacesuit, and is willing to sacrifice herself.

They are saved just in time and when Pyoro and Ezra fight over the crying baby, Meia takes her and she quiets immediately. It seems that she and the baby have bonded. Meia smiles!! And they are able to surprise Meia for her birthday.

In the next fight, they have it pretty rough and Hibiki ends up crashing on a planet. The men that find him speak by telepathy. It also turns out that this is where Rabat is from.

Back on the ship, everyone is worried about Hibiki. You see how important he has become to them.

Hibiki is taken back to the village and it is also a village of men and women. He is told that they are a people without voices because Earth took that ability and exiled them to that planet, so they learned telepathy.

Hibiki is sent to the Cave of the Spirits to undergo a warrior’s trial. He experiences many doubts, but continues to climb.

Back on the ship, Duero is still trying to access Hibiki’s medical records and Pyoro shows up. He is the voice of the Paksis again and unlocks the info, wanting to know what Hibiki is.

At the same time, Hibiki is communicating with the Paksis and is trying to answer the same question and prove his existence. He has some visions of a possible past on the colony ship. With the Paksis, Jura, Meia and Dita are tied to him and they suddenly all know where he is.

Duero finds out that Hibiki is of the first generation and was aboard the original colony ship. He was placed into cold sleep, but there is still some mystery here.

The Paksis speaks to Hibiki through the voice of Pyoro and Hibiki finally realizes that the Paksis is alive.

Rabat shows up and we get some of his back story. The shaman says that he and Hibiki are alike in many ways. I like the beautiful sand painting. It has Hibiki in the center of the universe, surrounded by the Vandreads – “blue kachina, white wings, and red claw”.

In speaking with the Paksis, Hibiki wants to fight for his comrades because he has come to care for them and wants to protect them. He wants to be strong for them. But when the red light shines, he fights it and finds that the proof of his existence is the circle of life. Then he finds his own words and is reborn a warrior!

Back on the ship, Parfet also finally realizes that the Paksis is a living organism. She mentions that she will have to start working closely with Duero. He is startled by this until she says that the Paksis will need treatments instead of repairs.

Dita goes to pick up Hibiki. The shaman places a stone on his forehead and tells him that he now has a homeland and family. Hibiki seems really touched by this and he gives a very humble thank you.

They have finally neared Megere, but Misty feels left out and alone. Dita has a wish to stay with Hibiki. Jura notices a change in Hibiki. He has matured. He wants to see the future with his own eyes. But when Jura tells him to make a baby with Dita, he freaks out. I like when Jura says that he’s “not very honest”. Funny!

Misty is in the Paksis area, feeling very lonely. Pyoro, taken over by Paksis, speaks to her and talks about solitude and being alone. We finally get the complete story of the Paksis and how the other half is on Earth.

Jura is still talking to Hibiki about making a baby and I love his reaction – “I don’t even know how to make one” – hysterical!

Later, at the banquet, Parfet and Duero pair off. Bart sees them and gives a funny line – “Duero and Parfet are having that kind of relationship?” Then he sees BC alone and wants to make his move. He hands her a very poorly written invitation to accompany him to the banquet and she rejects him. He ends up crying his eyes out!

Meia finds Misty in the Paksis area and talks to her about loneliness. Dita joins them and befriends Misty, saying that she can stay with her on Megere. Misty seems really touched by this.

There is a sweet scene between Duero and Parfet where he says – “I feel much less uncertain around you” and she says that she likes that about him too.

But the Nirvana has hit a Taraak defense system and it asks for an ID code. As the timer counts down, the Captain glances at BC. Suddenly BC reveals herself! She is really a man! BC presses the gem at her throat, and in a male voice gives the proper ID code and saves the ship. I loved Bart’s reaction!! But Hibiki looks like he feels betrayed.

So, it turns out that BC is a spy, but is surprised that the Captain knew this all along. As she is locked in the brig, Duero says that he has learned many new things – one thing being that people can change. It ends with them being surrounded by both Taraak and Megere forces. Can’t wait for the final episodes tomorrow!!

S2 DVD 3 (episodes 8-10)

spoiler
  • I liked the Meia episode as well. She’s always been one of my favorite characters in the show. The baby part and pyoro’s constant fussing over the baby get annoying after so many times though. Sometimes pyoro makes me wish someone puts it in an escape pod and leaves it out to space for good. :stuck_out_tongue:

• Jura and her melodrama continue to be great. I love the way she toys with people. :wink:

• Bart and his trying to win over BC. That note he wrote… with all the “proper” but messed up phrasing always makes me laugh each and every time.

• Poor Bart, snubbed and his male ego diminished so greatly. Only to find out he was in love with a man. LOL. Male ego damage x2.

• Back to the all important climax with BC… the first time I saw that plot twist, it totally took me by surprise. :smiley: What a cliffhanger, and in our case tonight a way to end the DVD. Absolutely can’t wait for tomorrow’s final DVD, my favorite set of episodes of the series collectively.

spoiler

Don’t you find it interesting how disappointed Bart is to find out BC is actually a man? Considering that where he is from, being with a man would not be a strange thing, it shows how being with the women has changed him.